• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official "Prometheus" Thread

1,637 posts in this topic

hm What if what we are seeing here is the DNA, or evolution of the creature.

All life must start from something, perhaps this is that start. The shape is less

defined, it has not yet adapted, refined itself, not yet established within its

environment. What we are seeing are the first manifestations of the Alien.

It is familiar, but truly Alien as we have come to know it.

This is obviously an Alien prequel.

From what I know of the Alien biology they take on the characteristics of the host. This is why we see the dog like alien on the prison world or the Predator/Alien hybrid. Who knows what form the species originally took?

I cant wait to see this.

All life must start from something, perhaps this is that start. The shape is less

I'm inclined to agree, a precursor of sorts... Damn Weyland Yutani, always seeming to focus on bringing something back for monetary gain, or bio-warfare. A quote from the trailer makes me think this is the case "Big things come from small beginnings".

I'm inclined to agree, a precursor of sorts... Damn Weyland Yutani, always seeming to focus on bringing something back for monetary gain, or bio-warfare. A quote from the trailer makes me think this is the case "Big things come from small beginnings".

Think of it as the Chicken + Egg scenario. There were hundreds of eggs in the cavern of the original ship, right? Where did those eggs come from? Clearly, an alien "queen" laid them. Where did the queen come from? I think you might get an answer in this movie. The scene with Dr Shaw in the surgical bed exclaiming "get/cut it out of me" might be an answer, though Vickers is a possible candidate too.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think Vickers is "not quite right" in the trailers. (I'm wrapping my rather lengthy speculation in spoiler tags, though I doubt its anything close to what takes place in the movie. Please don't read it if you would rather not have any preconceived notions (even if they are 100% wrong) about the movie before you go and see it.)

So, is Vickers a human, an android, or something else entirely? The character seems awfully stiff in the limited glimpses we get, and Charlize Theron hinted that Vickers is hiding a big secret.

That secret could be one of several things: One, she isn't human, or isn't quite human, perhaps a sidestep in Weyland industries robot arm into human genetic manipulation. Or the secret can be that she is harboring Peter Weyland himself onboard the ship (there is supposedly a glimpse of an aged man, one of Weyland's advanced age at the time the movie takes place, in one of the quick-cut action sequences of the movie. Guy Pierce originally stated his character's role in the film is limited, a minute or two, which would explain Weyland's holographic projection in the film's early sequences. However, he later stated that filming was rigorous, perhaps referencing some sort of action scene, which seems to be in contrast to the his earlier comments.)

Which brings us back to a bigger question in the movie....who are the Space Jockeys? Are they a Progenitor race of E.T.s, or a creation thereof? Well, I keep thinking back to the introduction of Trailer 2, where a cloud-like UFO is hovering above a massive waterfall (like one on earth). Then the scene cuts away to a man. possibly a primitive man, having some sort of black substance course through his veins. To me, the suggestion is that some alien race was genetically manipulating early humans, and if the "pictogram" they speak of in the trailers is really evidence of ancient humans having knowledge of this race and its origins, that might mean the pictogram/star map is not so much an invitation from the alien race, but an invitation by ancient humans for others to "follow" where they went.

Perhaps the Space Jockeys were in fact genetically modified ancient humans who never made it back to earth, for reasons we can only guess (the likely one being that they destroyed themselves, possibly with their own technology). But its clear in clips of the trailer, especially with the "retracting ribs" and the "helmet" of the space jockey, that its some sort of exo-skeletal suit, bio-mechanical and at least partially organic in nature. That would jive (no pun intended) with the images we see of the "pilot in black" in two quick clips during the second trailer...he appears to be some kind of modified humanoid that assumes the full guise of the space jockey after sitting in the navigational chair. Which character this pilot is from the crew, we can only guess.

Riddley Scott mentioned in an interview that the crew of the Prometheus found, and I'm paraphrasing here, an ancient civilization were they were doing some uncivilized things. That might well indicate they died at each other's hands, or that they had created some sort of bio weaponry (proto-alien) that was responsible for their own demise. Perhaps the fact that there are "seed" ships (and there do appear to be multiple horseshoe shape ships from watching the trailers) that are considered so dangerous by the crew of the Prometheus, that they feel compelled to go on a suicide run and ram at least one of them might indicate that the death of the space jockey race might've been in part a murder/suicide. Perhaps one side had clear designs on returning to earth and possibly infesting the population with whatever bio-material causes crew members to undergo rapid mutations in the movie (into Space Jockeys?), while the other side attempted to stave off this fate by creating something horrid that destroyed them all. This leads me back to my questions about Vickers...what if she is some sort of genetically engineered human, who ultimately becomes not only the Space Jockey that leads a second seed ship off planet (I believe the planet they are investigating in Prometheus, as well as the planet in Alien, have two seperate numerical designations, possibly suggesting at least one ship did begin its voyage to Earth). However, the "proto-alien" that destroyed the space jockey race mutates because of her genetic make-up and becomes the alien queen that eventually lays all the eggs the crew of the Nostromo found in Alien.

He also said that if he were to do a sequel to Prometheus, it would veer off even farther from the Alien mythology to explore its own more fully. Since the trailers seem to indicate a direct tie in to the Alien movie, its very likely the sequel would focus on the ancient human/space jockey/progenitor race theories even more.

Anyway, I think that's enough energy expended on theories and idle speculation. As much as I'm looking forward to the Avengers and the Dark Knight Rises, Prometheus is # 1 on my list of must-see movies this summer.

I haven't followed much on Prometheus until reading through this thread but I am really, Really, REALLY, looking forward to seeing this :headbang:

I haven't followed much on Prometheus until reading through this thread but I am really, Really, REALLY, looking forward to seeing this :headbang:
If you're a fan of the Alien movies (like me :grin: ) you should be excited to see it :whee:

If you're a fan of the Alien movies (like me :grin: ) you should be excited to see it :whee:

For sure! I love the prequel setup with this flick. I need to spend waaay more time on the internet at work and find this stuff sooner than later :D