• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Toast report: ECCC 2012 PICTURE HEAVY

85 posts in this topic

This year I forgot to make plans to fly up in advance of the coming Spring Break. A flight up on Thursday would have been no problems, but every flight back was sold and and many were overbooked - so off I went via road to Seattle.

The weather in these parts has been awful, continuous days of rain with some areas flooding a bit. It was a long drive in the rain and not all that bad, but some sun would have been nice. I stopped off at three comic shops along the way. Sadly, one store was having such poor sales it stopped ordering new comics altogether. The other two stores were not doing well either.

It seems to be the theme in Oregon and Washington, as my pal Chris from I Like Comics in Vancouver, Washington, recently bought out a store that had been struggling for a while.

After arriving in Seattle, I went to a family member's house and met up with them for dinner. After dinner, we went to this killer indoor shooting range and blew off about four hundred or so rounds of ammo. We hit some regular targets and shot up a few comics for laughs, including an X-Force 3.

The guys in the lane next to us were blowing off rounds when one of them got hit right in the face; inner corner of his left eye near the bridge of his nose. A fragment had ricocheted back and caught him. Luckily, it was a small fragment that had skimmed off the bottom of his glasses - hence, why you should always wear rounded shooting glasses. The guy was okay with the fragment leaving just a small mark, and it could have been a lot worse.

After shooting we returned to the house, watched some TV, hung out and chatted and I crashed out for the night.

Friday afternoon I rolled into the city and met up with a good friend of mine for lunch at the Daily Grill. Adam Baldwin was chowing down while we were there and it was nice to see that nobody was bothering him. To you Daily Grill haters - I love you all and you have not a taste bud in your head.

After lunch I met up with the infamous greggy who, in spite of my not showing up with a pocket full of pins for him, was gracious enough to provide me with a pass for the show.

His kindness and my seventy-five dollars went a long way. Thanks again for hooking me up, greggy. (thumbs u

I walked around for a few minutes and checked on the line outside. There were a ton of people there. I decided to head over to the Image booth to wait and pick up a Walking Dead compendium.

Spydrcer (Rey) showed up and we hung out and talked while waiting for the show to start. There was a ceramics show in town and I think Rey was shocked that I knew who Chihuly was (renowned glass artist) - Rey had no clue and only knew the name because his wife had opted to go to the ceramics show and pass on the con. That's okay, Rey, I only know because of my wife too.

Shots from the crowd pre-show opening...

IMG_1980.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

Great con report and even better pictures. One thing I did not see in any of you pictures were all the young kids. It looks like the vast majority of the people in attendance were the 30+ crowd. Is that the case?

[quote=batman_fan

Great con report and even better pictures. One thing I did not see in any of you pictures were all the young kids. It looks like the vast majority of the people in attendance were the 30+ crowd. Is that the case?

The lines starting forming in the early afternoon on Friday. School was still in session, so I think that may be part of why you're not seeing a lot of younger people. There were plenty of younger folks at this show and I saw many of them buying books - WD and Adventure Time were huge at this show.

I can tell you that at last year's Wonder Northwest show that 90% of my customers were in their mid twenties and under - and they bought heavily and from a wide range of ages.

It was nice meeting you at the dinner Royce, we are just around the block from each other (well around the block as far as Oregon is concerned) so we will have to meet up some time. Maybe for dinner and bring the wife's.

Mike, it was great meeting you and I will be in touch soon. (thumbs u

The crowd was of all ages, but I would say that the average age was young. I would guess that people in their 20s would have been the largest group.

The crowd was of all ages, but I would say that the average age was young. I would guess that people in their 20s would have been the largest group.

I'd agree that there were a lot of 20 somethings and even some teenagers. It did seem like that there weren't a lot of comic books per se. Clothes, knick knacks, trades, etc but I and some others that I talked to noted the lack thereof. Probably more pure comics at Jet City which is the bi-annual Seattle show.

Thanks for the report Royce and many cool pics. (thumbs u

I'm still kicking myself and I was scheduled to be off work from Wednesday

to Saturday and forgot all about this comic con. doh!

I better be more organized for next year and want to attend a big US Comic

Con one year. :wishluck:

March 1 through 3, 2013 for the next ECCC show. Put it in your iPhone now (thumbs u

March 1 through 3, 2013 for the next ECCC show. Put it in your iPhone now (thumbs u

Thanks for the info Royce and those dates are recorded. (thumbs u

Hey Toast, next year you should fly me out to ECCC, put me in a 4 star hotel, & take me to dinner with greggy.

I won't disappoint the dinner conversation. I'm terribly charming & funny.

And devastatingly handsome. Don't forget that.

Hey Toast, next year you should fly me out to ECCC, put me in a 4 star hotel, & take me to dinner with greggy.

I won't disappoint the dinner conversation. I'm terribly charming & funny.

And devastatingly handsome. Don't forget that.

He is a handsome baztard, no argument here.

[quote=batman_fan

The lines starting forming in the early afternoon on Friday. School was still in session, so I think that may be part of why you're not seeing a lot of younger people. There were plenty of younger folks at this show and I saw many of them buying books - WD and Adventure Time were huge at this show.

I can tell you that at last year's Wonder Northwest show that 90% of my customers were in their mid twenties and under - and they bought heavily and from a wide range of ages.

Are you going this year and if so what is your involvement.

[quote=batman_fan

Yes, I'll be setting up at the show along with Dennis.

[quote=batman_fan

Yes, I'll be setting up at the show along with Dennis.

I will be there this year, Billy invited me to do a panel on Sunday.

For you younger guys. This girl did not look like she was older than nineteen :eek:

IMG_1988.jpg

There she is. I only saw her from the "rear" and I didn't want to be disappointed...glad I followed my instincts.

Are you saying she isn't attractive?