• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectors of baseball cards striking out

802 posts in this topic

The only sports card I ever kept.My 1954 Mantle.

scan0011-1.jpg

Great centering.

Anyhow, Upper Deck has lost it's MLB, NFL and NBA license a few years ago and now produce NHL and college cards. Awhile back, they were selling (still do) boxes containing 8 cards per pack, for $400.00 called "Exquisite Collection" Some of these cards are so rare, they are numbered 1/1, others are 1/10, 1/120, 1/99 ect... This is why a Derrick Rose Upper Deck Exquisite /99 Autographed rookie card sells for $3000.00 or why a Jeremy Lin Rookie from 2010 National Treasures sold for $21,000. Are Sport cards dead? No. It's just that no one cards about the "non chase cards" They are called "base cards" Michael Jordan cards still sell very well.

When i used to sell at the local swapmeet in the 90's I used to have a $1.00 box of "star" cards where kids used to buy from to get their favorite players, but in the 2000's it was a different story. The kids weren't looking for the cards, it was the adults looking for things to sell on eBay. It turned to be about money and not pleasure.

I used to listen to a talk radio station at work and one of the commentators made a good point in comparing rated "G/PG" movies and rated "R" movies. If rated "G/PG" movies brought in more money because you can bring the whole family as compared to the rate "R" movies, where it is restricted and only a select viewing audience, then why not go with what makes more money? These manufacturers are so short sighted in trying to make money that they eventually lose money because they lose their audience. Mass producing will eventually lose you money, but if your product is now a collectable people will be more interested in purchasing it. I buy comic books because I like the story and artwork not because it's mass produced of the hottest current thing.

scan0011-1.jpg

Great centering.

Anyhow, Upper Deck has lost it's MLB, NFL and NBA license a few years ago and now produce NHL and college cards. Awhile back, they were selling (still do) boxes containing 8 cards per pack, for $400.00 called "Exquisite Collection" Some of these cards are so rare, they are numbered 1/1, others are 1/10, 1/120, 1/99 ect... This is why a Derrick Rose Upper Deck Exquisite /99 Autographed rookie card sells for $3000.00 or why a Jeremy Lin Rookie from 2010 National Treasures sold for $21,000. Are Sport cards dead? No. It's just that no one cards about the "non chase cards" They are called "base cards" Michael Jordan cards still sell very well.

Agreed. Jordan cards still sell very well. As does Mantle. Someone just came into my warehouse and sold me a 56 Mantle. Picked up some 49 Bowman (Berra, Robinson, etc.) cards as well. Those are pretty beat up, but i could never have owned them 20 years ago. Baseball cards and putting together sets are theraputic for me. Brings me back to my childhood.

scan0011-1.jpg

that's a good one to keep. i still have my feller and maris rookies
i know the feller 48 was considered the rookie for awhile(i have that one) but i think there is some play ball's (late 30's early 40's) i dont have. the maris is a 1958 topps with maris on the indians. 3 of the toughest cards to find for my indians team set's were,the 1962 mcdowell hi number,67 hi # colovito and 63 fleer j. adcock in ex or better

scan0011-1.jpg

that's a good one to keep. i still have my feller and maris rookies
i know the feller 48 was considered the rookie for awhile(i have that one) but i think there is some play ball's (late 30's early 40's) i dont have. the maris is a 1958 topps with maris on the indians. 3 of the toughest cards to find for my indians team set's were,the 1962 mcdowell hi number,67 hi # colovito and 63 fleer j. adcock in ex or better

Right 58 Topps for Maris. (thumbs u

Here's my 1954 Ted Williams card.

Back in the day someone obviously decided that this card belonged in their 1949 Bowman set and made the appropriate size adjustment.

On the plus side, I only paid $15 for it.

54BTed.jpg

Back in the day someone obviously decided that this card belonged in their 1949 Bowman set and made the appropriate size adjustment.

54BTed.jpg

:eek: Damn!

Haven't read the entire thread. But a study that should be done alongside the one on age-of-collectors demographics is one asking how long a person has been collecting in the hobby regardless of age. That would seem to be a more telling indicator of how healthy the industry is. Bonus would be to find out what exactly prompted collectors, old and new, to jump into this hobby. Was it the hype over a certain issue (a la Superman's death in the early 90s), or perhaps The Dark Knight movie, or simply a friend gave them a tpb to read and they've been hooked since?

54BTed.jpg

is that number #66? i am sure i had a jimmy piersall #66 from that year and it was withdrawn and replaced by the williams card

According to something I saw on the History channel. As years go by there will be less and less kids that will be able to read comics in the USA. Reading english to be specific. As more and more other languages will become the norm. The english language will become just a sidebar.

That is how I believe hobbies will die.

Kids in the furture won't be reading comics because the books won't be in the lauguage they speak. Sure there are comics in other languages but the english versions just won't be desireable to them. You can change a DVD or game to a different language. You can't do that with a comic. Same goes for cards.

Maybe this won't happen if things change. Its just another scenario. Who can perdict the furture anyway.

They had Fleer in 1963? All I remember is Topps. hm
topps sued them and the 63 was a one-shot untill donruss and fleer won a decision in 1980 to compete in 1981

WOW! I think I remember,man it's been a long time since I talked sports cards. doh!