• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whitman DC Variant Appreciation Thread
6 6

274 posts in this topic

Thanks for the info. It's cool to know your comics have the Pic 'n' Save price tags. I need to start tracking the stores that sold these packs!

The latest 2-packs you listed are those that I've seen before on multiple occasions. The SB244/SF14 has been seen in two versions - one with red logo/labeling on the package and one with green packaging. Do you think your pack is one of those?

I'd guess that unless the books in sealed packs are NM or higher condition that you're almost certainly best off keeping them in the packs. IMHO only rare issues or those in very high grade have much of chance to be worth more as loose comics. And again, I still think the right move is to always keep these 30-something year old packs intact, I'm just trying to allow that there is some potential in some cases where loose comics could be worth more than the packs.

Add another DC Comics Presents 22 to the found list. Picked up a copy today, from a local shop. In VG+ condition. Super happy. This is the second copy I've found in the wild ( different city). I had put up my first copy up for sale with (what I thought at the time) was an outrageous BIN price. I was wrong, and it sold within the hour I posted it. Was disappointed that it did sell. Happy that I've been able to find a replacement. :)

Add another DC Comics Presents 22 to the found list. Picked up a copy today, from a local shop. In VG+ condition. Super happy. This is the second copy I've found in the wild ( different city). I had put up my first copy up for sale with (what I thought at the time) was an outrageous BIN price. I was wrong, and it sold within the hour I posted it. Was disappointed that it did sell. Happy that I've been able to find a replacement. :)

Bah, it's a common book now! :makepoint:

:jokealert:

Congrats, awesome find!

One of my favorite purchases this year I finally got around to scanning. I didn't find it in the wild, though. Picked it up on eBay from a Whitman collector in California.

Although I'm not a Whitman variant collector, I wanted this book for my DC BA war collection. I think I'll post it in the CG best buys 2016 thread, too!

Sgt.%20Rock%20329W_zpssphkegmh.jpg

Terrestrial Breakfast Pastry,

Someone posted this for me in another thread. It has the books, but maybe not scarcity. It seems like I've seen one before though with guesstimates.

DC Whitman List

Drill down on that page and you find this, which is nearly exactly what I need. Thanks!

Someone posted this for me in another thread. It has the books, but maybe not scarcity. It seems like I've seen one before though with guesstimates.

DC Whitman List

Drill down on that page and you find this, which is nearly exactly what I need. Thanks!

I really miss that site.

The DCP 22 was still listed as unverified when the site crashed.

Wonder if any of the other unverified books will ever show up?

DC Whitman List

I really miss that site.

Donut, that site doesn't say anything about scarcity, even at the link you drilled down to, does it? What has you wondering about relative scarcity anyway?

Shield,

I don't hold out much hope for any of the other unverified issues ever materializing. IIRC they were on the list because when the list was being created it pulled info from OPG and apparently OPG listed Whitman variants for those issues. Seems to me that the existence of those issues is extremely unlikely and perhaps was just OPG misinformation.

DC Whitman List

I really miss that site.

Donut, that site doesn't say anything about scarcity, even at the link you drilled down to, does it? What has you wondering about relative scarcity anyway?

Shield,

I don't hold out much hope for any of the other unverified issues ever materializing. IIRC they were on the list because when the list was being created it pulled info from OPG and apparently OPG listed Whitman variants for those issues. Seems to me that the existence of those issues is extremely unlikely and perhaps was just OPG misinformation.

I have a different recollection... it wasn't to do with OPG, but with a mapping of known distribution dates against common Whitman-branded titles released in that time frame. In other words, if Whitmans were distributed for June of 1980, and Justice League was frequently issued with the Whitman logo, then the June 1980 issue of Justice League might possibly exist as a Whitman variant.

Edited by Brock

DC Whitman List

I really miss that site.

Shield,

Back when the matrix was being assembled, it was noted which books seemed more rare basically based on the type of Whitman logo, and I think for the most part, this generalization is still true.

Wayne- The data we had came from what we considered reliable sources and not just OPG. One of the most compelling things I have is a list and correspondence from Doug Sulipa from September of 2005 where he sent me his most up to date version of issues he confirmed to exist. That list had the DCP22 on it and he was right. The list also has JLA 177-178 on it. As a matter of note, the only two we carried on the matrix that he could not confirm (at the time) were Action 506, and B&B 143.