• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
32 32

3,550 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, NP_Gresham said:

Spoken like a true ‘East Coaster’

Berkley is closer to Oakland and San Francisco

Not sure I would classify that as San Jose area

Ask the San Francisco 49ers...(thumbsu

8 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Ask the San Francisco 49ers...(thumbsu

So let’s talk the Baltimore market.  Would price variants been distributed only in Baltimore City, Baltimore County, or would that market have included other parts of the state?  Either way I’m sure none found there way to stores on the MD eastern shore where I lived. 

53 minutes ago, icp004 said:

So let’s talk the Baltimore market.  Would price variants been distributed only in Baltimore City, Baltimore County, or would that market have included other parts of the state?  Either way I’m sure none found there way to stores on the MD eastern shore where I lived. 

When I first started doing variant collecting they were all over the place in both Baltimore and DC. That market has been very blurred for a long time - conventions around here in the 80s and 90s were run by promoters in Maryland so there were ones in Silver Spring and Crystal City all the time. I found lots and lots of variants in the late 1990s and early 2000s here. Now not so much.

55 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

When I first started doing variant collecting they were all over the place in both Baltimore and DC. That market has been very blurred for a long time - conventions around here in the 80s and 90s were run by promoters in Maryland so there were ones in Silver Spring and Crystal City all the time. I found lots and lots of variants in the late 1990s and early 2000s here. Now not so much.

I remember the goodwill table frenzy many years back.

On 10/28/2020 at 5:31 PM, 76muss said:

I've already contacted Hakes Auctions and they are happy to have them, wish me luck.

That might be the most impressive find I have ever seen on those. 

You are going to have alot of PMs before they go to auction so be aware of the value
of several as they are very sought after. I am very jealous.

On 11/1/2020 at 8:56 AM, FlyingDonut said:
On 11/1/2020 at 8:01 AM, icp004 said:

Very true, but in your area you have alot of competition. 

I have hit a drought as well I haven't found one in maybe 2 years now. 

My guess is it was wider spread then just city. I’ve found multiples from OO collections near Annapolis and near PA state line. Hit or miss with DC usually OO there and northern VA don’t have variants but Geppi or other MD store sticker priced type collections have them. 

the 50 copies Eternals 1 find was North of Baltimore loop. I have no real proof of where he bought originally tho. 

ed

Everyone!! I have a story that you should read.  It is about a 35 cent variant haul.

35¢ Box of Gold

Collectors of comics generally know general facts throughout its history. One of these facts is that in 1977 Marvel decided to test run an increased price on their comics in four test markets, resulting in the famous 35¢ variants.

This is the unbelievable story of the acquisition of quite possibly the best collection of CGC graded 35¢ Variants.

In late 1977, newly wed Allen went to a local second hand store to fix his collecting itch that we all get. Just to the right of the store were some random boxes some filled with comics with 20¢ written on them. He sees that it is 15 cents off the retail price and knowing a deal when he sees one, he snatches everything that they had.

Just like the One Ring, it sat and was forgotten by the light of day. Until one day, 40+ years later with knowledge of what he had, the power of intrigue helped him to decide to get them graded.

He picked up a total of 65 comics that day in 1977. 61 will be going to auction soon. Of the 61 with the current population reports of CGC, 10 are the highest grade ever, 14 are tied with the best grade ever, and 16 are the 2nd best grades. Convince me that was not a box of gold.

When is the auction?”, “Who is running it?”, you may be thinking. All of those details are to come in the near future, with a full list of the comics and grades. For now enjoy these few pictures, notice the 20¢ marking in the Black Panther picture.

IMG_9776.jpg

IMG_9795.jpg

IMG959784.jpg

@dafutrelle

Awesome Allen! :whee: 

18 minutes ago, dafutrelle said:

Everyone!! I have a story that you should read.  It is about a 35 cent variant haul.

35¢ Box of Gold

Collectors of comics generally know general facts throughout its history. One of these facts is that in 1977 Marvel decided to test run an increased price on their comics in four test markets, resulting in the famous 35¢ variants.

This is the unbelievable story of the acquisition of quite possibly the best collection of CGC graded 35¢ Variants.

In late 1977, newly wed Allen went to a local second hand store to fix his collecting itch that we all get. Just to the right of the store were some random boxes some filled with comics with 20¢ written on them. He sees that it is 15 cents off the retail price and knowing a deal when he sees one, he snatches everything that they had.

Just like the One Ring, it sat and was forgotten by the light of day. Until one day, 40+ years later with knowledge of what he had, the power of intrigue helped him to decide to get them graded.

He picked up a total of 65 comics that day in 1977. 61 will be going to auction soon. Of the 61 with the current population reports of CGC, 10 are the highest grade ever, 14 are tied with the best grade ever, and 16 are the 2nd best grades. Convince me that was not a box of gold.

When is the auction?”, “Who is running it?”, you may be thinking. All of those details are to come in the near future, with a full list of the comics and grades. For now enjoy these few pictures, notice the 20¢ marking in the Black Panther picture.

IMG_9776.jpg

IMG_9795.jpg

IMG959784.jpg

On 11/15/2020 at 2:40 PM, dafutrelle said:

35¢ Box of Gold

IMG_9776.jpg

IMG_9795.jpg

IMG959784.jpg

I'm worried they'll go unnoticed at Hake's

Reminds me of my 40 issue 35 cent variant find a few years back. That really helped me fill some holes...still have 5 to go!