• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ninja Turtles - Differences Between Printings?
8 8

370 posts in this topic

Well if it's any consolation there's probably a 1st print 9.8 floating around in a with a 3rd print 9.8 label. ;)

Actually I was wondering if the labels are produced by a CGC worker choosing a preexisting comic from within their database.

In other words, Peter clicking the wrong one cost Paul $23,000 :ohnoez:

boy, you got to think that there's some culpability for the guy who subbed the book to cgc, as when it came back with a 1st print label on it, selling it as such would be fraudulent.

assuming the submitter knew what print it was when it was subbed. which is an assumption i'd make, given the breadth of the collection

boy, you got to think that there's some culpability for the guy who subbed the book to cgc, as when it came back with a 1st print label on it, selling it as such would be fraudulent.

assuming the submitter knew what print it was when it was subbed. which is an assumption i'd make, given the breadth of the collection

From a moral standpoint absolutely, but I think legally he has enough plausible deniability to escape any kind of judgment. Even if he filled out his submission form for a third print he can simply say, "I thought I was wrong since CGC is supposed to be the expert."

True, but it's been brought to my attention that there were multiple prints of that issue subbed, so the old Hanlon quote is probably germane here;

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

I would not want to be the employee of a grading company responsible for this. Secondly, someone who has $23,000 to spend on a comic and doesn't do research on such a suspect comic ( counterfeits existing, 1, 2, 3 print runs ) is asking for trouble.

I think you're wrong in the second part. The buyer shouldn't have to be the expert because they are banking on the name of CGC. CGC said it was a first and that should be good enough for any buyer. By buying a slabbed book, you are buying the assurance that it is what is says it is.

CGC screwed the pooch here and bears full responsibility.

+1

Personally I rely on CGC to be right 100% of the time so that my hard earned money is not wasted on mislabelled items. If CGC steps up and takes care of the issue and admits to it publically then I think they are still in good standing. We are all human and mistakes happen no matter what kind of checks are in place. It's how we deal with it that is important.

I wonder how long it will be before we hear about the 9.0 (on Ebay) and the 9.8 (that had the record sale price) and how it is resolved...

:popcorn:

I know this thread has been focused on the 1st issue, but I just bought issue 2 and the dealer had it listed as a 2nd print. I am comparing it to my first print copy and they are identical from what I can tell. Does the 2nd print have different ads or say 2nd printing somewhere? I'm just wondering if he had it mis-labed or if my 1st print is really a second print.

Thanks

Okay, killer, knock yourself out...

If I had to guess, I'd say the first image is a 1st print and the second image is a 2nd print. The 3rd image is throwing me a bit, but I'd say 2nd. If I'm wrong, I'll consider my theory debunked.

Oddly enough, I guessed correctly on all three.

Of course, that proves nothing. I made a deal long ago with the devil in exchange for useless abilities.

I know this thread has been focused on the 1st issue, but I just bought issue 2 and the dealer had it listed as a 2nd print. I am comparing it to my first print copy and they are identical from what I can tell. Does the 2nd print have different ads or say 2nd printing somewhere? I'm just wondering if he had it mis-labed or if my 1st print is really a second print.

Thanks

should say second print on the inside cover where leonardo is

Re: the $23k 9.8... I got a PM from Litch. CGC spotted this back in August and swapped out the 9.8 3rd print for a 9.8 1st print. The buyer was made whole and the mistake corrected.

Re: the $23k 9.8... I got a PM from Litch. CGC spotted this back in August and swapped out the 9.8 3rd print for a 9.8 1st print. The buyer was made whole and the mistake corrected.

There was a TMNT #1 first print in CGC 9.8 lying around for them to use??? Does this mean there are still 5 on the census or that they used one of the other 4 to fix their mistake?

??? So many questions!!!

They could buy a copy from any number of sources really.

I'm glad the 23k buyer was made whole.

Still not clear if it was a misidentified third printing (graders at fault) or a mislabeled third printing (production process error)... We may never know. (shrug)

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean CGC swapped the labels or the comic?

If it was a comic, was the comic graded to be 9.8? If so, how many 9.8s are there now?

If it was a label, is the comic within the case still a 3rd print and they're just calling it a 1st print?

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean CGC swapped the labels or the comic?

If it was a comic, was the comic graded to be 9.8? If so, how many 9.8s are there now?

If it was a label, is the comic within the case still a 3rd print and they're just calling it a 1st print?

It means what it means. There was a 9.8 3rd print that received a 1st print label. CGC realized it when they saw it on Pedigree back in August and they have "taken care of it" by "replacing it with a 1st print 9.8". Commenting any further would be pure speculation.

I like happy endings. :cloud9:

Cool thing is this was resolved long before this thread and rectified by CGC without any community pressure whatsoever.