• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why buy high grades?
2 2

73 posts in this topic

I suppose I've sold as many high grade books over the past 25 years as just about anyone. I start specializing in high grade books because it was what I liked. I always wanted to have a book that looked as nearly like a brand new copy, fresh from the stand, as I could get. I think it is primarily a reminiscence of childhood and the thrill of getting those books for the first time. And frankly, many high grade books are just beautiful to have and to hold.

I would always rather buy a collection of high grade books than sell those same books. I think many of us share the same thrill of finding a beautiful book that looks untouched.

On 4/5/2012 at 9:07 AM, Bodhi396 said:

Interesting responses.

I guess I understand the urge to have your comics in the best condition possible, even if as some alluded to, it might be just collectors' OCD.

I think I miss the time when just having a certain comic seemed to matter, as long as it was not falling apart. Now it seems having a certain key issue is not enough, but you have to have the issue In a really high grade. Maybe I'm misremembering how collecting was before CGC, But it seems like the strict condition of comics wasn't as big a concern.

I also think that old comics in low grade condition are interesting, because they can almost tell a story by their condition. You see a beat up Amazing Fantasy 15 and can imagine that it once belonged to a kid, and maybe was stored in an attic somewhere and somehow arrived at a dealer decades later. Comics in more 'perfect' grades have none of that history and character. I still have the first comic I ever bought and it's in fairly beat up condition and probably worth only a few bucks at most, but I love it more than any other comic I own. I could easily go out and buy exact issue in perfect condition, but it wouldn't be the same to me.

I think you've hit the nail on the proverbial head with your last comment. I actually have books that aren't super high grade that I really like a lot---they have sentimental value. I also have books that are Near Mint or better that I don't really care about. I do look for the best copies I can find, but it's not as important to me as it once was. I'm happy with what I have...

27 minutes ago, Dale Roberts said:

I suppose I've sold as many high grade books over the past 25 years as just about anyone. I start specializing in high grade books because it was what I liked. I always wanted to have a book that looked as nearly like a brand new copy, fresh from the stand, as I could get. I think it is primarily a reminiscence of childhood and the thrill of getting those books for the first time. And frankly, many high grade books are just beautiful to have and to hold.

I would always rather buy a collection of high grade books than sell those same books. I think many of us share the same thrill of finding a beautiful book that looks untouched.

:acclaim:

On 10/28/2019 at 12:08 PM, The Lions Den said:

. I actually have books that aren't super high grade that I really like a lot---they have sentimental value. I also have books that are Near Mint or better that I don't really care about. I do look for the best copies I can find, but it's not as important to me as it once was. I'm happy with what I have...

Yeah me too . The ones that will be for sell this next year ( figure it will take me that long to finish inv and prep)  are much higher grade. But take those Daredevils I got in tonight, I asked for readers. Now granted he sent me exceptional readers , But for ME, I can be totally happy with these. Here is 2 of the 5

IMG_1523.JPG

IMG_1524.JPG

11 hours ago, Arak Zantara said:

Yeah me too . The ones that will be for sell this next year ( figure it will take me that long to finish inv and prep)  are much higher grade. But take those Daredevils I got in tonight, I asked for readers. Now granted he sent me exceptional readers , But for ME, I can be totally happy with these. Here is 2 of the 5

IMG_1523.JPG

IMG_1524.JPG

Pretty nice, man!   

Everyone has their own price/condition sweet spot.  And different types of books have very different price escalation curves.

Sometimes the high grade copy is only twice as much as the mid grade copy.  I tend to buy the high grade copy then.  Sometimes the high grade copy is 20 times the mid grade copy.  I tend to buy the mid grade copy in that situation.

11 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Why buy high grades?  Because those of us who started in the hobby buying books off the rack when they were new remember and learned to love them that way: fresh and new.

I feel that way about copper for sure and later bronze.Getting a fresh and new atom age horror comic would just seem so strange to me!Intimidating to read.I really like having mid grade to read comfortably,don't like it when they are so banged up I have to worry about them falling apart.Fine and below is my sweet spot for older raws.