• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ninja Turtles - Differences Between Printings?
8 8

370 posts in this topic

The mirage website has always been a solid source of info regarding TMNT comics. They've got a good page dedicated to the obvious differences among the first 3 printings.

http://www.miragelicensing.com/comics/mirage/volume01/01/printing-info.html

They mention the first print is 7 3/8". I know someone mentioned that the 3rd print is narrower and I remember that being true as well, but I measured my copies to get a little more precise. The range accounted for miswraps (measurements made at the top and bottom of the books) and multiple copies.

1st print - 7 1/2" to 7 9/16"

2nd print - 7 9/16" to 7 3/4"

3rd print - 7 3/8"

My 1st and 2nd prints varied in width but were noticeably wider than the 3rd print. 3rd prints were consistently 7 3/8" wide (top and bottom) across the 3 copies I have. Mirage was notorious for using cheap printers, hence the errors early on in the run. It's possible that they paid a little extra for the 3rd printing and got a little higher quality as the run seems far more consistent in size.

Of course, we're now just looking at the differences at 1st and 2nd prints. I think I've got a way to identify a 1st print from a 2nd print based strictly on the cover. I'd like to test it before telling it so I don't unintentionally spread false rumors. Post pictures of 1st and 2nd print covers without stating which one it is and I'll see if I can correctly identify it. If it works, I'll share my theory. The higher the resolution the better, but feel free to use google or any auction sites to test this. I'm very curious.

The mirage website has always been a solid source of info regarding TMNT comics. They've got a good page dedicated to the obvious differences among the first 3 printings.

http://www.miragelicensing.com/comics/mirage/volume01/01/printing-info.html

They mention the first print is 7 3/8". I know someone mentioned that the 3rd print is narrower and I remember that being true as well, but I measured my copies to get a little more precise. The range accounted for miswraps (measurements made at the top and bottom of the books) and multiple copies.

1st print - 7 1/2" to 7 9/16"

2nd print - 7 9/16" to 7 3/4"

3rd print - 7 3/8"

My 1st and 2nd prints varied in width but were noticeably wider than the 3rd print. 3rd prints were consistently 7 3/8" wide (top and bottom) across the 3 copies I have. Mirage was notorious for using cheap printers, hence the errors early on in the run. It's possible that they paid a little extra for the 3rd printing and got a little higher quality as the run seems far more consistent in size.

Of course, we're now just looking at the differences at 1st and 2nd prints. I think I've got a way to identify a 1st print from a 2nd print based strictly on the cover. I'd like to test it before telling it so I don't unintentionally spread false rumors. Post pictures of 1st and 2nd print covers without stating which one it is and I'll see if I can correctly identify it. If it works, I'll share my theory. The higher the resolution the better, but feel free to use google or any auction sites to test this. I'm very curious.

Do you need front and back, or just front?

I have 2 1st and a 2nd. I'll measure when I get when I get home.

If you've got scans, please post them without stating which is which.

I'm not sold on the size thing because size can vary greatly though a press run.

Sorry, but you need to stop posting for the day.

After that "so fake they should have UPC's on them," you can only go downhill from here. Funny stuff!

:roflmao:

This copy is in the registry and is owned by "vrecaro."

I think that was the one that bumped Peter Palmer's TMNT set.

Yeah, it's in the #1 set.

I think that was the one that bumped Peter Palmer's TMNT set.

Yeah, it's in the #1 set.

crazy that 1 issue bumped a set that's only missing a single issue... 11k points? Wow...

Um...

This is the copy that sold for $23k in August. :o

http://www.pedigreecomics.com/auction-detail.php?issue_id=36924

1042260008.jpg

I'm 2nd to a possible 3rd print!? :tonofbricks:

And to reiterate...the size thing doesn't matter unless you're talking about differentiating a 3rd print from a 1st or 2nd but as discussed, a 3rd print has a more obvious tell. In other words, don't spend too much time measuring books. Spend more time posting your books so we can see if there's a way to tell a 1st from a 2nd from the cover.

Um...

1042260008.jpg

And to reiterate...the size thing doesn't matter unless you're talking about differentiating a 3rd print from a 1st or 2nd but as discussed, a 3rd print has a more obvious tell. In other words, don't spend too much time measuring books. Spend more time posting your books so we can see if there's a way to tell a 1st from a 2nd from the cover.

Are you saying you can tell the difference between a first and second print from the cover?

Um...

1042260008.jpg

If he paid 23k for a third print, he deserves to take the registry crown away from you. :makepoint:

Are you saying you can tell the difference between a first and second print from the cover?

I'm saying I can tell the difference strictly by the covers of the issues I have on-hand and would like to see if it's just a coincidence or not by sampling a wider pool.