• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whitman DC Variant Appreciation Thread
6 6

274 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2019 at 9:57 AM, PeterPark said:

The big 8 are all really, really tough. I've seen interest shift among them, too. What would be the ranking among them?

DCCP 22

Batman 324

Superman 348

Superboy 6

Flash 286

Action 508

Justice League 179

Legion 264

???? What does anyone else think?

I know that, when I finally went looking for the Legion 264, I found a copy fairly quickly.  I would agree that it's the easiest of the big 8 to get, but it's still a tricky book.

On 8/12/2019 at 1:57 PM, PeterPark said:

The big 8 are all really, really tough. I've seen interest shift among them, too. What would be the ranking among them?

DCCP 22

Batman 324

Superman 348

Superboy 6

Flash 286

Action 508

Justice League 179

Legion 264

???? What does anyone else think?

DCCP 22 is still definitely the hardest, though high prices are starting to bring more copies out.

I think Action 508 is not that hard, and Flash 286 is fairly easy. Legion 264 seems to be very easy at the moment. In terms of the current market, I think JLA 179 is the toughest.

As always, DCCP 1, 2 and 3 are the easiest Whitmans.

I have a 9.2 Whitman Flash 275. Of course it has been graded by another, I would say reputable, grading company.  But I do love that cover. It is strange that a 6.5 is the highest on the CGC census. But I guess it is just not in anyone's wheelhouse to grade theirs. 

On 12/6/2019 at 6:26 PM, keithl said:

hardest one for me to find is a flash 286 in a high grade? 

I did ok with the others 

dc whitman 1.jpg

They are all tough to find in any grade for sure.   Ironically, of these 8 issues, the best condition one of these HTF Whitmans in my collection happens to be the Flash!   My books aren't graded, but probably two books from my set would grade higher than your graded copies, while two of yours would easily outgrade my best copies.   Just a matter of what you find available at any given time.  I see at least 3 copies of DCCP22 on ebay right now (the optimistic buyer of the DCCP in 7.0 from a couple months back has it relisted at about twice the price!) ... but about 12 years ago there were none to find and all were still hidden away in collections and inventories.  I've seen some copies of these 8 in higher grade than I have in my set come up for sale, but I haven't been willing to invest the bucks to make the upgrade...

Edited by Warlord

3 hours ago, Warlord said:

They are all tough to find in any grade for sure.   Ironically, of these 8 issues, the best condition one of these HTF Whitmans in my collection happens to be the Flash!   My books aren't graded, but probably two books from set would grade higher than your graded copies, while two of yours would easily outgrade my best copies.   Just a matter of what you find available at any given time.  I see at least 3 copies of DCCP22 on ebay right now (the optimistic buyer of the DCCP in 7.0 from a couple months back has it relisted at about twice the price!) ... but about 12 years ago they were none to find and all were still hidden away in collections and inventories.  I've seen some copies of these 8 in higher grade than I have in my set come up for sale, but I haven't been willing to invest the bucks to make the upgrade...

I too have several quality books. Its when I'm looking I cant find them and when I'm not they seem to pop up? Congrats on the Flash 268. A high grade still eludes me.

this would be my best grade for that book 

286.jpg

DCCP 22 stands by itself. I have found almost all of the others.

All the rest are at a second tier I think while rare not scarce like DCCP 22

Warlord 22 I have found 3 copies of over the years to compare.

I would be on the fence about moving the Legion and Flash up only because
I have only found them once.

Edited by fastballspecial

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

DCCP 22 stands by itself. I have found almost all of the others.

All the rest are at a second tier I think while rare not scarce like DCCP 22

Warlord 22 I have found 3 copies of over the years to compare.

I would be on the fence about moving the Legion and Flash up only because
I have only found them once.

I’ve seen the Legion book 5 or 6 times in the past year, but Flash only twice.

The Warlord book seems to be particularly tough in high grade (at least to me).

And (as always) I wonder what book DCCP 22 was bagged with...

I can't recall ever finding any of the rarest 8 issues in person - all of those issues in my collection have originated from fellow collectors, ebay, or online comic dealers.  The scarcest I've ever found in person, at a show, is Warlord #22.  I about fell over when I found this Warlord in a $5 box at the annual comic con in 2017.

P1040386.thumb.JPG.c24450e9de959e13981eed9d0a705768.JPG

On 12/17/2019 at 5:54 AM, Joshua33 said:

Wouldn't Superman vs Muhammad Ali count?

My feeling is that this one isn’t too difficult to find - though, like all Whitmans, it can be tough to find in high grade. It's just that the standard version of this book commands some pretty good prices, so the Whitman builds on that.