• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quick question on rusty staples?

16 posts in this topic

Quick question guys? A book that is otherwise a 9.2 or 9.4 but has rust and discoloration of the staples..... How far is this going to drop the grade? I had heard once that even if a book was almost perfect with rusty staples it couldnt grade above a fine? Thanks in advance! (thumbs u

depends on how rusty, and how much migration/damage its done to the surrounding paper. I could see it grading anywhere from 5.0-8.5 depending on severity.

depends on how rusty, and how much migration/damage its done to the surrounding paper. I could see it grading anywhere from 5.0-8.5 depending on severity.

No migration, staple only! So it could go as high as 8.5? Thanks bud! (thumbs u

The action #1 at 8.5 has rusty stapes denoted on the label. Of course it is an old label which makes me wonder if it would grade that high again. Given the money involved it will probably never be sent in for a reholder due to the chance of a grade drop.

No migration, staple only! So it could go as high as 8.5? Thanks bud! (thumbs u

Depends on how rusty the staple is. Are we talking a small area of one staple or the entire area of both staples?

The action #1 at 8.5 has rusty stapes denoted on the label. Of course it is an old label which makes me wonder if it would grade that high again. Given the money involved it will probably never be sent in for a reholder due to the chance of a grade drop.

Books don't get regraded when reholdered unless there is a noticeable defect that has been incurred to the book while it is in the holder and the book no longer represents the grade on the label.

It's very likely that the Action #1 would be reholdered without regrading. From what I had heard about the book from people who had seen it in hand, the rust wasn't that bad. CGC simply used to make notations of all kinds on the labels and have since done away with the majority of those notations.

Is there some way to treat a rusty staple to keep it from continuing to rust and not get classified as 'restored'?

To use a larger example, I use a product called 'Sharkhide' on my '71 Camaro that is used to seal bare metal from moisture. I've had my front fenders down to bare metal for over a year and there is no oxidizing on them. Is there some sort of smaller, paper-friendly version of this for comics/books/magazines?

I've never heard of such a thing. Let's say it did exist, how would you treat the staples without removing them ? And if you did not remove them, just sprayed it on or something, how could it possible be 'paper friendly', surely any liquid would leave a stain.

I hate rusty staples but I think the best thing is to simply monitor the humidity level in the environment used for storage.

Is there some way to treat a rusty staple to keep it from continuing to rust and not get classified as 'restored'?

To use a larger example, I use a product called 'Sharkhide' on my '71 Camaro that is used to seal bare metal from moisture. I've had my front fenders down to bare metal for over a year and there is no oxidizing on them. Is there some sort of smaller, paper-friendly version of this for comics/books/magazines?

I've never heard of any product being used successfully.

Depending on the degree, most collectors I know replace rusty staples to prevent further damage to the book, especially it there is no migration currently present.

Am I correct in believing that rust on staples and migration can occur while IN the slab?

Meaning- that it's a progressive deterioration that might not have been present during the grading and slabbing process...

:shrug:

Am I correct in believing that rust on staples and migration can occur while IN the slab?

Meaning- that it's a progressive deterioration that might not have been present during the grading and slabbing process...

The slab and inner well do not protect the book from humidity but proper storage conditions should.

Yes, rust never sleeps as Neil Young once crooned. :)

Rust is just the oxidation of iron, so it only requires the oxygen in either air or water to begin/continue - even in trace amounts.

The only way to prevent or halt this process would be to purge the sealed environment with an inert gas such as nitrogen or argon, but even then the comic itself will outgass oxygen due to its moisture content.

Here's a great 8.0 example that I ran across recently.

Both staples rusty with migration on the bottom staple.

9c23271f.jpg

2a418740.jpg

:o

Agreed - there's no way in h-e-LL this book should have graded this high. :sumo: (unless I submitted it, of course :devil: )

CGC seems to be letting rust on a nice book get an 8.0

TOcM2.jpg

if i remember, both staples are pretty ugly on the inside and you can see the top staple's migration through the front cover. have another copy that's more like a 6.0 that i thought of sending in instead because i thought the rust was going to get hit hard, but i decided to go with book that looked better even if it was a rustbucket.