• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
32 32

3,550 posts in this topic

On 2/22/2021 at 2:11 PM, HakesAuctions said:

35 is on my mind! Hake's Auctions has 35 CGC Graded 35 Cent Variant Books At Auction! Bidding ends this Thursday the 25th!

Will you all be selling the rest of the collection in your next auction?

Fabulous! I sold a raw copy on Eeeeeebay in roughly the y2k that I bought off the spinner rack in ‘77. Cool cover for sure. Seems like movies or a short series on TV should be made of this character. I didn’t get #2.35 off the spinner, not sure why, buy I got a 7.0 online somewhere. Another cool cover. Heck the whole series of covers are cool!

I am hoping to expand my collecting horizons but am uncertain about valuation of PVs at this wild time.  There are so few sales of PVs for any given issue, let alone in a particular grade for a given issue, that it is difficult to tell whether the wave of price increases across all keys has extended to the price variants.  Common sense suggests that it should, but I have no idea if it happens in practice, and if so, to what extent.   Hope gurus could shed light on this.  

For example, let's assume a key issue for which the 30-cent version in grade 8.0 went for $250 pre-pandemic but $1,000 now, and for which the 35-cent variant went for $2,000 pre-pandemic, but with no sales since then.  Is it reasonable to assume that the 35-cent price variant also quadrupled, to $8,000 now, or would a different multiplier be more appropriate for some reason?   Should it be the same effect on all 35-cent price variants regardless of title, or will it depend on whether we are talking about top-tier 35-cent price variants like Iron Fist #14 and SW#1, which are already very pricey to begin with? 

Edited by Pantodude

That is a great question but it has an elusive answer. It reminds me of old silver dollars. At a certain point the value of a silver dollar is more dependent on the price of silver than the numismatic value. But things can change and suddenly the numismatic value increases it beyond the silver value. 

The value of the 35 centers, in my opinion, has always been the 35 cent rarity factor.  For years certain 35 centers have sold for vast multiples of the underlying common issue..ie Kid Colt. So the 35 cent factor is far more of a driver than the actual issue. I don't think the 35 cent factor results in a more dramatic price multiplier than than underlying issue itself.. If a 35 center such as The Eternals suddenly pops, the 35 center is likely to get far less pop as a percentage than the underlying issue. The variant may go up but not at nearly the percentage of the underlying.

Time will tell, but I think the 35 cent factor is somewhat limiting so far as value increases versus the general increases being seen in comics.

Much more important would be supply and demand. If just a few more collectors enter the market for variants that would have a bigger impact as there is such a scarcity to begin with. I bought my entire X-men run of 35 centers for about $100 each. There were not all that many people collecting them 20 years ago. It has been the large  increase in the number of collectors that has been the primary driver in the 35 cent price increases.

A friend of mine has a complete collection of USA pennies. He mentioned an 1856 Flying Eagle which was a "sample" coin to make it simple. A few were put into circulation but nobody ever paid attention. 30 years ago you could have bought one for a couple of hundred dollars. The guide finally included it 20 or so years ago  and with a bit of publicity it became quite valuable, now selling for 10K plus. 

A lot of big money has entered the comic book market. If a few of those players get into the varies, prices could skyrocket. 

9 hours ago, 4GEMWORKS said:

A lot of big money has entered the comic book market. If a few of those players get into the varies, prices could skyrocket. 

Right!  For some reason I was only considering the market-wide appreciation and wondered about a proportional upward pressure on PV values.  Things could get crazy in your scenario.  

Edited by Pantodude

So I was wondering if it'd be ok to list a handful of price variant books here to get some feedback on their approximate value..? Most books i just look up Ebay SOLD prices and work from there... but a lot of times there isn't much in the way of recent sales for these PV books.

Thought I'd ask ... maybe get pointed in the right direction if this isn't the place.

Thanks!

Joshua 

1 minute ago, fastballspecial said:
8 hours ago, Pantodude said:

You lucky *** :devil:

Exactly what I thought.

It's over in spare a grade, with no opinions yet, but it is detached at bottom staple  :foryou:

Still was thankful to find it :)

I would put it at 1.0 1.5 in grade, still a keeper for me :shy:

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's over in spare a grade, with no opinions yet, but it is detached at bottom staple  :foryou:

Still was thankful to find it :)

I would put it at 1.0 1.5 in grade, still a keeper for me :shy:

oh yeah its low grade, but buyers wont care if you want to sell it very hard to find in any grade and very desireable