• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some CGC 9.4 books up on ebay.....

38 posts in this topic

I can't deny that I wasn't expecting these questions, and at the same time, despite the fact that I don't want to put down a book I'm selling, I can't blame you either.

The book was purchased from an English collector with whom I've developed a friendship over the years. I've bought many books off him, and trust him implicitly. The book was bought already slabbed (I myself have never sent any books off to CGG).

My friend basically sent most of his collection to be slabbed by CGC (via the Vault and Heritage). A handful of books were sent off to CGG, one or two of which I picked up myself. The reason for him sending the books to CGC's rival was because he was fed up with waiting for books to be processed by CGC and then have to wait for the moneys to arrive from the auction houses. He thought CGG would be quicker and more cost effective.

I have passed on a few of his CGG books, only to see them go for good money (i.e. multiples) with an auction house, so I thought I'd take a chance with this book. He'd had the book in his personal collection for a while, and his ability to detect restoration is exceptional (I've learned from him, over the years). I'm certain, having held the slab in my hands and discussing the item with him (all the while asking the same questions as you guys) that there's nothing wrong with the book.

This might be a good book to submit to CGC to see if they would grade it a 9.6, since CGG has a reputation for stricter grading on older books. Assuming there is no restoration.

So your friend bought this book off the stands, a dealer, ebay? And HE submitted it himself? I'd like to bid, I just want to make sure, if I win and resubmit it doesn't become part of the Oregon Pedigree...

Brian

So your friend bought this book off the stands, a dealer, ebay? And HE submitted it himself? I'd like to bid, I just want to make sure, if I win and resubmit it doesn't become part of the Oregon Pedigree...

Brian

I understand your concerns but I think you'll be okay. PM me with your email address and I'll send you super - large jpegs of the front and back covers to help you judge for yourself.

My friend bought the book a few years ago, and did indeed submit it himself. He isn't a dealer, though, but he has bought in the past with an eye to invest. He's also very sharp (and paranoid) when it comes to spotting resto.

I'm certain he's never been to Oregon, either.....

Goldust40,

Bid on FF#72 placed. I actually like buying those old labels from CGC because if they currently are not grading them as hard as they use to, I might end up with a 9.6 one day. Great classic Kirby cover and a must for any FF fan. I have an old label 9.4-Pacific Coast FF#73 and it looks as good as any 9.6 I have seen. thumbsup2.gif

The blacklight test isn't all that reliable. I have a book I know has color touch, I know where the CT is and I still can't see it with a black light confused-smiley-013.gif

Not *all* color touch shows up with a black light.