• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ninja Turtles - Differences Between Printings?
8 8

370 posts in this topic

Having been the one to have first "discovered" the Gobbledygook counterfeits back in the 90's, I can tell you for sure that the two books discussed (the $23k 9.8 book and restored 9.0 on eBay) are definitively not 1st printings from the scans that have been provided. I'd be willing bet a real first printing. They are one of the following:

1) Misidentified 3rd printings

hm

2) Doctored 3rd printings (with the printing infomation erased)

smiley_nah.gif

3) Counterfeits with new a new cover that was shot off a 3rd printing

smiley_nah.gif

4) Cracked open cases - Someone cracked open the case for a 1st printing and replaced it with a 3rd printing

smiley_nah.gif

The only way may be to open one of the books in question to find out what it is. But, I can tell you I've known about the extra blood spot in the logo for years and it is an easy way to spot a 3rd printing at a distance.

The interiors of #1's are also slightly different. A lesser known fact is that each if the first three printings is a slightly different size (as are the 1st and 2nd printings of #2). I believe the 3rd printing is actually more narrow than a 1st printing. And, the interior grey tones on the 3rd printing are more washed out than the 1st and 2nd printings. These are some additional things to look for if you were to authenticate a 1st printing and didn't want to rely only on the cover.

I think that owners of these books should work with CGC to help solve this mystery. We're all speculating until someone can examine them in more detail. If someone has tampered with one of the CGC cases, CGC should be able to inspect it first hand and confirm this. If the owners crack open the cases themselves, we may never get to the bottom of things. But, I think it's important that the results be shared publicly so that people can be assured that they have a first printing inside books that are certified.

So what's the final verdict on this? Are those for sure misidentified 3rd prints?

I hope someone from CGC can weigh in on this, because I'm currently shopping for a 1st print and I'm putting a lot of trust in their slab.

#1 is the most damaging to CGC as that would indicate they missed many clear signs of a third printing. I personally hope that's not the case...

#1 is the most damaging to CGC as that would indicate they missed many clear signs of a third printing. I personally hope that's not the case...

You are not kidding. I hate to think this even took place on any book, let alone a high-profile book like this that would get loads of press.

It would be great if this was an early April Fools joke delivered early. But at this point, I don't think so.

:(

Well I posted a question in the "Ask CGC" section with the hopes they will address it. It's subject to moderation so we'll see if it makes the light of day.

Hopefully they'll provide some of re-verification of existing 1st prints, and compensation for those who had mislabeled ones.

They can get past it.

1: Announce that the issue exists, and if possible how many TMNT 1 "first prints" we're affected.

2: Identify the cause of the problem and explain how CGC will prevent it in the future.

3: Announce a resolution for existing TMNT 1 copies, e.g. offer to reinspect existing first prints and reimburse people who purchased mislabeled copies.

Doodoo happens. It's how you deal with it that matters.

Edited by USArmyParatrooper

They can get past it.

1: Announce that the issue exists, and if possible how many TMNT 1 "first prints" we're affected.

2: Identify the cause of the problem and explain how CGC will prevent it in the future.

3: Announce a resolution for existing TMNT 1 copies, e.g. offer to reinspect existing first prints and reimburse people who purchased mislabeled copies.

do you really that it's that easy? you dont think people would not question the integrity of their other books? other variants? printings?

that PGX kid caused a huge comotion across differnt outlets and its still refered to today.

believe me, i wish the best to CGC but it could get ugly.

They can get past it.

do you really that it's that easy? you dont think people would not question the integrity of their other books? other variants? printings?

that PGX kid caused a huge comotion across differnt outlets and its still refered to today.

believe me, i wish the best to CGC but it could get ugly.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3571506

Here are pictures of the mislabeled second and third print #0s:

IMG_2130.jpg

Which one's which? I dunno anymore. ;)

I've gone through all the copies I can find on Google, eBay, and Heritage archives.

The only two I can find are that 9.0 restored that was on eBay and the 9.8 copy that has been posted in this thread.

I'd hope that those two are the only ones, but all we can do is keep an eye out for new ones that pop up for sale. Jeff has let CGC know so I hope they can get to the bottom of it.

I'd almost guess that someone is altering 3rd prints to pass through as 1st prints. Going by the serial numbers, I'd think they could tell if it's coming from one source.

Then again, they might have been altered and sold raw to unsuspecting collectors who in turn submitted them to CGC not knowing what they were.

At least now there are more of us armed with information that makes us more aware of what we're buying.