• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
32 32

3,550 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's about a 6.0 :) but not bad for $2 :) 

Oh and it's my first EVER price variant AND I found it in the WILD at the LCS!

Defenders 37 Price Variant 30 cent usually is 25.jpg

Oh you're in trouble now. You can't stop with just one.

1 hour ago, PeterPark said:

just got Drewbizzed on a Sgt. Fury 142 CGC 8.0...I think it sold for a great deal actually...

someday...

Sorry you didn't get it. I didn't bid but I think you are right with it ending at a great price. I don't think Drewbizz won it, he has over 30K+ feedback. The person won it with 2800+ feedback.

Oh, y'know what I think you are right...I always try to guess from the letters you can see...now that eBay keeps that stuff private. I always think with issues like that that are so hard to find, grade only matters to a point....then it almost hurts the book. Like with IF 14, I was never looking for higher than like VG...SW 1 does not follow this trend at all obviously, but when it comes to an expensive issue like the big 9, I'd rather have a copy than pay a lot for one.

23 hours ago, PeterPark said:

just got outbid last second on a Sgt. Fury 142 CGC 8.0...I think it sold for a great deal actually...

someday...

That was a tough one. I stopped by sub to the GPA page so could not guesstimate this one's value but it sure is cool and rare. Say that Inhumans too with the Hulk but the kid wrote his name on Hulk's teeth so I backed off anything above $50. Love tracking these and contemplating bidding, etc.

On 1/14/2018 at 5:23 PM, PeterPark said:

just got outbid last second on a Sgt. Fury 142 CGC 8.0...I think it sold for a great deal actually...

someday...

You got the #141 at a great bin price if I recall

Everything eventually comes around again

You might even find one in the wild.

First, I am looking for input on CGC scoring of the Marvel 30¢ price variant set in the CGC Registry.  Acc. to CGC, "Every comic book receives a 'score' or point value associated with its scarcity, desirability, and certified grade."  As I reviewed the scoring for this set, it appeared some titles/issues were relatively underscored, esp. the horror titles, most of the Western titles, and Sgt Fury issues.  It also appeared to me that some titles/issues were relatively over-scored, e.g., Howard The Duck, Iron Fist, Marvel Team-Up, Tomb of Dracula 43-45.  I was puzzled by  several other things in the scoring of this set, e.g., all the ASM issues are scored the same when they all have about the same desirability but there are substantially fewer high grade CGC graded 158s and 159s.  Am I wrong about the CGC scoring of the Marvel 30¢ price variant set?  I am pretty new to Marvel price variants and to this chat board, so if I am way off base on this, I apologize.  Also, if this has already been discussed ad nauseam on this board, I apologize.

Second, below is a low grade book which was hidden in a lot I recently bought on eBay.20180207_165741.thumb.jpg.696fb6a5aa6f38b6153114dc0b9f1517.jpg eBay.

3 hours ago, ComicVein said:

I saw that one, it was too damaged. Thanks 

Then do a little homework and don't waste people's time posting in the wrong forum.

Start by looking for high grade copies in the registry and message the owner, short of that try the WTB.

On 2/7/2018 at 7:06 PM, androolx said:

First, I am looking for input on CGC scoring of the Marvel 30¢ price variant set in the CGC Registry.  Acc. to CGC, "Every comic book receives a 'score' or point value associated with its scarcity, desirability, and certified grade."  As I reviewed the scoring for this set, it appeared some titles/issues were relatively underscored, esp. the horror titles, most of the Western titles, and Sgt Fury issues.  It also appeared to me that some titles/issues were relatively over-scored, e.g., Howard The Duck, Iron Fist, Marvel Team-Up, Tomb of Dracula 43-45.  I was puzzled by  several other things in the scoring of this set, e.g., all the ASM issues are scored the same when they all have about the same desirability but there are substantially fewer high grade CGC graded 158s and 159s.  Am I wrong about the CGC scoring of the Marvel 30¢ price variant set?  I am pretty new to Marvel price variants and to this chat board, so if I am way off base on this, I apologize.  Also, if this has already been discussed ad nauseam on this board, I apologize.

Second, below is a low grade book which was hidden in a lot I recently bought on eBay.20180207_165741.thumb.jpg.696fb6a5aa6f38b6153114dc0b9f1517.jpg eBay.

I don’t participate in the registry, but I’ve heard similar complaints about other sets with regards to points assigned to books.

Most of the 30 cent collectors I know don’t collect graded copies.

Unless you’re rich, it’s going to be a challenge just to finish the set at all, much less graded.

Nice hidden variant find BTW!

21 hours ago, wormboy said:

I don’t participate in the registry, but I’ve heard similar complaints about other sets with regards to points assigned to books.

Most of the 30 cent collectors I know don’t collect graded copies.

Unless you’re rich, it’s going to be a challenge just to finish the set at all, much less graded.

Nice hidden variant find BTW!

Thanks for the sage advice. Guess I will just keep plugging away, one book at a time.