• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ninja Turtles - Differences Between Printings?
8 8

370 posts in this topic

I emailed that seller and he readily admits that the book is a third print. I'm guessing he listed it assuming it was first and someone let him know so he ended the auction.

has it been confirmed or debunked yet that #2 1st and 2nd printings can be distinguished by the white corner in the bottom left of the cover? All my 1st prints have it. 2nd prints do not, which i guess would mean 2nd prints would also be shorter. Anyone else chime in on this !?

Post some crisp clean photos of what your talking about. Thanks!!!

first photo is of a 1st print #2

corner1_zps134920a6.jpg

next is of a 2nd print #2

corner2_zpsbe75c437.jpg

this is the white corner im speaking of. Wanted to see if this holds up with other copies

Mine are the same, first print has the corner second print does not.

I just spent a few hours (over the past few days) trying to figure out the difference in #2 printings. I don't think that corner thingy is consistent, but I could be wrong, and I will look into it.

From what I've seen so far - out of about 50 books on the web (ebay etc) - there are TWO distinct FIRST prints. The blue is offset to the right on most, but for some the blue is offset closer to the bottom (and sort of in the middle) on others.

The second print #2 seems easier *to tell, but that's a whole other (lesser) story.

Along the way, I may have discovered how to detect a #2 counterfeit. However, I think a bit more investigation is needed, and it's pretty damn hard to tell, especially from blurry cell phone photos.

In reality, investigating this is raising more questions for me, like: "why does there seem to be two print runs for the first print", and other crazy thoughts that I won't bring up right now, and might cause mass hysteria.

I probably sound delirious trying to explain it now, so I will promise to get back to everyone here with a more concise explanation when I am in my right mind and have it sorted out.

I wish I saw that post about the white corner of the 2nd print. Another board member had one up for sale on Ebay and I noticed that white corner. I asked him about it but he didn't answer until after the auction ended. It went for cheap and I would have bid on it.

The picture was from a couple feet away and I couldn't tell if it was some kind of damage, something on the corner or the comic itself.

Oh, well.

The white mark on the bottom left corner on the front of the 1st print is visible on both copies and there seems to be some off centering on the rear cover on both although the slabbed one is worse than the raw one. So the white mark is actually the mouser's left leg showing on the cover of the 1st print due to the off centering of the print. I don't know if this is pandemic to all first prints but it is in my case.

So far I'm seeing that the white mark in the corner is on most first prints, but I have seen one where you can barely see it.

And, the white mark is NOT there for most second prints. However.... here is a second print that seems to have the white mark:

2nd print

$_57.JPG

The white corner in the bottom left hand corner is a result of the 2nd print having smaller dimensions.

Since the 2nd print is smaller there is less of the wraparound cover image shown. Thus, the white part doesn't show up.

It's important to know that's the reason for it. It's not a "tell" or changed image on the 2nd print. It's just a smaller cover for the wraparound image to fit on.

Sooooooooo, it's NOT reliable. Why? Because comic books have miss wraps all the time.

Compare Pubmonkey's TMNT #2 first print (with the white corner) to the eBay TMNT #2 first print (without the white corner). Notice the RIGHT side of the comics.... The 2nd one is miss wrapped. It's probably a legit 1st print. 2c

TMNT2_zps73bf1f1d1bluebox_zps5b1ac45e.jpg

TMNT2bluebox_zps0f97ae20.jpg

Correctly printed 1st print books will have the white corner.

Correctly printed 2nd print books will NOT have the white corner.

HOWEVER, it's not a guaranteed way to check. If something is amiss check the right side of the book to see if it's possibly miss wrapped. (thumbs u