• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ninja Turtles - Differences Between Printings?
8 8

370 posts in this topic

Holy :censored: is this an interesting thread! :o

That CGC 9.8 being a 3rd print is crazy. Wow!

Makes me want to get mine reholdered to verify it's not a 2nd print. No way I want to crack it by myself at home without a witness. 2c

I know people have stated the color difference, but I didn't see any side by side examples. Here is a 1st print and a 3rd print side by side. You can see the 1st print is a much darker red, while the 3rd print is more pinkish.

TMNT.jpg

Are you saying you can tell the difference between a first and second print from the cover?

I'm saying I can tell the difference strictly by the covers of the issues I have on-hand and would like to see if it's just a coincidence or not by sampling a wider pool.

I think I'm with you on this. I can definitely see a difference in my 1st and 2nd.

Okay, killer, knock yourself out...

HUGE!

TMNT1a1.jpg

HUGE!

TMNT1c1.jpg

HUGE!

TMNT1b1.jpg

If I had to guess, I'd say the first image is a 1st print and the second image is a 2nd print. The 3rd image is throwing me a bit, but I'd say 2nd. If I'm wrong, I'll consider my theory debunked.

If I had to guess, I'd say the first image is a 1st print and the second image is a 2nd print. The 3rd image is throwing me a bit, but I'd say 2nd. If I'm wrong, I'll consider my theory debunked.

Are you saying you can tell the difference between a first and second print from the cover?

I'm saying I can tell the difference strictly by the covers of the issues I have on-hand and would like to see if it's just a coincidence or not by sampling a wider pool.

I think I'm with you on this. I can definitely see a difference in my 1st and 2nd.

So what did you see? Was it something other than the color fading?

Edited by maloney414

Dannnnnnnggggggg - so it isn't that easy to tell.

So what did you see? Was it something other than the color fading?

Like Peter, I want to see a few more images to compare before I bias everyone. But the red color strike is definitely a possibility. I've got scans in Photoshop right now looking for something definitive.

I'd like to see more. I felt pretty confident about the first 2 (which I got correct), but like I said the 3rd one made me miss. I was thinking 1st print until I blew it up and looked closer. A really fine detail made me switch. I'd like to see a few more.

I wasn't looking at the color strike at all.

PM incoming, Stongguy

After comparing Jeff's scans and looking at other copies on Google Images, I've found a tell between first and second print.

So far it's 100% accurate, but I'll need to see more copies before I'm convinced.

It takes a fairly decent photo, but there's a difference between the two that's visible on the FC.

Okay, I'm pretty sure I've nailed it down. There is a black artifact that appears on the 2nd prints that is not on the 1st prints. This is consistent in every 1st and 2nd print I can find.

These are my copies... 1st, 1st, 2nd

Capture2.jpg

These are from eBay...

2nd

Capture3.jpg

2nd

Capture5.jpg

1st

Capture4.jpg

Those of you who have 2nd prints please check them out and post pix of this area if possible.

There's also some garbage just to the right of that spot, in the white area between the two buildings, that is not present on the first print.

But the dot you've circled is easier to see than the garbage.