• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st of a genre
1 1

26 posts in this topic

I wouldn't mind knowing what folks consider the 1st of a genre is. And if there is debate, all the better.

1st Comic:Famous Funnies 1 (?) 1933

1st Superhero: Action 1 1938

1st female lead character?: Wonder Woman in All Star 8?

1st Horror: Eerie 1 (?) 1947

1st Western: Crackajack Funnies #9 (?) 1939 - 1st cover and app of Red Ryder? or is it Hi Yo Silver w Lone Ranger? or something else.

1st Sci Fi: Strange Adventures 1? I doubt it, isn't one of the LB Cole classics earlier than 1950?

1st Cheesecake? (what's the first real headlights, or female suggestive cover? Phantom Lady? Junior?, a Fiction House?)

1st Romance: Venus 1 (?)

1st or earliest classic gruesome cover? Bullet hole in the head, acid to face etc.

And any other of the major categories that folks collect.

1st Paratrooper cover: Action 2?

A couple others that aren't as collected as they once were.

1st photo cover:

1st TV comic:

1st Funny Animal cover/story: Is it still Famous Funnies 1.

1st WWII cover? - this might be tough to nail down

1st Hitler cover?

Here's a few other oddballs that might be fun to search for.

1st Motorcycle cover

1st Statue of Liberty cover

1st cover with a television on it

1st cover with Vampire (or Dracula), Werewolf, Mummy, Frankenstein (Classics?) Zombie, Alien

I wouldn't mind knowing what folks consider the 1st of a genre is. And if there is debate, all the better.

1st Western: Crackajack Funnies #9 (?) 1939 - 1st cover and app of Red Ryder? or is it Hi Yo Silver w Lone Ranger? or something else.

I am sure that others could probably come up with earlier appearances, but for the above, I would say:

1) Funnies on Parade from 1933 for the comic book;

2) Shenna in Jumbo #1 from 1938 for the first female lead; and

3) Western Picture Stories #1 or Star Ranger #1 from February of 1937 for the first Western book.

Any ideas as to the first hero book as opposed to first super-hero book? Would it be Dr. Occult in New Fun #6 from 1935?

1st Superhero: Action 1 1938

1st Horror: Eerie 1 (?) 1947

1st Sci Fi: Strange Adventures 1? I doubt it, isn't one of the LB Cole classics earlier than 1950?

1st Cheesecake? (what's the first real headlights, or female suggestive cover? Phantom Lady? Junior?, a Fiction House?)

1st Romance: Venus 1 (?)

1st or earliest classic gruesome cover? Bullet hole in the head, acid to face etc.

And any other of the major categories that folks collect.

1st Paratrooper cover: Action 2?

A couple others that aren't as collected as they once were.

1st photo cover:

1st TV comic:

1st Funny Animal cover/story: Is it still Famous Funnies 1.

1st WWII cover? - this might be tough to nail down

1st Hitler cover?

Here's a few other oddballs that might be fun to search for.

1st Motorcycle cover

1st Statue of Liberty cover

1st cover with a television on it

1st cover with Vampire (or Dracula), Werewolf, Mummy, Frankenstein (Classics?) Zombie, Alien

Nope, earliest comic paratrooper I've found was in Famous Funnies Series 1 #1 (1934)

Timely publisher Martin Goodman produced a Hitler cover before Captain America Comics #1 with his Pulp publishing line: Dynamic Science Stories (Feb, 1939 issue). I believe the consensus was it was the first Hitler pulp cover.

It'd a Pulp, i know, but it's a cool tidbit that both first Hitler covers (Pulp and Comic) both came from a Martin Goodman publishing arm, and only two years apart.

DSS (2/39) seems vastly undervalued in this regard. 

4 hours ago, Electricmastro said:

Star Ranger #1 (February, 1937) seems to have been the first dedicated Western comic book.

I believe the Star Rangers 1 is actually tied with this book here as the first dedicated Western comic book as they both came out way back in February 1937:

wes5.5a.jpg

Edited by lou_fine

22 hours ago, sagii said:

Timely publisher Martin Goodman produced a Hitler cover before Captain America Comics #1 with his Pulp publishing line: Dynamic Science Stories (Feb, 1939 issue). I believe the consensus was it was the first Hitler pulp cover.

It'd a Pulp, i know, but it's a cool tidbit that both first Hitler covers (Pulp and Comic) both came from a Martin Goodman publishing arm, and only two years apart.

DSS (2/39) seems vastly undervalued in this regard. 

The April issue was the Hitler cover. February was an outer space cover. VERY cool to know that this is the first Hitler cover. Here are both

61C21B66-B7FF-404E-B11E-5C9749163FBB.jpeg

25F69376-FB39-4BC8-A3C0-D933FE1CB89C.jpeg