• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ninja Turtles - Differences Between Printings?
8 8

370 posts in this topic

From the cover I would say that's a legit 1st print. I don't know why people keep missing the most significant post in the entire thread but here it is.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5504932#Post5504932

In the second print there's a little dot above the middle building. But if you're the one who submitted it, you should know if it's a first print since you were able to open it.

My first print is the exact same width and height of my third print. My second print is wider and slightly taller than my 1st and 3rd. I was under the impression that 1st and 2nd were nearly identical in size.

The 1st and 2nd print are definitely suppose to be larger than the 3rd print. Both in length and width. So that is cause for concern. The exact size does vary slightly though. I have a 2nd print that is slightly wider than my 1st print. But the 3rd print is definitely the smallest.

Also, the 1st does have the Gobbledygook ad, but on the inside front cover, the address is cut off at the bottom. Also, the paper used for the cover is a different type of paper than is used for the 2nd and 3rd printings. The image on the cover doesn't look as "crisp" as the subsequent two printings. I suspect it may be a photocopy.

Now, my inclination is that a 3rd printing interior was used, and a first printing cover was photocopied, cut to the width of the 3rd printing and attached carefully. I hope this is not the case but I wondered if I could get some insight on here. Thanks!

Here is another "tell" that will help determine if the interior was a 3rd print, and you have a frankenbook. The interiors to the 3rd print were colored darker. The image below is of a 2nd print and 3rd print side by side to compare. This Raphael page is the easiest to see the difference.

The address being cut worries me. It may still be legit; however, trimmed though. (shrug)

You should post a picture of the interior for us to better tell.

IMG_1535.jpg

Thanks for the insight!

Unfortunately, that Raphael page looks exactly the same in my 1st and 3rd print, like your picture on the right. I can definitely see the difference in my 2nd printing.

And, the Gobbledygook ad seems to have the right side cut off of on the second issue.

looking at this page: http://miragelicensing.com/comics/mirage/volume01/01/printing-info.html

it seems you should see both books in their entirety.

eapd3c.jpg

1lmon.jpg

153thsm.jpg

Aw man, I feel for you. That's definitely a 3rd print interior. I hope you didn't pay too much for it. :cry:

The cover could still be a legit 1st print cover trimmed and then married to a 3rd print interior. But it's more likely a counterfeit made exactly the way you originally thought. :sorry:

Now, my inclination is that a 3rd printing interior was used, and a first printing cover was photocopied, cut to the width of the 3rd printing and attached carefully. I hope this is not the case but I wondered if I could get some insight on here. Thanks!

:eek::facepalm:

Thanks. This is what my gut told me, I just didn't want to believe it. Glad I could get a second opinion. Back to the drawing board on finding a legit #1, I guess. I paid $250 about 4 years ago. Lesson learned. This thread ensures that I won't be hosed again. Now I need to figure out what to do with this comic. I don't want it to fall into the "wrong" hands again, so I guess it's either keep it or destroy it.

:eek::facepalm:

Thanks. This is what my gut told me, I just didn't want to believe it. Glad I could get a second opinion. Back to the drawing board on finding a legit #1, I guess. I paid $250 about 4 years ago. Lesson learned. This thread ensures that I won't be hosed again. Now I need to figure out what to do with this comic. I don't want it to fall into the "wrong" hands again, so I guess it's either keep it or destroy it.

I'll take it as a reader. Check your PMs. (thumbs u

Sorry about getting got, but it could have been much worse than $250 bucks. This one is very hard to find low grade, so if you find one scrutinize everything before you buy.

Edited by USArmyParatrooper

Back to the drawing board on finding a legit #1, I guess.

Here is another well known counterfeit to be on the look out for as well, so you don't get deceived again.

It's the "white stripe" counterfeit and apparantly a lot were made. When the color was added to the cover, it didn't match up correctly to the black. There are 2 easy spots to identify it by the cover. The blood in the "S" and the "white stripe" down the cover on the right side.

CounterfeitReddoesntlineupwithblackonrightsideWhitestripe.jpg

Now I need to figure out what to do with this comic. I don't want it to fall into the "wrong" hands again, so I guess it's either keep it or destroy it.

I wouldn't be too quick to chuck it out; there's a handful of collectors out there who would love to a TMNT #1 counterfeit. It's been well known for a while now that a number of #1s were faked, but not too many seem to show up (in relation to the real deal). I could easily see some completionist wanting to add this bit of the darker "history" of TMNT to their collection...

Now I need to figure out what to do with this comic. I don't want it to fall into the "wrong" hands again, so I guess it's either keep it or destroy it.

I wouldn't be too quick to chuck it out; there's a handful of collectors out there who would love to a TMNT #1 counterfeit. It's been well known for a while now that a number of #1s were faked, but not too many seem to show up (in relation to the real deal). I could easily see some completionist wanting to add this bit of the darker "history" of TMNT to their collection...

+1

I admit I'm in this category and sent him an offer through PM as well. lol

I guess that trumps my needing a reader copy. All I offered to do was pay for shipping.

:roflmao:

In all seriousness, this thread has been a great education. Kudos to all the detectives!

+1

I admit I'm in this category and sent him an offer through PM as well. lol

Me too :-)

Thanks for info! I just got mine and now I can be sure I got what I paid for.

tmnt-1.jpg

Congrats on the grail pickup! :applause:

It's also nice to see that new people are finding this informative thread! (thumbs u

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned, there's another easy way to tell if a copy is a 3rd printing.

The 3rd printing is slightly smaller in width than the first two. The black bar on the rhs of the front cover will be thinner.

Exterior differences from 1st to 3rd:

3rd is pinker in color.

3rd has more blood in the second 'T' in Turtles.

3rd is thinner in width and has a thinner black bar on the right hand side.

Don't take the CGC label for granted if you are buying a graded copy that is advertised as a first print. Look closely at the book itself.

emot-salute.gif