• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
32 32

3,550 posts in this topic

I'm sure that's legit too - came from Tuscaloosa, so would hit the Huntsville test market, and appears to have been online for a very short period of time.  It appears someone told this seller what 35 cent variants are as well.

14 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

I'm sure that's legit too - came from Tuscaloosa, so would hit the Huntsville test market, and appears to have been online for a very short period of time.  It appears someone told this seller what 35 cent variants are as well.

I really hate that. Seems to be the new norm lately.

I miss the good old days when no one told anyone what they had.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 10:44 AM, DARTHDIESEL said:

Harry, thanks buddy. They are going pretty well so far and I'm hoping they are finding their way back to board members or new enthusiasts up for a challenging goal. The number of posts attests to the amount of time I lived on these boards back then. I already seen some comic related TV series threads in General that I've been keeping some tabs on. Digging thru stock to see if I can find more unslabbed price variants I misplaced.

I haven't seen you for years.

I was most pleased with this submission. All these books were better than advertised and far exceeded my expectations.

Of course keeping with my track record with CGC, the label on the SW #1 completely missed that it is a variant. 

Of course kudos to Joe for pushing these books beyond my expectations(worship)

IMG_0336.JPG

IMG_0335.JPG

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0337.JPG

Im about 20 total books away from finishing out a 35 cent price variant set. Most of the hard ones and some goofy ones i never picked up like Human Fly's. I started sending off some of my books for grading, i mostly collect F/VF or better. The grades came back a little hard got a 6.5 one one. However they made a mistake and didst list price variant on the grade. Neat little thing, probably sending back but thought id share, kinda fun to see.

image2 (3).JPG

image1 (4).JPG

8 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Im about 20 total books away from finishing out a 35 cent price variant set. Most of the hard ones and some goofy ones i never picked up like Human Fly's. I started sending off some of my books for grading, i mostly collect F/VF or better. The grades came back a little hard got a 6.5 one one. However they made a mistake and didst list price variant on the grade. Neat little thing, probably sending back but thought id share, kinda fun to see.

Best of luck with your run. I am at the same point,needing mostly the tough books that never show up and a few stragglers that are out there. Since this is a set that requires deep pockets and gross over-pays on titles most collectors don't even care about, I think I will just look for bargains.

CGC just doesn't seem to recognize variants that much. Of the half dozen I sent in to be graded 4 have not had "variant' noted on the label. Since CGC is the standard bearer for the hobby, this really reflects a largely waning interest throughout the hobby on price variants. Other than SW #1 and a couple of keys, most of the hero/common books have been coming to market in very large numbers lately and the prices on less than top census copies keep spiralling down at auction. The avg. selling price seems to have fallen sharply and now resides in the $20-$40 range for mid-graders. It seems these books are far more common than originally thought. Or at least the public perception has swung that way as the numerous auctions now present on eBay have seen a precipitous drop in ending price. Also contributing is collectors looking to get away from a set that most have no reasonable chance to complete.

Nothing but good news lately for the variant collectors!  I hope there continues to be a death spiral on prices as this has been over-blown for quite some time.

Edited by NP_Gresham

See, I would disagree on prices. You can sometimes win vg-fines for 40-50 but ive been blown out on my last 3 mid grades for 130-150-160. I lost 25 consecutive bids in the last month and nothing went under 70 for fines. I think honestly 35 cent price variants are the most undervalued comics in general. I will buy any price variant 35 cent in fine or above condition for 30 bucks, you have 30 copies of MTU 58 ill buy em all. The print run on most of these books is like 400-1000 range by most estimates, and most got chewed up or sent back since they were all retail. Add to it they are 40 years old and at most only 2-3 a day get listed for the 1000+ books of similar era daily on ebay....I find i have a different experience.

16 hours ago, Timmay said:

It only takes 2 insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

As those deep pocketed few tap out or realize they are over-spending the prices will settle in at a more realistic level for most of the hero/common books.

Many of early estimates of scarcity are proving laughably short of reality on a lot of the hero/common books.