• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi from Jay Parrino

66 posts in this topic

Some of you know me but many do not. I have been a dealer in coins for over forty years at the highest level.

When professional certification entered our hobby back in 1986, I was immediately impressed. As a matter of fact, I eventually found that having all of my coins certified (professionally graded) was the best way of doing business, as it protected both the buyer and seller and made a very clean transaction. I especially liked the way it protected the buyer, guaranteeing that the grade would remain the same (as long as it was not cracked out). Supporting the buyer in any hobby is critical, as that is how a dealer makes a living, and professional certification was a powerful stride in that direction.

I became attracted to comic books based soley on CGC grading and encasement. As CGC is a branch of NGC, I was shown this new product back in 2000 and immedately saw the beauty and potential. I really liked the high impact full color covers and the size of comic books, and they looked just spectacular in these new cases. Just to be cautious though, before I spent my hard earned money, I decided to do some research on just how common or rare they really were in high grade. Were there 5000 copies of the 1940 Flash Comics #1 (for instance) in Near Mint or were there only ten? What about Superman, Batman, More Fun, Detective, or Adventure (to name just a few titles)? To many of you, this information is well known but to me and many potential customers, we really had no way of knowing. Ask me anything about valuble coins and I know as much as any other expert. Comic books? Where do I begin?! While trying to figure this out, I have spent the last three years tinkering in this hobby; learning bit by bit, buying based on gut instinct and on the advice (or rather bad advice) of others. It has been a wild roller coster ride into the unknown for me and I did not like not knowing the answers. Thankfully, it is all coming into perspective now and my interest, which was waining over this past year, is now tremendously peaked.

By the way, I have learned that there is only one copy of Flash Comics #1 in NM (actually a CGC graded 9.6). Can you imagine that! In this entire hobby, only one single NM copy. Now that is truly rare.

Look for some exciting news from me in the near future. I promise it will be BIG.

In the meantime, take a little while to look over my website, where you will find an array of superb NM comic books. Most are from the Golden age era and nearly every single issue is the the highest recorded CGC grade. Get ready for more!

Silverage? I was told to stay away from that section of the hobby but now see through my new comics partner (soon to be revealed), that I sould be more involved. To put it mildly, I intend to.

On my website you will also find some of the world's greatest coins, currency, movie posters, and photographs.

Hope to see you there!

Jay

Jay Parrino's The Mint Home page

I know I speak for many here that it is nice to have you on these boards. Your efforts in so far comics collecting are discussed often amongdt us, and I know I speak for many others that I hope you will visit often and comment...as wellas ask questions!!

FYI, the general consensus was that you were given less than stellar advice early on, so it was very interesting to read your first post alluding to that 'fact.'. I would add to your learning process that it is not solely "scarcity" that fuels value in Golden Age books. A very rare 9.6 of an obscure #1 issue will just not have buyers lining up for it.

as it is said - - -Welcome to the Boards!!

Welcome to the boards!! thumbsup2.gif

Concerning Silver Age, I see that the 9.6 Phantom Stranger #1 I sold you several years ago is still the highest graded copy, out of 40 submitted to date, so there are definitely scarce silver age books!

Hey Jay... hi.gif

By the way, I have learned that there is only one copy of Flash Comics #1 in NM (actually a CGC graded 9.6). Can you imagine that! In this entire hobby, only one single NM copy. Now that is truly rare.

Perhaps someone has yet to reveal a NM copy that has not been graded... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Welcome to the Boards.

One of the best way to make friends on this board is to offer books to us at a discounts. gossip.gif

Discount?

Didnt you mean FREE?

Excuse Sfilosa.. he mispoke..

makepoint.gif

Welcome to the Boards.

One of the best way to make friends on this board is to offer books to us at a discounts. gossip.gif

Discount?

Didnt you mean FREE?

Excuse Sfilosa.. he mispoke..

makepoint.gif

Action #1s...all around.... 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Welcome to the boards...

I look forward to seeing some of our doom-and-gloom patrol try to convince you that the crash is nearly at hand and all your comic investments will be worthless. It should make for an entertaining 10 minutes...

Just stay away from Joanna... she's the real troublemaker of the group... 893naughty-thumb.gif

stooges.gif

I know I speak for many here that it is nice to have you on these boards. Your efforts in so far comics collecting are discussed often amongdt us, and I know I speak for many others that I hope you will visit often and comment...as wellas ask questions!!

FYI, the general consensus was that you were given less than stellar advice early on, so it was very interesting to read your first post alluding to that 'fact.'. I would add to your learning process that it is not solely "scarcity" that fuels value in Golden Age books. A very rare 9.6 of an obscure #1 issue will just not have buyers lining up for it.

as it is said - - -Welcome to the Boards!!

Ditto! Welcome to the boards! Mark Wilson has posted here lately and has not only contributed quite a bit of knowledge, but has learned a thing or two in some discussions as well. Hope to see you around from time to time!

Looking forward to the big announcement re: Silver Age stuff, which is where my primary interest lies.

Welcome to the boards, Jay. I enjoyed talking with you on the phone the other day and look forward to your input here whenever you can give it. Great to have you on board and please don't be shy to post. Your comments will always be appreciated.

Dennis