• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me out here is this really a X-men 94 9.8?

106 posts in this topic

Hmmm seems I ruffled a few feathers here in the rooster barn house did I?

A couple of posters has admittedly stated that my post has annoyed them?

Well now that I'm the BAD guy who's put Roy's reputation on-the-line because I don't step in-line with the other little chicklettes by agreeing to the posted scan of the book is fine with me.

Clearly books that are professionally graded into a category are not equal? Does anyone dispute my assertion? I'm sure the majority of you who buy high graded books (for your personal collection) desire the ones that present the best look overall. Which is why I like to purchase my books based on eye appeal and not strictly grade, but to each his own. It's not my final determining factor, price comes into play of course, but why purchase a weak 9.6' when I can get a mid-level or even better, a strong 9.6?

Roy I really would have appreciated a professional response to the other poster's question about the line on the cover. It would have been helpful in promoting the sale of the book.

To Joey post, good to see you! But about the tick production flaw that you state is usual for X-men 94, I disagree. I've seen a fair amount of high grade issues out there that don't have that particular flaw on the cover.

To Peter's issue, I'd really like to use the magnifying glass option that E-bay provides to inspect the cover before I could give you my honest opinion. Just guessing, I'd say 9.2-9.4. That is a sweet book!

Again and hopefully for the FINAL time, I stated Roy's X-men 94 has been CGC graded as a 9.8 but based on his current scan on E-bay it is questionable to me.

I don't know how long his book has been up there for sale but that scan cannot be helping his cause.

I gave a great hint, my last words, "Note the PQ."

The point was still, that the grade is supposed to be an overall condition of the book. Others have wisely pointed out that a picture shows very little of the overall book.

That X-Men 94 clearly by the 9.8 grading is a nearly perfect book, with the only things bringing it down being the tiny cover flaws. Sure there are going to be books that look perfect in the picture, but they often have hidden defects.

The picture is not everything. The grade in the picture can be more important than the appearance of the cover.

You should obscure the cert # too :gossip:

I didn't think anyone would check that. it's in the 4th session of last weeks auction.

ASM60CGC80OWWCLinkauction032912.jpg

This sold for $67, I'd love to have it except for the tanning of the interior covers.

I'm bothered much more about CGC's vague PQ standards than the slight differences between books of the same grade. How is a book with tanning interior covers called OW/W, ever? The label should reflect that very poor paper quality.

Roy I really would have appreciated a professional response to the other poster's question about the line on the cover. It would have been helpful in promoting the sale of the book.

It was an honest question about something showing up on the scan and to receive an answer like that seems pretty pathetic. Kind of lowers any respect I would have had for a high grade collector like Roy. What warranted a response like that? REALLY?

How did you know about the interior tanning?

That is huge and you're right, it is not reflected anywhere on the label.

And without grading notes, it becomes a big guessing game to the potential buyer...

hm

It was an honest question about something showing up on the scan and to receive an answer like that seems pretty pathetic. Kind of lowers any respect I would have had for a high grade collector like Roy. What warranted a response like that? REALLY?

It was a joke.

Anybody that knows me or my 52,000 posts knows that I'm a class clown and generally easy to get along with. Sorry about trying to have a little fun.

:foryou:

As far as the mark you were asking about, I answered the way I did because I thought it was obvious that CGC would never grade a book a 9.8 with a scratch like that on the cover (and I think you know that since you've been around a while judging by your 1700 posts). Also, I wouldn't knowingly sell a misgraded book as a 9.8 with a scratch like that on the front cover.

As i have stated several times in this thread, there is some scanner artifact (ghost images) in the scan and I can't change that until I rescan the book. Since I am in out of town, that won't happen until sometime next week at the earliest.

I also can't tell you whether the scratch is on the slab or on the scanner bed until then.

:)

Looks 9.4/9.6 to me!

Which proves that you (or anyone else) can't judge a book's grade accurately from a scan.

;)

I'm bothered much more about CGC's vague PQ standards than the slight differences between books of the same grade. How is a book with tanning interior covers called OW/W, ever? The label should reflect that very poor paper quality.

There are many variables to take into account with the grading of a book.

Putting all of those variables into on numerical grade and a page quality notation is pretty much impossible.

I personally have no problem with the way CGC graded that book (interior cover quality not noted and the page quality being separate) but I understand where you're coming from. I personally don't put a lot of weight on paper quality designations though, so it hasn't ever been a big problem with me.

A couple of posters has admittedly stated that my post has annoyed them?

Well now that I'm the BAD guy who's put Roy's reputation on-the-line because I don't step in-line with the other little chicklettes by agreeing to the posted scan of the book is fine with me.

Clearly books that are professionally graded into a category are not equal? Does anyone dispute my assertion? I'm sure the majority of you who buy high graded books (for your personal collection) desire the ones that present the best look overall. Which is why I like to purchase my books based on eye appeal and not strictly grade, but to each his own. It's not my final determining factor, price comes into play of course, but why purchase a weak 9.6' when I can get a mid-level or even better, a strong 9.6?

To Joey post, good to see you! But about the tick production flaw that you state is usual for X-men 94, I disagree. I've seen a fair amount of high grade issues out there that don't have that particular flaw on the cover.

To Peter's issue, I'd really like to use the magnifying glass option that E-bay provides to inspect the cover before I could give you my honest opinion. Just guessing, I'd say 9.2-9.4. That is a sweet book!

Again and hopefully for the FINAL time, I stated Roy's X-men 94 has been CGC graded as a 9.8 but based on his current scan on E-bay it is questionable to me.

I don't know how long his book has been up there for sale but that scan cannot be helping his cause.

If you were indeed interested in helping the cause a personal email would have been nice.

:grin:

My honest opinion is that any buyer of a book like this would probably ignore the smudges (if they noticed them) and know that they were not on the book. I personally would, anyway because it's basically unrealistic to believe that CGC would grade a book as a 9.8 with a slew of defects on it.

As I have stated, I also wouldn't knowingly sell a misgraded book.

Anyhow, I think that pretty much has it covered.

The point was still, that the grade is supposed to be an overall condition of the book. Others have wisely pointed out that a picture shows very little of the overall book.

That X-Men 94 clearly by the 9.8 grading is a nearly perfect book, with the only things bringing it down being the tiny cover flaws. Sure there are going to be books that look perfect in the picture, but they often have hidden defects.

The picture is not everything. The grade in the picture can be more important than the appearance of the cover.

I agree..the grade gives you unbiased professional grading of where to start but it's not an absolute lock it always matches the grade.

I've seen some damn ugly 9.6's and 9.8's out there. The back covers may be perfect in those particular instances but the front covers hardly pass the eyeball test to match the grade IMHO..

I did miss the PQ hint you provided...sorry ready your post in haste as I was headed out the door. Tells me what I just stated though..CGC isn't perfect.

I agree..the grade gives you unbiased professional grading of where to start but it's not an absolute lock it always matches the grade.

I've seen some damn ugly 9.6's and 9.8's out there. The back covers may be perfect in those particular instances but the front covers hardly pass the eyeball test to match the grade IMHO..

I did miss the PQ hint you provided...sorry ready your post in haste as I was headed out the door. Tells me what I just stated though..CGC isn't perfect.

Damn dude,your still biotching about this book? Is your name Justin? Or are you just the biggest ball buster since JC. :roflmao:

Damn dude,your still biotching about this book? Is your name Justin? Or are you just the biggest ball buster since JC. :roflmao:

I am? Wow didn't realize it, thanks for pointing that out to me as I'm having a conversation with another poster about grading in general. Or is that too hard for you to comprehend?

:screwy:

Oak are you only good for trying to instigate a fight on here or what?

I am? Wow didn't realize it, thanks for pointing that out to me as I'm having a conversation with another poster about grading in general. Or is that too hard for you to comprehend?

You need to learn respect my friend,that's when you earn respect.Instigator? I think not. (tsk)

I have studied A LOT of X-Men 94 CGC scans over the last year. I actually think this comic often gets a slight bump in grade and have seen quite a few that are slabed as 9.0 that look more like an 8.0 to me.

I have about 300 CGC scans I have logged the defects of to try and get a better understanding of their grading. Of the 11 9.8 scans three of them have one color breaking spine crease. One of the three also happens to be an X-Men 94.

But I still have to read this entire thread. That is just my reaction to the first couple posts.

He's good at finishing them too.

He's good at finishing them too.

I see. Is it a self-esteem issue? None of my posts have been directed at him and here he comes again talking about me biotching? Say what? :screwy:

I have studied A LOT of X-Men 94 CGC scans over the last year. I actually think this comic often gets a slight bump in grade and have seen quite a few that are slabed as 9.0 that look more like an 8.0 to me.

I have about 300 CGC scans I have logged the defects of to try and get a better understanding of their grading. Of the 11 9.8 scans three of them have one color breaking spine crease. One of the three also happens to be an X-Men 94.

But I still have to read this entire thread. That is just my reaction to the first couple posts.

Appreciate your post. If you get the chance please take a look at the beginning of this thread and give us your humble opinion.