• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
32 32

3,550 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Pretty sure it's actually from the back cover of another copy of the book, not through the front cover.

My guess... and it's purely a guess... is they ran off the pence variants at the start of the run.  @Get Marwood & I has argued in favor of that for at least some of the pence books, not sure if it includes this time frame.  At the start of the press run, the inks are fresher and heavier, so more likely to get transferred to the next book.  Which is why it's more common with the relatively small pence run.

Ha! I like that way of thinking OtherEric :grin:

15 hours ago, MisterX said:

Maybe one of them could jump in with a hypothesis on why the black ink from the Street Ball ad transfers through the front cover?

14 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Pretty sure it's actually from the back cover of another copy of the book, not through the front cover.

It's definitely a transfer from the back cover. If you look closely you can see "Street Ball" backwards across the Star Wars logo.

Plus...

920405672_2019-12-1808_50_34.thumb.jpg.9b75a63ff640abc01dbfad33f19365e8.jpg

looking at the back cover, this is clearly a backwards R from the Star Wars logo on the front cover. Looks like they got stacked while the ink was still wet, or something.

14 hours ago, OtherEric said:

My guess... and it's purely a guess... is they ran off the pence variants at the start of the run.  @Get Marwood & I has argued in favor of that for at least some of the pence books, not sure if it includes this time frame.  At the start of the press run, the inks are fresher and heavier, so more likely to get transferred to the next book.  Which is why it's more common with the relatively small pence run.

Interesting, but would it not follow from that that there might be similar transferring on the 35c variants? I only ever see this (this clearly at any rate) on the Star Wars 2 pence price variant.

15 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Spectacular Spider-Man #53 is another pence copy that always seems to have a dirty cover:

53.thumb.jpg.9103393a8bf96fe48e2c4e5937877378.jpg

Very difficult to find a clean one

What does the back cover look like? Also, when you find a "dirty" one, is it the same kind of dirty as all the others? Is there a pattern to this filth? Is it ink? Black mould? Petrified bean juice? Can you scrape it off with your thumbnail?

I don't think I want that bowl of porridge now... :sick:

3 hours ago, rakehell said:

What does the back cover look like? Also, when you find a "dirty" one, is it the same kind of dirty as all the others? Is there a pattern to this filth? Is it ink? Black mould? Petrified bean juice? Can you scrape it off with your thumbnail?

I never gathered enough copies to form an opinion Derek. Dirty things they are anyway. Best left well alone. 

22 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Mainly it has to do with the fact that the books sat in bundles for God knows how long, in the holds of cargo ships, as they made their way across the Atlantic. Perhaps a couple of weeks, maybe longer.

7 hours ago, rakehell said:

s-l1600.jpg

Here's the back cover to SSM #53. You can see from whence the transfer came.

I'm leaning towards petrified bean juice, myself...

14 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Mainly it has to do with the fact that the books sat in bundles for God knows how long, in the holds of cargo ships, as they made their way across the Atlantic. Perhaps a couple of weeks, maybe longer.

Hmm... That doesn't feel like the right answer with the SW2 ppv. A transfer of ink due to being in a damp cargo hold would imply a damp book. That would show water damage, even after the books dried out & that's one problem I don't have with any of the affected Star Wars books I have (or have ever had). What this looks like to me is the uncut sheets of the freshly printed covers were stacked while the ink was still slightly tacky (or whatever the correct term is) & the ink simply stuck to the next sheet in the stack.

hm

Just now, rakehell said:
14 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Hmm... That doesn't feel like the right answer with the SW2 ppv. A transfer of ink due to being in a damp cargo hold would imply a damp book. That would show water damage, even after the books dried out & that's one problem I don't have with any of the affected Star Wars books I have (or have ever had). What this looks like to me is the uncut sheets of the freshly printed covers were stacked while the ink was still slightly tacky (or whatever the correct term is) & the ink simply stuck to the next sheet in the stack.

hm

No need for water damage. Just being bundled together for several weeks did it.

I can't tell you how many books I've pulled apart that were stuck together just like that. No water damage to speak of, just a bit of transfer.

Not that your suggestion didn't happen; several factors can combine to exacerbate the problem. But this was just books that were pressed together for a decent amount of time.

7 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Seems anticlimactic, somehow.

I guess, thinking about it now, that's happened to me too. I have a vague memory from when I was a kid & kept my comics in a big stack in my closet. My Man from Atlantis 2 stuck to my Six Million Dollar Man 4. Made me sad. :frown:

12 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I can't tell you how many books I've pulled apart that were stuck together just like that. No water damage to speak of, just a bit of transfer.

Not that your suggestion didn't happen; several factors can combine to exacerbate the problem. But this was just books that were pressed together for a decent amount of time.

And there's that copper age problem that's been discussed before-the wavy tops or bottoms of the books,likely from the inks or amount used?Could these be similar?Excess ink,moisture left in the paper,then being ferried overseas in more damp?Off topic,but somewhat related.

8 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

And there's that copper age problem that's been discussed before-the wavy tops or bottoms of the books,likely from the inks or amount used?Could these be similar?Excess ink,moisture left in the paper,then being ferried overseas in more damp?Off topic,but somewhat related.

Yeah, 1989-1991 were terrible years for Marvel newsprint books. Wavy gravy everywhere.

12 hours ago, rakehell said:

Seems anticlimactic, somehow.

I guess, thinking about it now, that's happened to me too. I have a vague memory from when I was a kid & kept my comics in a big stack in my closet. My Man from Atlantis 2 stuck to my Six Million Dollar Man 4. Made me sad. :frown:

The Man from Atlantis didn't half look like Bobby Ewing didn't he. 

18 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yeah, 1989-1991 were terrible years for Marvel newsprint books. Wavy gravy everywhere.

Taking them out to read years later I was devastated,thought there had been a flood.DC too.I was just gifted a Death of Supes newsstand trade,and same thing,I think my Death in the Family one has the same problems.Sorry for off topicing all,here's a Canadian priceroni to swing back

79496150_2281818138777366_68986764276090