• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whitman DC Variant Appreciation Thread
6 6

274 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, MisterX said:

Hey, Whitman collectors, what's your opinion on the final price for this Batman 324 that just sold on eBay? (Not my book. Congrats to the seller if they're a boardie!)

Batman 324 Whitman Variant Actually Very rare!! | eBay

Seems a tad high-ish for the condition.  Interesting that there were only three bidders.  One bidder topped out at $87 and that left just the other two to drive up the price almost another $100, which is all it takes.  The winner is a 0 feedback buyer with no other bid history, so the seller will no doubt be anxious while waiting to get paid. :ohnoez:

7 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

At least 2 people greatly overvalued that book.

Wrote my comment before seeing your post or BR's.  I have no experience in finding these in the wild like BR, but I'd still value DCCP22 higher than the Batman.  If I came across two equal grade issues and could only buy one, I'd take DCCP22 because it has the reputation for being the toughest issue.

On 12/3/2020 at 10:47 AM, MisterX said:

Hey, Whitman collectors, what's your opinion on the final price for this Batman 324 that just sold on eBay? (Not my book. Congrats to the seller if they're a boardie!)

This price doesn't surprise me at all because, short of the rarity of DCCP 22, this is easily the most desirable issue to own of the big 8 that has a Whitman variant. It almost never comes up for sale, so the price of entry into this club is reasonably high. I bet the winner is happy.

On 12/3/2020 at 10:47 AM, MisterX said:

I agree with @Warlord that the price is a tad high for its condition, but not outrageous.

I see a few comments suggesting that this one is the hardest after DCCP 22, but I'd rank it a little lower than that. I think (for example) that Justice League of America 179, Flash 286 and Legion of Super-Heroes 264 are all tougher books, in part because Batman was more heavily collected (and saved).

Of course, anything that anybody says about the relative rarity of the scarcest Whitmans is a shoot. They're all like hen's teeth, and what tiny supply randomly survives in one geographic area seems to have no bearing on the overall population. I seem to have no trouble finding Action 508s, for example, but for many they are a ghost.

And - as always - anything in truly high grade (say, 9.0 and above) is impossible. I've been working on my CGC registry set for 6 years, and I only have a quarter of them.

1 hour ago, EC Star&Bar said:

I would not be surprised if JLA routinely outsold Batman when JLA 179 came out (1980).  Batman's popularity didn't begin to spike until Frank Miller etc. later in the decade,

I would have thought the same, so I tried looking up the Statements of Ownership.  While not a direct “apples to apples” comparison as far as publication month goes, JLA #177 (Apr ‘80) shows avg. sales of 128,660 the preceding twelve months and Batman #335 (May ‘81) shows an avg. of 129,699.  Batman’s sales did continue to decline until 1987.

Great find for sure.  You are killing me with that one.  I was unable to find the newsstand edition of that JLA issue anywhere in my area when it was published, as the DC Implosion had an effect on distribution.  Never had problems finding the title for years before and after, just that one issue failed to hit local stands.

2 hours ago, EC Star&Bar said:

Great find for sure.  You are killing me with that one.  I was unable to find the newsstand edition of that JLA issue anywhere in my area when it was published, as the DC Implosion had an effect on distribution.  Never had problems finding the title for years before and after, just that one issue failed to hit local stands.

Funny those news stands. Got into comics in high school in 87. And I'm from Australia so to get my monthly titles I had to hit 3 different news stands within a 10 minute walk from my house. 

Yeah it was a good find at my lcs bargain bin. I don't normally look at the bargain boxes. I need to do more as the last 3 times I looked at them including one time at a con I always find gems for cheap. Whitman's, mark jewelers inserts ect.

When I did my earliest buying around 1974-1975, a place called "News and Book Center" not only had 2 spinner racks with newsstand releases, but they also had a third rack devoted to 3-packs of Whitman editions from Western Pub., comprised of the issues concurrently published with the Gold Key brand.  Sort of odd, as they could've just stuck with the returnable Gold Keys.  

On toward 1977:  Between that place, a drug store, a greeting card shop, and a "Book World" store, I was spinning as many as 7 racks every Saturday morning.  Even with that many, sometimes only 1 copy popped up, as was the case with my copy of Superman #300 ('76) at Osco Drug.

15 hours ago, EC Star&Bar said:

When I did my earliest buying around 1974-1975, a place called "News and Book Center" not only had 2 spinner racks with newsstand releases, but they also had a third rack devoted to 3-packs of Whitman editions from Western Pub., comprised of the issues concurrently published with the Gold Key brand.  Sort of odd, as they could've just stuck with the returnable Gold Keys.  

On toward 1977:  Between that place, a drug store, a greeting card shop, and a "Book World" store, I was spinning as many as 7 racks every Saturday morning.  Even with that many, sometimes only 1 copy popped up, as was the case with my copy of Superman #300 ('76) at Osco Drug.

7 spinner racks on a Saturday morning!  :cloud9::cloud9:

On 3/23/2021 at 9:21 AM, picon3 said:

I was traveling out of town and stopped in a comic shop I used to visit and found these in their $2 bin.  Low grade, but I've never seen any in the wild, so what the hey.  Paul~

Given their distribution, I think it's easier to find DC Whitmans anywhere else but in comic shops.