• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whitman DC Variant Appreciation Thread
6 6

274 posts in this topic

:bump: so I can find it on my phone, 2 seconds :) I don't really know anything about Whitman's 

Ugh just realized that I bumped the "DC" Whitman, mine was a Walt Disney one..watch it be dc but wasn't sure

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

The first 6-7 pages of this thread is a photobucket ghost town. I'm starting to think that my Walt Disney #496 was ok to post, but thanks to photo bucket, we may never know :kidaround:

I'm actually glad you posted this.  I, like a lot of others in here, used to use Photobucket to import comic scans into the old chatboards.  With the change to a direct importing of photos/scans, I no longer saw the need to keep my Photobucket account.  I'll have to refresh the scans in my previous posts in here.

On 2/11/2018 at 7:35 PM, Shark said:

I'm actually glad you posted this.  I, like a lot of others in here, used to use Photobucket to import comic scans into the old chatboards.  With the change to a direct importing of photos/scans, I no longer saw the need to keep my Photobucket account.  I'll have to refresh the scans in my previous posts in here.

Unfortunately, I don't see a way to edit posts that old in here.  The chatboards don't give us that option apparently.

5 hours ago, Mayor006 said:

I've got probably 20 or 30 of these things but the problem with the copies I have gotten is somebody wrote the issue number in ink on the front. :cry:

I see that quite a bit... Of course, that might be what it takes to get CGC to label the books correctly. I have 4 or 5 where CGC has assigned them the wrong number.

Sometimes, it’s not that big a deal. Like I have a Wonder Woman #250 labelled as #251. But that’s OK, because I also have a #251 labelled as a #250.

:banana:

21 hours ago, Shark said:

I never thought I'd be lucky enough to own one of these but......

The Eagle Has Landed.  :banana:

Sgt. Rock #329 VG+ Whitman Variant.jpg

Hey that book looks familiar, I'm glad you got it ok.  I have one more copy but I'm holding onto that one.

23 minutes ago, SammyBComics said:

Hey that book looks familiar, I'm glad you got it ok.  I have one more copy but I'm holding onto that one.

I had a feeling it probably came from another board member.  I'm just happy to have finally landed a copy.  Are we still at 10-12 known copies of this book?  Or is it higher than that now?

I think this may be getting confused with DC Comics Presents #22, which many didn’t believe existed until about 5 years ago. For awhile, there were only a handful of known copies of that book, though we must be up to 40 or so by now (which is still very scarce).

In my mind, Sgt Rock 329 is also a tough book, but not to the same degree as DCCP 22. I would say there are likely a few hundred copies out there. I would also say that this book is EXTREMELY difficult in high grade.

However, I do think that Sgt Rock 329 is tougher than several of the so-called big 8 Whitman variants.

Please note that these are my impressions, and I have no hard evidence to back this up... just that I’ve been watching them for about 15 years.