• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
32 32

3,550 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, PeterPark said:

Did all those higher grade 35 cent variants ever sell on Hake's? It's not a site I use so I knew I would be out of contention, but I was wondering how things went?

that's a good question, if I remember the poster came to show us if it's what I'm thinking about, hope that he did ok on them....

35 minutes ago, makeminemarvel said:

Nice pickup. If your HFB prices like mine there was no premium for the variant!  

well it was still behind their glass bins for the priced stuff, but it was still only priced at $5, so I got it

They also had Infinity Gauntlet 1 for $10 and like the 3rd or 4th app of sabretooth for $10, but meh this was cheap enough a deal to snag :) 

Total CGC pop for this price variant (UK) is more rare, or at least about as rare, as many key 35-centers.  Interesting.  I thought the super relative scarcity (compared to regular non-variant cents) was mostly just an early Silver Age thing.   Anyway, it livens up my PC.  

1693619594_HowardtheDuck1raw9.0-front.thumb.jpg.43f38a42e80a422a5e5c442caa1a0fd9.jpg

Edited by Pantodude

18 hours ago, Pantodude said:

Total CGC pop for this price variant (UK) is more rare, or at least about as rare, as many key 35-centers.  Interesting.  I thought the super relative scarcity (compared to regular non-variant cents) was mostly just an early Silver Age thing.   Anyway, it livens up my PC.  

1693619594_HowardtheDuck1raw9.0-front.thumb.jpg.43f38a42e80a422a5e5c442caa1a0fd9.jpg

Are UK price variants really that rare? The market for Marvel Comics has been pretty strong in the UK since the 60's.

Edited by blowout
spelling correction

3 hours ago, blowout said:

Are UK price variants really that rare?

Apparently, based on relative CGC census data across practically all issues that had both cents and UK price variants (but note that CGC does not break out UK variant data for all issues that had them, presumably because there is nothing or too little to report, which just emphasizes the relative scarcity even more).  Another non-SA example is Eternals #1.  

image.png.2b56369e09bcd47ccb3f5ee98239d7fc.png

Alright Everyone, some of the best CGC Graded 35 Cent Variants are up!!!!  There are a lot of Pop 1's.  These are from the Box of Gold Story posted a couple months ago.  If you do a search for "35 cent" in the comics once you're on Hakes.com, you will see all that are currently up for grabs.  Good Luck to you all in your collecting.

On 1/21/2021 at 2:41 AM, PeterPark said:

Did all those higher grade 35 cent variants ever sell on Hake's? It's not a site I use so I knew I would be out of contention, but I was wondering how things went?

Alright Everyone, some of the best CGC Graded 35 Cent Variants are up!!!!  There are a lot of Pop 1's.  These are from the Box of Gold Story posted a couple months ago.  If you do a search for "35 cent" in the comics once you're on Hakes.com, you will see all that are currently up for grabs.  Good Luck to you all in your collecting.

1 hour ago, dafutrelle said:

I don't buy from Hakes myself, but good luck. (shrug)

10 hours ago, blowout said:

Are UK price variants really that rare? The market for Marvel Comics has been pretty strong in the UK since the 60's.

The UK variants aren't price variants, just foreign editions. There is probably a thread for them back there someplace.

They are nowhere near as rare as the 35 cent variants, but with the increased supply comes less demand which corresponds to less money. When there is less money less get graded and they appear to be more rare than they are. (thumbsu

Edited by PeterPark

On 2/2/2021 at 12:06 PM, Pantodude said:
On 2/2/2021 at 8:36 AM, blowout said:

Are UK price variants really that rare?

Apparently, based on relative CGC census data across practically all issues that had both cents and UK price variants (but note that CGC does not break out UK variant data for all issues that had them, presumably because there is nothing or too little to report, which just emphasizes the relative scarcity even more).  Another non-SA example is Eternals #1.  

This new collecting group entering the hobby the last few years has shown some interest in them. For years for collectors like me we just passed them by. I know some of the cheaper pence are really hard to find in US. 

36 minutes ago, Jterp5 said:

So apparently there's now a CGC 9.8 Scooby Doo #1 35 cent variant and a 9.6 Flintstones #1 35 cent variant.  Incredible.

Has anyone actually seen these or know the backstory of how they were found in this condition?

Hmm Id like to know that story too. As both are extremely rare. People like me that have been looking for 
years will really have doubts.

That being said they can still be found. I found an ASM 35 center a few years back that came back 9.4.