• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ninja Turtles - Differences Between Printings?
8 8

370 posts in this topic

Interesting. So basically this is treated as "coverless 3rd printing with reproduction cover", which is exactly what it is. However, the printing notation not present is a VERY important oversight. Did CGC believe it to be a 1st printing interior perhaps?

It appears CGC wasn't aware of that distinction at the time it was graded. Or the label would have said coverless 3rd printing. Hopefully, from this thread they now know. (thumbs u

Interesting. So there's really nothing stopping someone from buying a third print, tearing off the cover, subbing it to get this label, and selling the book as a coverless first print. Now we all have something else to look out for when buying first prints.

You can tell it's a third print by the greytones. The 1st page is pretty easy to see the difference. (thumbs u

But a buyer wouldn't be able to check the interior tones when they are covered by a xerox copy. If I was a buyer and was not aware of the last dozen posts in this thread I would buy the book as a first print NG, trusting CGC's label.

Interesting. So there's really nothing stopping someone from buying a third print, tearing off the cover, subbing it to get this label, and selling the book as a coverless first print. Now we all have something else to look out for when buying first prints.

You can tell it's a third print by the greytones. The 1st page is pretty easy to see the difference. (thumbs u

But a buyer wouldn't be able to check the interior tones when they are covered by a xerox copy. If I was a buyer and was not aware of the last dozen posts in this thread I would buy the book as a first print NG, trusting CGC's label.

+1

I was thinking raw or just plain coverless, but I see now you inferred "graded" in your OP.

It appears CGC graders aren't aware of the information in this thread. I just noticed the book in question is the same book we identified in this thread, so it was subbed recently (within this past year).

+1

I was thinking raw or just plain coverless, but I see now you inferred "graded" in your OP.

It appears CGC graders aren't aware of the information in this thread. I just noticed the book in question is the same book we identified in this thread, so it was subbed recently (within this past year).

Yeah. Im traveling for dragon con right now, but ill look to see when it was subbed after the weekend.

Also, I wanted to mention again that I didnt sub this book with the intention to deceive. I subbed it as a counterfeit, and talked about it being a coverswap third print in my dealings with the cgc.

I just wanted it to be clear that getting it through as a first print wasnt my intention.

Re: the $23k 9.8... I got a PM from Litch. CGC spotted this back in August and swapped out the 9.8 3rd print for a 9.8 1st print. The buyer was made whole and the mistake corrected.

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean CGC swapped the labels or the comic?

If it was a comic, was the comic graded to be 9.8? If so, how many 9.8s are there now?

If it was a label, is the comic within the case still a 3rd print and they're just calling it a 1st print?

It means what it means. There was a 9.8 3rd print that received a 1st print label. CGC realized it when they saw it on Pedigree back in August and they have "taken care of it" by "replacing it with a 1st print 9.8". Commenting any further would be pure speculation.

True. The mystery continues...

As a customer I'd love to know what really happened. Probably never will though.

:popcorn:

I think it's safe to say (from a customer perspective), CGC messed up, they caught it, then cleaned up the mess.

This was brought up in the official thread, but the discussion belongs here since this is where the book was discussed originally. It's back, and it's up for sale on ComicLink this time.

It's looks like when a replacement was found and sent to the winner of the Pedigree auction the mislabeled book wasn't removed from the slab, or collected by CGC. Now it's in the hands of someone trying to sell it.

I spoke with Sean Goodrich from ComicLink today at the Baltimore Comic Con, and told him about the listing.

Is this a 3rd print 9.8 graded as a 1st print priced to move?

TMNT 1 9.8

Definitely a 3rd print, and definitely the same one discussed before....

Um...

This is the copy that sold for $23k in August. :o

http://www.pedigreecomics.com/auction-detail.php?issue_id=36924

1042260008.jpg

you can barely see it but the little 'mark' talked about above the building seems to be there, or am i mistaken ? might be another cgc messup

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-TMNT-1-Mirage-Studios-SIGNED-CGC-8-5-FIRST-PRINT-/231083806267?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item35cdab0e3b

From the first picture it appears to be a first print. The resolution in the second picture is just too low to tell for sure, but I see what you're talking about.

you can barely see it but the little 'mark' talked about above the building seems to be there, or am i mistaken ? might be another cgc messup

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-TMNT-1-Mirage-Studios-SIGNED-CGC-8-5-FIRST-PRINT-/231083806267?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item35cdab0e3b

From the first picture it appears to be a first print. The resolution in the second picture is just too low to tell for sure, but I see what you're talking about.

Yea I can see a black dot above the building. I don't know if anyone else can. But I see it.

Not commenting on this particular case as I'm on my phone and can't see the pics well, but this whole TMNT 1st/2nd schmozzle has to be one of cgc's all time biggest screw ups. :tonofbricks: The sad part is that if you have them in hand its ridiculously easy to tell the printings apart? There's no excuse for this kind of massive screwup - the printings are clearly marked! 2c Anyone with a frickin' overstreet guide should be able to tell the two apart.

Not commenting on this particular case as I'm on my phone and can't see the pics well, but this whole TMNT 1st/2nd schmozzle has to be one of cgc's all time biggest screw ups. :tonofbricks: The sad part is that if you have them in hand its ridiculously easy to tell the printings apart? There's no excuse for this kind of massive screwup - the printings are clearly marked! 2c Anyone with a frickin' overstreet guide should be able to tell the two apart.

Word!

This one looks good. A+

I forget which dot to look for...

I just read back through this thread for a refresher. The 2 copies currently on ebay mentioned in the past few posts look like legit 1st prints to me. It's hard to see the floating fragment/dot (or not see it) but the crosshatching in the building seems consistent with 1st prints.

I forget which dot to look for...

I just read back through this thread for a refresher. The 2 copies currently on ebay mentioned in the past few posts look like legit 1st prints to me. It's hard to see the floating fragment/dot (or not see it) but the crosshatching in the building seems consistent with 1st prints.

I was going to post the differences for you, but I thought for a second you were being sarcastic. :insane: My B

Have we seen examples of them mixing up 1st/2nd prints? I know there was the 3rd print that was mislabeled, but maybe I missed other examples (shrug)

I think we need to keep in mind that 99.99% they get it right. It's important to understand the printing differences to be an educated buyer, but we need to be careful about disparaging sellers' books when the resolution isn't good enough to tell one way or the other. When in doubt I'll trust CGC 2c

I agree with the others that it's a blurry picture. If I was shopping for one I'd definitely ask for a better picture before bidding.

Not only is the "dot" possibly there, but the blood is really off on the last S in turtles as well. I wouldn't rule out it being a counterfeit. From what I can see, it's not worth the risk for peace of mind. I would avoid at all cost. 2c