• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
32 32

3,550 posts in this topic

They are not price variants... but what about 1987 DC "logo variant test covers" (Justice League #3v2, Firestorm #61)? Does anyone know what the story is? What was the print run?

582738-JL3_comp.JPG

Anyone know what the print run was compared to the regular issue? confused-smiley-013.gif

With much thanks to Valiantman's recent analysis of the CGC cEnsus, I started playing around with Marvel price variant numbers:

Total 30 cent variants slabbed = 749

Total 35 cent variants slabbed = 415

Top graded 30 center = Conan 61 CGC 9.8

Top graded 35 center = Avengers 163 CGC 9.8

Lowest 'top census' 30 center = Astonishing tales 36 and Sgt Fury 133 @ CGC 4.0

Lowest 'top census' 35 center = Ironman 101,Marvel Two-In-One 30,Rawhide Kid 140 and 2001: A Space Odyssey 7 @ CGC 4.0

Top 5 submitted 30 centers (qty):

Xmen 99 (26)

Xmen 98 (23)

Xmen 100 (22)

Howard the Duck 3 (19)

Incredible Hulk 200 (15)

Top 5 submitted 35 centers (qty):

Star Wars 1 (39)

Star Wars 2 (12)

Ironfist 14 (9)

Star Wars 4 (7)

All Tied for 6: Howard the Duck 13,Inhumans 11,Ironfist 15,Ironman 100,Tarzan 1,

X-men 105

Just some fun facts wink.gif

Also not on census yet:

for 30 centers:

Marvel Double Feature 17

for 35 centers:

Captain Marvel 51

Eternals 15

Flinstones 1

Ghost Rider 24

Incredible Hulk 212

Kid Colt Outlaw 218

Marvel Triple Action 36

Marvel Two-In-One 29

Marvel Two-In-One 32

Master of Kung-Fu 56

Ms. Marvel 10

Powerman 45

Powerman 47

Rawhide Kid 141

Spectacular Spiderman 11

Super-villian Team-Up 13

Super-villian Team-Up 14

Thor 264

2001: A Space Odyssey 10

Also not on census yet

HI Darth some very cool stuff thumbsup2.gif I have thought about doing this but figured it would take a lot more time than I had. Just one thing is their a Kid Colt #219 35 cent variant on the census I will have to check? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Highest graded Kid Colt 219 35 cent variant is a 5.5.

Lowest 'top census' 30 center = Astonishing tales 36 and Sgt Fury 133 @ CGC 4.0

The 4.0 Iron Man 89 is also a 30¢. I submitted it but some dillhole didn't realize it was a variant (even though it was written on the submission form). Somewhere back in this thread I posted a rant a/b some dickweed at CGC trying to tell me that there was no such thing as a variant IM 89 b/c it was not noted in Overstreet. 893frustrated.gif

Contact Gemma now at CGC and see if they can fix the slab label and the census info, maybe at their expense since it was their mistake 893crossfingers-thumb.gif I think they know now and will probably do what they can to fix these.

Can you post a scan just for kicks? I was tempted to win that mislabelled Kazar 16 just to get that off the census

Contact Gemma now at CGC and see if they can fix the slab label and the census info, maybe at their expense since it was their mistake 893crossfingers-thumb.gif I think they know now and will probably do what they can to fix these.

Can you post a scan just for kicks? I was tempted to win that mislabelled Kazar 16 just to get that off the census

After the last round of BS with CGC telling me they would fix something for free and then charging me for it 9 months later I think I'll pass.

Actually I just sold it to Roger (metarog) to help with his collection. I thought I might have a scan floating around but no dice. Maybe he can scan and post.

WOW! You must have been digging, from the looks of that WBN! tongue.gif BTW, did I get your sloppy seconds? I came home with quite a few myself...

Today I picked up these variants:

Omega 3

DD 147 35 center

Warlock 12, 13, 14

Kazar 17

Marvel Chillers 4

and yesterday:

astonishing tales 36

champions 7

iron man 85-88

marvel presents 6

This was great, but wait till I post some of the grades from the 52 30 cent variants I submitted wink.gif

#1 - The first rule of Price Variant Club is, you do not talk about Price Variant Club.

#2 - The second rule of Price Variant Club is, you DO NOT talk about Price Variant Club.

#3 - If someone says that's one of the last five I need and pleads, you let him have it.

#4 - Nobody ends auctions early.

#5 - No flaming other members of Price Variant Club because they got the Ringo Kid 28 and you didn't.

#6 - Do not alert members of Price Variant Club for hidden variants. Let them find their own damn variants.

#7 - 35 cent variant collectors are insane.

#8 - If you found a variant through Price Variant Club, you have to find another one.

Finally, the Price Variant members has been captured on film!

variant.jpg

(sorryFD - been wanting to do this since the thread first came up. frown.gif)

27_laughing.gifscrewy.gif

Baltimore submission update: 54 variants submitted/mygrade/CGC grade

Amazing Spiderman 155 vf/nm 9.2 smile.gif

Amazing Spiderman 158 vf/nm 9.2 smile.gif

Astonishing Tales 36 vf 8.0 thumbsup2.gif

Avengers 146 vf- 7.5 thumbsup2.gif

Avengers 147 nm- 9.0 frown.gif

Avengers 148 nm 9.4 thumbsup2.gif

Avengers 149 nm 9.0 frown.gif

Avengers 150 nm 9.2 frown.gif

Avengers 150 vf- 8.0 smile.gif

Captain America 199 vf/nm 9.0 thumbsup2.gif

Champions 5 nm 9.4 thumbsup2.gif

Champions 6 nm 9.4 thumbsup2.gif

Conan 63 vf+ 9.0 smile.gif

Defenders 37 nm 9.4 thumbsup2.gif

Fantastic Four 170 nm 9.4 thumbsup2.gif

Fantastic Four 170 vf 6.0 frown.gif (water damage soaked thru lower right corner)

Fantastic Four 171 vf/nm 9.2 smile.gif

Fantastic Four 172 nm- 5.0 frown.gif (large panel on pg 9 held up with 4 pieces of tape foreheadslap.gif )

Fantastic Four 173 nm+ 8.5 frown.gif (I think I submitted the wrong copy foreheadslap.gif )

Ghost Rider 17 vf/nm 9.4 smile.gifshocked.gif

Ghost Rider 18 nm 8.5 frown.gif

Ghost Rider 19 nm 8.5 frown.gif

Howard the Duck 4 nm+ 9.8 smile.gifshocked.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Howard the Duck 4 nm 9.6 smile.gif

Incredible Hulk 198 nm 9.4 thumbsup2.gif

Incredible Hulk 200 nm+ 9.6 thumbsup2.gif (Thank you Scottish and Joe Collector : applause:)

Incredible Hulk 202 nm 9.0 frown.gif

Inhumans 4 nm- 9.6 smile.gif

Invaders 7 nm- 9.6 smile.gif

Kazar 15 nm 9.6 smile.gif

Marvel Chillers 4 nm+ 9.6 thumbsup2.gif

Marvel Chillers 4 vf/nm 9.0 thumbsup2.gif

Marvel Chillers 5 vf- 7.5 thumbsup2.gif

Marvel Premiere 29 nm+ 9.6 thumbsup2.gif

Marvel Premiere 31 nm+ 9.6 thumbsup2.gif

Marvel Presents 4 nm- 9.0 frown.gif

Marvel Presents 4 nm- 6.0 frown.gif

Omega the Unknown 3 nm+ 9.4 frown.gif

Powerman 30 nm- 9.4 smile.gif

Powerman 31 nm- 9.6 smile.gif

Powerman 32 nm- 9.6 smile.gif

Powerman 33 nm- 9.4 smile.gif

Sgt Fury 133 vf+ 9.4 smile.gifshocked.gif893applaud-thumb.gif (I took off too much for the spinal flaws, and IMO scuffed/dulled spinal corner)

Son of Satan 3 nm- 9.4 smile.gif

Strange Tales 186 vf- 8.0 smile.gif

Super-villian Team-Up 5 vf/nm 9.6 smile.gifshocked.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Super-villian Team-Up 6 vf/nm 7.5 frown.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif didn't get to ask about this one; probably unseen water damage

Thor 250 nm 9.2 frown.gif

Tomb of Darkness 20 vf/nm 9.0 thumbsup2.gif

Tomb of Dracula 43 nm+ 9.4 frown.gif

Tomb of Dracula 45 nm 9.4 thumbsup2.gif

X-Men 98 fn 4.5 frown.gif

X-men 99 fn+ 6.0 frown.gif

X-Men 99 fn/vf 7.0 thumbsup2.gif

What impressed me about the CGC onsite grading (first time I was able to do it 893applaud-thumb.gif ) the most was when I picked up the books and I looked them over, I went back to the the CGC booth and spoke with Marc Haspel and Paul Litch about some of the grades. I got the graders notes from them first hand and they remembered going over each book and what flaws had knocked it down to the lower than expected grade. They pointed to spots on the cover where the flaw was evident and I had to agree that I didn't notice it when I was hurriedly prepping them for submission at home 4:15AM the night before. It will help me in the future to decide which books I will submit when expecting a specific grade. On the books where I was off by a notch, it was acceptable to me as I could have been biased and favoring my books where CGC graded lower or I could have been taking off too much for noticeable flaws where CGC didn't take off as much. For the low low price of $20 per modern, I was able to get my 60 book submission right away (Scott took great care of me, while my pregnant wife was feeding Logan his lunch to the side all the while), talk to the graders after pickup and find out why the books got the grades they did and experience a free grading clinic seminar to boot!

Now I've got a lot of "currently top census" dupe copies to move on eBay before the next census update tongue.gifdevil.gif