• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bound Amazing Spider-Man # 1-100

25 posts in this topic

I doubt they would get Green labels. Not only do they have the stitching holes to contend with, they have been trimmed to fit the binding. I never got this. I have never seen a set of bound comics that have not been trimmed - as if a binding that would allow the full book didn't exist? Or the bookbinders conspired against "funny book" collectors and forced a "trim to fit" size as veangence for our illiterate ways! frown.gif

I doubt they would get Green labels. Not only do they have the stitching holes to contend with, they have been trimmed to fit the binding. I never got this. I have never seen a set of bound comics that have not been trimmed - as if a binding that would allow the full book didn't exist? Or the bookbinders conspired against "funny book" collectors and forced a "trim to fit" size as veangence for our illiterate ways! frown.gif
There was a bound set of Conans that weren't trimmed in an old Sotheby's/Christie's catalog back in the day! tonofbricks.gif

There was a bound set of Conans that weren't trimmed in an old Sotheby's/Christie's catalog back in the day! tonofbricks.gif

Good to know Greggy! That is, at least in my experience, the exception and so way so not the rule! (PS - did I get my books yet?)

Tis a great collection indeed...but will he actually get $30,000 for it?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I saw that set in San Diego in 1993. The seller wanted $25,000 for it. Apparently it hasn't appreciated much in value since then.

I mistakenly believed that the single volume that was on ebay recently was the one that I had seen in San Diego. That was not it. This auction is for the set that I saw.

No, I am not the collector who tore the page in the ASM#21. I got to view Volume 1 when I asked. 27_laughing.gif

Maybe they'll list the spines on eBay next week? devil.gif

It's actually kind of a cool set, IMO, but no way is it worth 30k. I wonder if this is the same seller from 11 years ago when FFB was shown it, or if it has changed hands a few times since. Any idea, FFB? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Wow. Really lazy on my part to miss the trim. makepoint.gif

I don't like the way it is bound. Too much of the left side of # 1, and all the issues, are not visible. It is worthless in my opinion if you can't take it apart without totally detroying them.

He does make one good point...if you did not know the Spiderman comic and heard there was a movie coming out about a kid bitten by a spider who gets super powers, you would think B-movie, right!? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe they'll list the spines on eBay next week? devil.gif

It's actually kind of a cool set, IMO, but no way is it worth 30k. I wonder if this is the same seller from 11 years ago when FFB was shown it, or if it has changed hands a few times since. Any idea, FFB? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I couldn't say whether it was the same seller or not. I wouldn't be surprised though, as I am sure no one would have paid $25,000 for that set at the time, or since then and he seemed pretty firm on the price back in 1993.

This set has been listed several times on ebay over the last two years(I believe by the same seller)

It is a shame that such nice copies were bound, but on the other hand I doubt that they would be anywhere near the shape they are in if they were not bounded.

I think he'd be lucky to get half what he's asking. foreheadslap.gif

You're right because if somebody wanted volumes like these you can just buy the Marvel Masterworks editions! foreheadslap.gif

I shoulda had a V8.. foreheadslap.gif

I think only Geppi is the buyer for this ...since he has that library filled with all sorts of bound publishers volumes. I think its silly to take comic s and do this to them, stitched or glued together and trimmed all around. Its "cool", but they are no longer "comics" any more. And no way should any kind of Overstreet value be used to determine the value of a bound book of (former) comics..

...and these copies sure looked sweet!.... 893frustrated.gif