• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
32 32

3,550 posts in this topic

I posted this question on the Bronze Age forum, but I got no reply.

Once again, I have a question about collecting. Please note that I am not denigrating how people or any one person collects comics.

Why would Star Wars #1 35 Cent variant be important to a collector? Is it just because it's rare and worth a lot of money? Is it a sense of completeness, wanting to have both versions (30 and 35 cents) so you feel your collection is more complete?

I'm not criticizing, I'm just curious.

1 hour ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Once again, I have a question about collecting. Please note that I am not denigrating how people or any one person collects comics.

Why would Star Wars #1 35 Cent variant be important to a collector? Is it just because it's rare and worth a lot of money? Is it a sense of completeness, wanting to have both versions (30 and 35 cents) so you feel your collection is more complete?

Star Wars 1 was the first related collectible released and predated the release of the movie, if I hear correctly. Two 1st print versions were made, one with a less-desirable (at the time) higher price. When it was realized two versions were out there, the scarcer became more desirable, instead of just more expensive, and became a lot more expensive. Now it is seen as a grail and through the years has never met its ever-increasing demand.

2 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

It also has an edge, I think, in that it was one of the earliest documented price variants.  People were aware of it a long time before the 35 cent variants on other marvels of the time became widely known.  It's also a key book with a variant, and has been pretty much since day 1.  1st Sabertooth, by contrast, wasn't viewed as a key book until well after it came out.

32 minutes ago, mec3437 said:

One more X-Men left.

0606201440.jpg

I went shopping for this, as I only have a "fair" condition non price variant, that is a melt your face copy right there!!! :tink: Congrats!

1 hour ago, icp004 said:

Not sure I’ll ever drop the coin needed for #1 though. 

Solid copy - Congrats!

I had all the Eternals variants in Duplicate including the 30 and 35 cent books.

You might try @jimjum12 if you are looking for a copy of #1- he may still have one for sale.

Edited by NP_Gresham