• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official "Prometheus" Thread

1,637 posts in this topic

Ok, I'm a little confused on Prometheus. Interviews and statements online from the writer and Ridley Scott say that this is not an Alien prequel, but takes place in the same Alien-based universe. Lots of people are freaking out over it being an Alien prequel (I mean, there's a whole website dedicated to this specific movie being an 'Alien' movie), so which is it? From what I can see, there's not much Alien anything in the trailers, descriptions or synopsis...

I wonder if this will ignore Cameron's Queen Alien?

The original movie had those deleted scenes of Dallas and Brett being found by Ripley while being transformed into eggs.

I also remember seing an old Giger drawing showing this transformation.

I hope not, because the queen is such an important of the mythos as know and love it.

Sorry, never liked the Queen.

Turned the whole concept into 'a bug hunt'. It really took some intelligence away from the Aliens in making them basically worker ants/bees with a hive mentality.

Bringing back what looks like a bio-weapon (not saying that it is!) makes much more sense.

The aliens can still be 'bugs' as you put it, while still being the focus of bio-weapon research and development, which is exactly what they were in ALIENS. Joe Bloe was sent to the terra-forming colony to bring back the bugs so they could be used by the bio-weapon division. Even the comic books and novels focused on the Queen, but if I recall correctly, certain humans revered the queen as some sort of divine or spiritual entity.

I meant the Aliens 'original' purpose, not why the company wants them.

The feeling I get looking at the trailer, and it's only a feeling mind you, is that Ridley Scott looks to be going down that path.

I remember discussing this years ago on the old Aliens newsgroup. There was never really a consensus of what the Alien was created for.

My guess would be the Space Jockeys created them as bio-weapons hm

Ah, well that is nothing more than pure conjecture and cannot be counted upon as canonical fact, albeit solid speculation. Whether they created the aliens or not, it is clear that they were victimized by the aliens. I'm thinking that the antagonist of PROMETHEUS, whether it be the space jockey race or another intelligent race, has been dabbling with evolutionary progress across the galaxy, much like the CELESTIALS from MARVEL, which would be the analogy with PROMETHEUS giving mortals the gift of fire. Fire allowed us to evolve much faster tech-wise, but playing with fire results in us (and them) getting burnt by it...

And the aliens do not need to have been created by this race in order for them to have used the aliens as bio-weapons, if that is the case, which I doubt. Bio-weapons, and weapons in general, is a much more human goal or interest, than that of an advanced race. It's a also a rather dull premise for a sci-fi movie for this race to have used the aliens as bio-weapons IMHO. I'm hoping that the aliens are just some sort of tool used to modify evolution, or simply used to eradicate indigenous species so that they can conduct their experiments. And if the eradication theory is correct, then it only makes them bio-weapons if they were created or modified by the antagonists.

I also have a hunch that they're going to play on a divine angle too, whether it be the aliens and/or the antagonists, because it's clear that the ruins in the movie were places of worship. I hope they play off of the MAYAN/AZTEC myths and legends. Heck, perhaps the aliens were offered as gifts to the antagonist race on one planet... Those cylinders look like they are laid out in some sort of ceremonious fashion in front of the face idol. It's clear that it's somehow related to the layout of the alien egg sacks.....

It's fun to speculate about this!

Good point hm

Found this on another web site ( yes I look at other sites) and thought it

may add a little to this discussion. And before you look remember,

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2012/03/20/wondercon-scott-lindelof-and-fassbender-discuss-prometheus/

Very interesting hm

I think these guys are spot on.

There is no doubt that this is a Prequel. Any discussion to the contrary is just semantics and brilliant marketing. Remember how the first trailer was "leaked" and then quickly removed? This is all part of a grand scheme to get a buzz going, and so far they have been 100% successful. There will be a feeding frenzy at the opening. In the end, they will still have to deliver the goods, and I trust Ridley Scott completely to accomplish that task and dazzle the hell out of us.

I think these guys are spot on.

There is no doubt that this is a Prequel. Any discussion to the contrary is just semantics and brilliant marketing. Remember how the first trailer was "leaked" and then quickly removed? This is all part of a grand scheme to get a buzz going, and so far they have been 100% successful. There will be a feeding frenzy at the opening. In the end, they will still have to deliver the goods, and I trust Ridley Scott completely to accomplish that task and dazzle the hell out of us.

I agree.

Ok, I'm a little confused on Prometheus. Interviews and statements online from the writer and Ridley Scott say that this is not an Alien prequel, but takes place in the same Alien-based universe. Lots of people are freaking out over it being an Alien prequel (I mean, there's a whole website dedicated to this specific movie being an 'Alien' movie), so which is it? From what I can see, there's not much Alien anything in the trailers, descriptions or synopsis...
It's not going to be an ALIEN prequel in the sense that you won't see 'aliens' all over the place, although it is definitely set in the same mythos.

In the end, it's just brilliant marketing that is creating quite a buzz.

Here's a interesting article:

IGN

I read earlier that Scott was considering two releases with different ratings. He seems to have backed away from that.

I think they should release the PG-13 in theaters,and have them release the R in Blu-Ray.

A R-rating would hurt the movie financially.