• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Price increase confusion getting book sign...

30 posts in this topic

When I had my books signed last year, the CGC crew were the ones who prep my comics with by cracking the slab, cutting out the plastic cover, and placing backing board - it was nicely done. They also had the artists signed without my presence and WITHOUT extra costs.

This year I only had 2 books to submit and signed but I was told to cracked the slab by myself and to prepare the book for signing (cut the plastic cover, placed backing board). I wasn't even given instructions how to cut the slab properly without damaging the books and they just stood there without giving me instructions. Atleast one of the CGC guys who accompany me to witness the signing was nice enough to suggest what to do coz i was too scared to damaged the books. Wasn't the handling fee suppose to cover the prepping?

I'm also confused about the pricing. Is CGC charging $5 for every artist who signed the book eventhough the artist never asked for any authograph fee? how much will it cost for a 2 modern comics with less than $50 value -1. three artists signed for one comic book, and 2. one artist for the other. Is the handling fee charged per book or per submission form? I'm from 98295 WA using a PO box - how much is the shipping fee?

Thanks guys :)

A rough price is

35$ for one of your books

45$ for the book with 3 sigs

then add another 5$ for the invoice assuming the 2 books are on the same invoice

As far as prepping your books for you, I wouldn't see why they wouldn't help you crack your books out of their slabs. Not everyone is good at doing it. Last show I went to CGC cracked my books for me. I don't know if they will go the extra mile as to prepare a nice cut out window bag for you for sig placement but you should be able to do that yourself before you go to the show, if anything it saves time for you to do it yourself in advance, also you get the window placement exactly how you want it.

Hope that helps

Breakdown of the CGC SS Prices:

CGC SS Moderns $28

Fast Track (Optional) $10

Additional Signature Fees $5

Return Shipping - Registered US MAIL $14 first book.

As far as cracking Blue Lables, they won't. Yellow SS, they have to.

Am I missing something?

As far as cracking Blue Lables, they won't. Yellow SS, they have to.

Wow they really won't? So if I were to walk up to their table with a blue label slab and say "hey, I want to get this signed but I'm not sure how to crack this out." they will not help me out? Or do you mean they won't let me drop off a stack of slabs and expect them to crack them out for me?

I talked to Joe about this at ECCC. CGC used to do all the prep work for collectors getting SS books done but they recently implemented a new policy after the New York show for a couple reasons.

First, people were showing up with boxes and boxes of slabs and the prep workload at the booth was becoming overwhelming. I prepped 25 blue label books this year for Silvestri to sign and I understand much better all the work involved. I can't imagine having to do 2000 or more. But, I also share your fear about not knowing how and wanting to do it right so I don't screw up the books. JJ was working at the booth and gave me some helpful advice but it was stressful and depending on the results, I may not do it again.

Second, there is a liability issue. I didn't ask Joe for details but CGC's insurance company may be concerned about claims being filed on books that come back with a lower grade.

As Worldsbestcomics said above, the guys at cgc always used to help do books. But it came to a point when doing prep work and cracking took time away from getting witnesses to go out and get things done. They had to set a policy because of people bringing so much stuff to get done!

I asked Joe to crack a couple slabs and he told me the same thing, they don't do the blues anymore and understandably so. I don't want to crack other peoples books it is like whoever cracks it has to take some responsibility for the book. That is nuts, if you don't crack and prep or in fact prep your book yourself you will be responsible for what happens to that book.

I got all different sorts of prepped books at eccc and it made things a real hassle. There is a thread that will help at least with this part.

I luckily had two yellows which Joe was willing to crack for me (my two 9.8 Adlard sig/remarks got done by Kirkman and Moore and I have no idea still how or who got them signed but it was the guys at the CGC booth looking out for me that made it happen) and Joe is a pro, I watched him crack those two and now I feel comfortable cracking slabs.

Granted, if you had one blue lable, they should you out.

I am thinking you could get into a lot of trubble cracking a ss book with out a cgc witness ?

You can crack all the ss books you want without a witness being present. It won't go back in a yellow label but you can do it.