• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Bad Do I Want An FF #60 Newsstand Variant?

63 posts in this topic

Did they ever make it to Comic stores?

Got a date they came out?

I think i saw these in my LCS frown.gif

The newsstand variants were ONLY distributed to "returnable" outlets (Borders, Books-a-Million, Barnes & Noble, places like that). They were NOT distributed to comic stores, so they may not have made it to England. The newsstand issue would have come out probably three weeks after the direct sale version. Again, here's a Daredevil 41 newsstand. The FF 60 would look similar to this:

daredevil41.jpg

They were NOT distributed to comic stores, so they may not have made it to England.

They would have been distributed to US bases there. Lakenheath, Mildenhall, Alconbury, and other smaller bases have book stores but they would've only been accessable to military members. It possible a few may have entered the English comics back issue inventory if those members sold their collections while still in country.....

Jim

I've seen it too, like at a Borders or something.

Ok, it is not looking good on the England front because a dealer i sent an email to about it had this to say,

'They didn't do a $2.25 one. They were all 9c and contains the entire story.

It was the first Mark Waid issue and it was cheap so they could start people

off.'

confused.gif

Here is a Fantastic Four #60 Baltimore Show edition without the nine cent circle.

FF #60 Baltimore

That is another edition - it was given out the Sunday before the 2002 Baltimore Comicon as an insert into the Baltimore Sun (late October, 2002). Print run on it was approximately 200,000, but MANY of them were destroyed.

Ok, it is not looking good on the England front because a dealer i sent an email to about it had this to say,

'They didn't do a $2.25 one. They were all 9c and contains the entire story.

It was the first Mark Waid issue and it was cheap so they could start people

off.'

confused.gif

He's wrong. I confirmed the existence of the $2.25 version with two Marvel editors and posted the emails here.

The newsstand variants were ONLY distributed to "returnable" outlets (Borders, Books-a-Million, Barnes & Noble, places like that). They were NOT distributed to comic stores, so they may not have made it to England. The newsstand issue would have come out probably three weeks after the direct sale version.

Actually this is not 100% true...

There are a lot of comic shops that supplement their Marvel orders by ordering from Ingram Periodicals (the largest newsstand comic distributor in the US). Any of those shops would have received the $2.25 edition as well. I was an Ingram customer for several months in 2001, but wasn't at the time of the FF 60.

So there may very well be shops that failed to get their returns in on time and got stuck with extra copies of the $2.25 version. Unfortunately, sales of FF are very low and Ingram determines how many copies they ship (you don't order 20 copies of a book, they decide how many you get) so they probably didn't ship more than a few to each account.

It still doesn't mean you are likely to find them in your local shop, but there are some domestic comic shops who got them.

The newsstand variants were ONLY distributed to "returnable" outlets (Borders, Books-a-Million, Barnes & Noble, places like that). They were NOT distributed to comic stores, so they may not have made it to England. The newsstand issue would have come out probably three weeks after the direct sale version.

There are a lot of comic shops that supplement their Marvel orders by ordering from Ingram Periodicals (the largest newsstand comic distributor in the US). Any of those shops would have received the $2.25 edition as well. I was an Ingram customer for several months in 2001, but wasn't at the time of the FF 60.

So there may very well be shops that failed to get their returns in on time and got stuck with extra copies of the $2.25 version. Unfortunately, sales of FF are very low and Ingram determines how many copies they ship (you don't order 20 copies of a book, they decide how many you get) so they probably didn't ship more than a few to each account.

It still doesn't mean you are likely to find them in your local shop, but there are some domestic comic shops who got them.

soooo....why couldn't someone contact Ingram do determine if they still have copies of this issue?

soooo....why couldn't someone contact Ingram do determine if they still have copies of this issue?

Ingram doesn't get copies back... they get stripped covers... and they don't keep any inventory. Stuff comes in and it goes right out.

But a query of comic shops that have Ingram accounts might turn up a shop that would have one... especially if they knew it was worthwhile to look.

But a query of comic shops that have Ingram accounts might turn up a shop that would have one... especially if they knew it was worthwhile to look.

How does one go about finding out which stores have accounts? confused.gif

Jim

Jim

There are a variety of message boards that retailers hang out on... Rather than starting with the fact that you are looking for the FF 60, I would start by finding out who gets stuff from Ingram... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

There are a variety of message boards that retailers hang out on... Rather than starting with the fact that you are looking for the FF 60, I would start by finding out who gets stuff from Ingram... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Send my Gerber yet? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I will trade anyone this issue for a genuine Fantastic Four Vol #3 #60 $2.25 Newsstand edition.

Jim

Your plan must be working, at least on a subconscious level - last night I had a dream that I gave an amazed LCS dealer $10 for the newsstand FF #60, while thinking to myself: "Hee hee hee! Giant-Size X-Men # 1, here I come!"