• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me out here is this really a X-men 94 9.8?

106 posts in this topic

I'm looking to purchase one and saw this one is on E-bay. I couldn't blow this up but closely around Count Nefaria's word bubble and to the right of his head.

Are those several stress marks? CGC 9.8 really?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-men-94-CGC-9-8-OWW-1st-app-New-X-men-in-title-Highest-Graded-/280836229196?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item416324c84c

I'm looking to purchase one and saw this one is on E-bay. I couldn't blow this up but closely around Count Nefaria's word bubble and to the right of his head.

Are those several stress marks? CGC 9.8 really?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-men-94-CGC-9-8-OWW-1st-app-New-X-men-in-title-Highest-Graded-/280836229196?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item416324c84c

You are allowed defects in CGC 9.8 from what I know about their grading standards. They just need to be small. If there were no defects, it wouldn't be a 9.8, it would be a 10.0.

Those are small spine ticks. The rest of the book is sharp and flawless from what I remember.

There is some scanner artifact as well (looks like the scanner was dirty) but yes, it's a CGC 9.8.

It says so on the label.

:D

Yes I know it says it on label, I did state the grade in the subject title.

Thanks for confirming those are spine ticks. I just didn't think CGC would allow that many stress marks and give a 9.8 grading is all.

Good for Roy who is the owner of the book though. Other than that the front cover of the book does look flawless.

But to tell you the truth I'd be doubly surprised this book got a 9.8 grade if there is even one defect on the back cover, but its not scanned to be viewed.

I see exactly what you are talking about next to the word bubble. I don't think they are color breaking lines, they appear to me more of ink missing and there seems to be a lot of ink problems on the cover. I only see one tiny stress line on the spine next to Storms head. I would also like to know what that line through Collosus' leg is on the book or on the CGC case??

I don't see these flaws on numerous other copies I pulled up.

I would not have that in my collection as a 9.8.

Finally someone on board and seeing what I'm talking about. I was just looking at it again and just see too many defects on the cover for this book.

Under the word death there is another defect unless that's the case but it doesn't appear to be.

Right over the X-men's Blackbird craft appears to be a smudge mark of some kind.

And the the right of Wolverine's face appears to be another defect similar to the one Robtothec pointed out next to Storm's head.

I hate to come off as harsh but there is no way I can see this book being a 9.8....

To Vintage Comics, is there a 9.9 issue out there for this book? 9.8 is considered NM+ and the book should be downright flawless without this many defects in question.

I see what your talking about by the word grade. I can give a benefit of a doubt to a few things but the tick marks and the light smudge over the Blackbird craft looks highly suspect to me.

And we haven't even seen the back cover.

What's not suspect are the intangibles, like Roys reputation here on the boards.Unless you have this book in your hands,it's a 9.8 The smudge to the right of the plane can also be a smudge on the slab.Why don't you buy it and find out for yourself. (shrug)