• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Solicitations - what fothcoming titles are you excited about?

38 posts in this topic

I'll be surprised if they are still publishing 3 years from now.

Then you haven't been paying attention! :baiting::)

It's a deadly serious operation. I've spoken with a couple of the execs and they are not kidding around. If they aren't publishing 3 years from now a number of people are going to have lost a ton of money.

That being said, the realist in me will be surprised, too. The dreamer in me will brazenly say "I told you so".

Then you haven't been paying attention! :baiting::)

It's a deadly serious operation. I've spoken with a couple of the execs and they are not kidding around. If they aren't publishing 3 years from now a number of people are going to have lost a ton of money.

That being said, the realist in me will be surprised, too. The dreamer in me will brazenly say "I told you so".

I think Valiant is going to be back with a bang. Harbinger looks great. The new take on Archer & Armstrong (plus Eternal Warrior) looks like its going to be cool. I was never an X-O guy so I don't have a reference for it, but I think we'll all be talking about Valiant this Summer whether we want to or not. I'm not going to invest heavily in any of the books, but I expect that all of the people who are sitting on stacks of old Valiant will push these books if for no other reason than to create a market for the back issues that many took a bath on.

I wish Valiant wasn't doing the talking cell phone variant cover. I think it will encourage people to buy more copies of the first issue than demand will justify and that people are going to be disappointed by it because a lot of people are expecting a talking cover not a cell phone link/app cover. Valiant's relaunch will live or die based upon the quality of the work like every comic. I've been impressed with what I've seen so far, but I enjoyed Valiant comics in the 90s and its a lot of nostalgia for me.

I wish Valiant wasn't doing the talking cell phone variant cover. I think it will encourage people to buy more copies of the first issue than demand will justify and that people are going to be disappointed by it because a lot of people are expecting a talking cover not a cell phone link/app cover.

I don't think anyone's buying 50 copies of a $3.99 independent book without knowing what the 1:50 variant is.

Greeting cards already "talk". I don't think anyone really wants to see a comic with that "technology".

They'd be pretty silly embedding a bad electronic voice into a comic that squawks when you open it.

I expect that all of the people who are sitting on stacks of old Valiant will push these books if for no other reason than to create a market for the back issues that many took a bath on.

There will never be a market for Valiant books that had print runs above 250,000...

regardless of how well the new Valiant books do or how much anyone pushes the old.

Those high print run books are the books people lost a lot of money on... that's a lot of 1993.

The 1993 Valiant high print run books will be valuable the day after people start

paying cover price for Adventures of Superman #500 in the white bag. :grin:

On the other hand, any Valiant book that sold for $50+ "back-in-the-day" still sells for at least $50 in a CGC 9.8 slab today.

Not many 1990s books ever sold for $50, nor are there many that sell for $50 twenty years later.

The Valiant back issue market is one of the most documented online in all of comics.

No one should be overpaying for any old Valiant book just because Valiant is back.

Anyone who doesn't do their homework on Valiant just isn't trying.

I expect them to be around a lot longer than that. They got capital and great characters that can be adapted to movies and videogames. They might start off slowly like Walking Dead did,but once the word gets out the skys the limit for these great characters! :cloud9:

I wish Valiant wasn't doing the talking cell phone variant cover. I think it will encourage people to buy more copies of the first issue than demand will justify and that people are going to be disappointed by it because a lot of people are expecting a talking cover not a cell phone link/app cover.

I don't think anyone's buying 50 copies of a $3.99 independent book without knowing what the 1:50 variant is.

Greeting cards already "talk". I don't think anyone really wants to see a comic with that "technology".

They'd be pretty silly embedding a bad electronic voice into a comic that squawks when you open it.

I expect that all of the people who are sitting on stacks of old Valiant will push these books if for no other reason than to create a market for the back issues that many took a bath on.

There will never be a market for Valiant books that had print runs above 250,000...

regardless of how well the new Valiant books do or how much anyone pushes the old.

Those high print run books are the books people lost a lot of money on... that's a lot of 1993.

The 1993 Valiant high print run books will be valuable the day after people start

paying cover price for Adventures of Superman #500 in the white bag. :grin:

On the other hand, any Valiant book that sold for $50+ "back-in-the-day" still sells for at least $50 in a CGC 9.8 slab today.

Not many 1990s books ever sold for $50, nor are there many that sell for $50 twenty years later.

The Valiant back issue market is one of the most documented online in all of comics.

No one should be overpaying for any old Valiant book just because Valiant is back.

Anyone who doesn't do their homework on Valiant just isn't trying.

I was hoping for a computerized cover that had audio when you entered a code or pressed a certain area ... I don't think anyone would imagine that a comic company would employ the talking halmark card tech. I agree with your analysis of the state of Valiant back issues, but what you said about Valiant back issues isn't contentious. Fact is, a lot of people have a ton of Valiant back issues that they would love to unload (keys and non-keys alike). Because of the financial investment from many in key issues I imagine that Valiant's new solicitations will receive attention that they wouldn't have otherwised received. I'm pumped about the new Harbinger, Bloodshot and Archer and Armstrong books. I'm not so excited about X-O, but I wasn't a big X-O fan to begin with. If Joe Quesada was drawing the book, I'd probably be counting down the days until it was released, but he's not and I'm not real excited about it. I'm certain I'll pick up a copy and give it a try, but I doubt that I'll buy a stack of X-O books.

I expect them to be around a lot longer than that. They got capital and great characters that can be adapted to movies and videogames. They might start off slowly like Walking Dead did,but once the word gets out the skys the limit for these great characters! :cloud9:

That is my hope as well. A slow start is very likely going to happen because of the nature and current state of the industry. As long as their stuff is quality, they will have a chance. I don't think they are going to pack it in after four months of low sales. They likely know they need to let things go for a while and probably have the means to do it.

Everything they've shown so far, including the talent, has been much better than I could've ever hoped for. Warren Simons may be on the verge of striking lightning for Valiant again. IMO, he is probably the perfect guy to be one of the main architects of the company.

I think Alabaster Wolves will be a smash hit. I'm not real excited about the Massive but that's just because I'm afraid that it's going to be too focused on vegan social ecology. I'm definitely going to pick it up, but I wish there was more information about the book in the solicitation in Previews. Does anyone know anything more about the title?

Zenescope "Irresitible" has great cover artwork. I enjoyed "Fly", so hope this is a similar strong non-fairy tale book.

There's one cover on fly that made me want to start collecting that title. The first time I saw the cover it was on my cell phone & I literally fumbled on dropped my phone. lol

I'm looking forward to the following forthcoming Image books:

Walking Dead (Something to Fear, the 1st appearance of Daryl Dixon and #100)

Mind the Gap

Epic Kill

Dancer

Debris

Revival and

Secret Agent Poyo

I'm also anxious for these Boom titles: Higher Earth, Superbia (ongoing), Hypernaturals,

I've got my breath held and my fingers crossed that Valiant is going to ring the bell, but I'm not heavily invested. I loved Harbinger, Bloodshot and Archer and Armstrong, among other Valiant titles. I was never a big X-O fan, but I'll certianly be picking up the 1st issue. I was shocked that it's presold almost 50,000 copies of issue 1 which is roughly the number of books it sold the first time around in a much better market. Looks like Valiant fans are going to support these books in big numbers. Only time will tell, but I wish Valiant would spend more money on the books themselves and less money advertising the books that they are bringing to market.

Anyway, I would really like to see this thread get more action. If you have any opinions you wish to share, I would certainly appreciate reading them.