• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
32 32

3,550 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Those are the best finds. You want to jump and down, but cant till you pay.

So in all my I’ve never owned or found a 35 cent variant.   It seems crazy but it’s true.  So far from Alaska ... where they came out but I had found 30 cent variants in collections and in my collection back in the day.  Only a handful but still...zero 35 cent variants 

4 hours ago, Comicdey said:
5 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Those are the best finds. You want to jump up and down, but you cant till you pay.

So in all my I’ve never owned or found a 35 cent variant.   It seems crazy but it’s true.  So far from Alaska ... where they came out but I had found 30 cent variants in collections and in my collection back in the day.  Only a handful but still...zero 35 cent variants 

Other then MD and OH the farther South you live the better. I just found my first 35 center in Indiana this year. The majority I have found are farther South.

On 11/3/2019 at 5:39 PM, fastballspecial said:

Other then MD and OH the farther South you live the better. I just found my first 35 center in Indiana this year. The majority I have found are farther South.

At least in ‘75 we got the mini baseball cards in Fairbanks :-). I didn’t realize for a long time that that was not a normal baseball card size as a kid.    

On 11/13/2019 at 8:54 AM, SBRobin said:

Apparently I've been a member of the PVC for over 30 years and never realized it until I decided to inventory my comics this year. I have no idea how I obtained mine, but probably bought it from my LCS in the mid 80s. Crazy that this random comic is the rarest in my collection now. Was going to put it on eBay but can't even figure what to price it at so I guess I'll just hold onto it. 

1634900993_AmazingSpider-Man171CGC8.0Cover.thumb.jpg.36b6dec386b2bf34d86182c914325d2f.jpg

Excellent story.  I bought ASM 173 35 cent variant off the stands in Memphis back in the day.

On 12/14/2019 at 6:55 PM, MisterX said:

I've been looking for high grade pence copies of 2 and 3 for awhile now.

Both tough to find in decent shape. There seem to be fewer #3s about in general. Don't know whether that's representative of the edition as a whole, or just the variants. Also, #2 is virtually impossible to find without the transferred black ink from the "Street Ball" ad on the back cover.

s-l1600.jpg.9d8155c40901e548ed00d62b9ce99483.jpg

I never seem to see this on the 30c or 35c covers. (shrug)

Thanks, rakehell, that's good to know.

There are many here who know a great deal about the comic printing proces circa 1977-78. Maybe one of them could jump in with a hypothesis on why the black ink from the Street Ball ad transfers through the front cover?

On 12/16/2019 at 8:33 AM, rakehell said:

Both tough to find in decent shape. There seem to be fewer #3s about in general. Don't know whether that's representative of the edition as a whole, or just the variants. Also, #2 is virtually impossible to find without the transferred black ink from the "Street Ball" ad on the back cover.

s-l1600.jpg.9d8155c40901e548ed00d62b9ce99483.jpg

I never seem to see this on the 30c or 35c covers. (shrug)

Roger that Rakehell.

Spectacular Spider-Man #53 is another pence copy that always seems to have a dirty cover:

53.thumb.jpg.9103393a8bf96fe48e2c4e5937877378.jpg

Very difficult to find a clean one

55 minutes ago, MisterX said:

Thanks, rakehell, that's good to know.

There are many here who know a great deal about the comic printing proces circa 1977-78. Maybe one of them could jump in with a hypothesis on why the black ink from the Street Ball ad transfers through the front cover?

Pretty sure it's actually from the back cover of another copy of the book, not through the front cover.

My guess... and it's purely a guess... is they ran off the pence variants at the start of the run.  @Get Marwood & I has argued in favor of that for at least some of the pence books, not sure if it includes this time frame.  At the start of the press run, the inks are fresher and heavier, so more likely to get transferred to the next book.  Which is why it's more common with the relatively small pence run.