• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
32 32

3,550 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, androolx said:

I just got back from C2E2 in  Chicago.  I did not go there primarily to look for comic books, but I did do a little bit of that.  Literally the first or second book I looked at was this one.  Nothing spectacular, but I never found a price variant so easily.  Of course I was skunked the rest of the day.

20190323_200524.jpg

Well congrats! From the look of things in other threads it was really busy there, glad you had fun ;)

2 hours ago, androolx said:

I just got back from C2E2 in  Chicago.  I did not go there primarily to look for comic books, but I did do a little bit of that.  Literally the first or second book I looked at was this one.  Nothing spectacular, but I never found a price variant so easily.  Of course I was skunked the rest of the day.

20190323_200524.jpg

Nice find! Reece's Rare Comics is at the show and has a good number on hand. Just look for the tab labelled PV as they have both 30 and 35 centers. I don't know of any other national show vendors that consistently carry these. And there's a guy with a del otto spidey 667 slabbed 9.4 it's sick.

On 1/2/2019 at 8:27 AM, androolx said:

Totally agreed.  It is always a thrill to find a hidden 35¢ variant, but finding one in that condition is rare, at least for me.  What is really a bummer is finding a hidden one but then having the condition be such that it is not worth (again, at least for me) the purchase price, esp. if it is in a large and/or over-priced lot. 

I run into this also with 30’s.  You see them from time to time in lots with no mention of price variant, but the price doesn’t justify pulling the trigger. Sometimes it’s too much to resist the urge and while I get a nice variant I also am stuck with books I don’t want and can’t sell. 

12 hours ago, loboagain said:

What are the hardest 30 cent and 35 cent price variants to find and why? 

Certain genres were losing market value and didn't have larger print runs and are more difficult. Westerns, horror,cartoon, and reprint titles are notoriously difficult.

17 hours ago, loboagain said:

What are the hardest 30 cent and 35 cent price variants to find and why? 

Hardest 30s: Kid Colt 207,  208; Weird Wonder Tales 15; Rawhide Kid 134; Tomb of Darkness 20, 21

Hardest 35s: Scooby Doo 1, Flintstones 1

image.png

I'm kinda softening on the WWT 15, might go in cycles, but there seems to have been a few out there in the last few years. On the KCs, ya those are the though ones.

Hope that's your Scooby Doo, I've only ever seen 1 of them in person.  Crazy rare.

18 hours ago, loboagain said:

Ok thanks for the information. How rare is the Sgt. Fury #134 30 cent variant?

I think the Sgt. Fury's are in what I'd call "Tier 2" Rare.  After the Westerns and other books FD mentioned.  They fall in with some of the more difficult Super-Hero and Horror books; Chamber of Chills, MOKF 39 Planet of the Apes etc,

48 minutes ago, jbud73 said:

Finally back in CA after a bit of an absence, getting around to opening some packages and feeling like a baseball team with a Magic Number.  :whee:Probably jinxed it and wont buy one for a year :facepalm:

RingoKid27(30c).jpg

If'n ya don't look out, youssa gonna die!

i  i  i 

Congrats :)

39 minutes ago, jbud73 said:

For some reason this issue of Powerman had eluded me ... no longer.  Thanks Bill. (thumbsu

PowerMan32(30c).jpg

Pretty sure that was the last issue I got to complete the 30 cent variant set. I had some good luck with the tougher books and just had to find decent copies of the several I hadn't come across yet.

1 hour ago, jbud73 said:

And this was the last TOD 30c I needed.

TOD43(30c).jpg

How many left? PM me with the list and I'll keep my eyes out here in the Baltimore-Washington marketplace.