• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Danger Club

313 posts in this topic

If this book gets green lit for an ongoing series and if the writer and artist are agreable to an ongoing series or even a series of mini series - this book is going to take off. I haven't spoke to a single person who wasn't an immediate fan after reading the first issue. I think it is the best new super hero team book on the market. I enjoy it more than any new DC or Marvel superhero team. In fact, I've enjoyed the first two issues more than any new superhero book that Image has put out. Even if there is no ongoing title, I imagine that this book will continue to have a strong cult following in the future.

Not always, look at Grim Leaper and Black Kiss II - neither were marked x of y but both are mini and/or limited series. I think when the book isn't finished before it is solicited (i.e., the writer hasn't layed out the story boards or there is a risk that it may take 5 issues instead of 4 or 6 instead of 5 that this happens). Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE for this book to becom ean ongoing title. I absolutely love this book and have looked forward to each forthcoming issue after I've put down the last issue. In fact, those of us who are fanatics, should probably try and get signatures and present them to the creative staff and beg for them to keep putting this book out. It is a great ride and I for one can't get enough of it. Does anyone know how to reach the writer or artist and/or the OA dealer for Erik Jones (as he would obviously be able to get our petition to the creators)?

If this book gets green lit for an ongoing series and if the writer and artist are agreable to an ongoing series or even a series of mini series - this book is going to take off. I haven't spoke to a single person who wasn't an immediate fan after reading the first issue.

I'm not.

I think it is the best new super hero team book on the market. I enjoy it more than any new DC or Marvel superhero team.

Super hero team books outside of the big 2 are a very tough sell. Both Noble Causes and Dynamo 5 were both fantastic, but ultimately were cancelled due to sales.

Don't take this the wrong way but you also called Hickman's book Secret pedestrian so forgive me if I imagine that you are highly critical of books and that you may be in the minority on this one. ;)

Probably. lol

I've always found everything I've read by Hickman (a decent amount) to be enjoyable, but unfulfilling in the end. For that reason, I always tell myself that I'm not going to buy anything he writes, but I always end up buying it and always feel the same. So that's my fault. doh!

Danger Club, I only read once, but it felt like it was all over the place and the story didn't stick with me at all. I think I was a bit turned off by the art because I tend to dislike anything with a manga tinge to it at all.

There's not many new books I'm liking right now really. I was a bit underwhelmed with MtG #1 when I fully expected to love it after reading the preview. Saga is the only new book that I'm 100% behind. No Place Like Home, X-O Manowar and Saucer Country have my attention as well.

See I was underwhelmed by Saucer Country (but I'm afraid my expectations were too high). I intentionally didn't read the preview for Mind the Gap because I've noticed recently that when I read 6 page previews or even articles that reveal plot lines that I don't enjoy the books like I would if I didn't know what to expect. It's the same with movies. I remember wathcing Schindler's List and being like "that was a good movie, but I don't know that it was the best movie I've ever seen" by contrast I remember Pulp Fiction getting terrible press by my local whore for the GOP/US Chamber of Commerce rag newspaper and being like "that was the best f'n movie ever. I think that when I lower my expectations I'm pleasantly surprised. Danger Club for example, I didn't even put in a pre-order for. Then I heard that it was a great book and ordered a copy and was so pleasantly surprised that I hurried up and ordered a half dozen more copies. Forgive me for rambling, it's very late on the East Coast, but I think you get my point. Another example of a book that I was underwheled by was America's Got Powers. Again, I think it's because I knew everything about the book before I opened up a single page. I bet that if I didn't know anything about the book before I opened it up, I would have really enjoyed the premise and plot becasue the art was really sharp. As far as Danger Club goes, I liked the 1st issue b/c of the Dark Knight tribute, nod, whatever you want to call it. I also like Magna inspired art. I don't like strict Magna but I do like quasi-magna art. Anyway, I was nervous that the second issue couldn't maintain the quality of the first, but I thought it did and I'm very interested in seeing how the rest of the book develops. In reference to Secret, I enjoyed the first issue in large part because I didn't know who the hell I was supposed to root for even when the book was over. Who knows if the rest of the series will go anywhere but I liked it. I tend to think that Hickman does a good job with military type books as well (military and history books). Anyway, I hope you give both those series another try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by both books.