• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever have an ebay buyer that is demanding his comics be in mylar

53 posts in this topic

Actually he used the word MUST...sold 17 comics in a lot. Apparently it's not possible for the comics to arrive undamaged unless they're in mylar.

I would tell him he must lick my balls.

animal,balls,jealousy,lick,lion,mammal,unfair-1bb9cdd042e7e67dcf8bb89db160a595_m.jpg

Having raw books bagged and board and put in a Mylar (five bagged/boarded books easily fit in one Mylar) help a lot reducing the risk of damage on books during transportation.

If the buyer had bad experiences in the past with books received with damage because of impact dings on corners, I understand why he has such a request. Mylars enhance protection for raw books.

If that bother you as a seller, then why don't you just ask him to pay for the cost of Mylars ? It is a small cost and should not be a problem for him if that is what he wants.

I can relate because this week has been the week from hell from eBay buyers for me. I'm going to share with you all an eBay message conversation with a buyer. When reading this exchange, keep in mind the book in question cost all of $7.95.

BUYER: Would you please use plastic wrap liberally to bind the bagged and boarded comic to a piece of cardboard then use a second piece of cardboard on top of the other side of the book and use plastic wrap liberally to bind the book to the next piece of cardboard and wrap the whole package to keep the book from sliding and being nicked or dinged on the corners or otherwise damaged. Please use this in addition to your own method for packaging. I have had bad experiences with comics being damaged during shipping and this book looks beautiful in the photo and I intend to send it to CGC and sincerely appreciate your assistance in helping me receive the book in perfect condition. Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to doing more business soon.

ME: Your comic has been packaged securely and should arrive to you without incident. Thanks for your business.

BUYER: Would you please use plastic wrap liberally to bind the bagged and boarded comic to a piece of cardboard then use a second piece of cardboard on top of the other side of the book and use plastic wrap liberally to bind the book to the next piece of cardboard and wrap the whole package to keep the book from sliding and being nicked or dinged on the corners or otherwise damaged. Please use this in addition to your own method for packaging. I have had bad experiences with comics being damaged during shipping and this book looks beautiful in the photo and I intend to send it to CGC and sincerely appreciate your assistance in helping me receive the book in perfect condition. Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to doing more business soon.

Yep, he's holding firm to that plastic wrap request. (shrug)

Future blocked buyer.

Reminds me of a line from Caddyshack just replace Coke with Mylars and send it to the buyer

Danny Noonan: I can't pay you. Lou has to.

Tony D'Annunzio: Where is he?

Danny Noonan: He's out.

Tony D'Annunzio: I can see that he's out, numbnuts.

[Gives Danny a dollar]

Tony D'Annunzio: Give me a coke.

Danny Noonan: One coke.

[gives Tony a bottle of Coke and 50 cents]

Tony D'Annunzio: Hey wait a minute. That's only 50 cents.

Danny Noonan: Yeah well Lou raised the price of coke he's been losing at the track.

Tony D'Annunzio: Well I ain't paying no 50 cents for no coke.

Danny Noonan: Oh then you ain't getting no coke. Know what I'm talking about?

Having raw books bagged and board and put in a Mylar (five bagged/boarded books easily fit in one Mylar) help a lot reducing the risk of damage on books during transportation.

If the buyer had bad experiences in the past with books received with damage because of impact dings on corners, I understand why he has such a request. Mylars enhance protection for raw books.

If that bother you as a seller, then why don't you just ask him to pay for the cost of Mylars ? It is a small cost and should not be a problem for him if that is what he wants.

I'm not really understanding how mylars really offer any additional protection in this scenario.

Particularly if they are mylites and are really no different than a poly in terms of thickness.

Also, not everyone has a stock of unused mylars handy, it's not even a matter of cost. To be honest, I find them annoying and have been throwing them away because half the time it is hard to fit a boarded/bagged book in them and half the time they are too tall for a magazine box and rub up against the cover. Most of the shops I go to do not even sell them (and I'm in the largest city in the country).

I can relate because this week has been the week from hell from eBay buyers for me. I'm going to share with you all an eBay message conversation with a buyer. When reading this exchange, keep in mind the book in question cost all of $7.95.

ME: Your comic has been packaged securely and should arrive to you without incident. Thanks for your business.

Future blocked buyer.

I like the way he assumes you have a roll of plastic wrap handy. I never owned one until I had kids.

I'm not really understanding how mylars really offer any additional protection in this scenario.

Particularly if they are mylites and are really no different than a poly in terms of thickness.

Also, not everyone has a stock of unused mylars handy, it's not even a matter of cost. To be honest, I find them annoying and have been throwing them away because half the time it is hard to fit a boarded/bagged book in them and half the time they are too tall for a magazine box and rub up against the cover. Most of the shops I go to do not even sell them (and I'm in the largest city in the country).

Mylars are very useful as they help protect book's corners in case the box is knocked or dropped. Mylar will take the first hit rather than the book.

Many books that were sent to me have been saved thanks to the Mylars the sellers used to send me their comics. Postmen are not always delicate when handling packages.

I recently received a large lot of books from an eBay seller. Strangely, some of them were put in Mylars, the others were not. The ones in the Mylars were totally undamaged; the other ones have all been crushed or dinged on corners.

'Nuff said! :sumo:

Future blocked buyer.

I would have wrapped it in aluminum foil and claimed insanity.

Oddly enough I was going to post this today as well. Here is his note verbatim :

Please make sure you package it in a well-protected manner. I have been burnt in the past. To pack your comics, each comic MUST BE PLACED in a MYLAR WITH BACKING BOARD.Then place the books between two firm pieces of OVERSIZED&Thick cardboard & tape them together (this will provide a firm support on top and bottom of the comics). Surround the secured books with multiple layers of cushioning material/newspaper so that comics will not move during shipment, & place all in a sturdy Priority Mail BOX.

I did everything except I substituted regular comic bags for the mylars. His ebay name is Knieves. He's won 119 auctions in the last 30 days with all but one of them being The Walking Dead,

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidItems&userid=knieves&sort=1&page=1&rows=50&completed=1&all=0

I've sent that email to sellers after I've won auctions before. After you get a few books stuffed in envelopes, with or without cardboard, bent, dented, banged and whatnot, you get a little pissy about it. I can understand where he's coming from.

I think what he's asking for is specifically about the packaging and making sure the book has a good chance of making it to him without any damage. I believe he's using the word "mylar" as a generic term for the bag. I don't think he's looking for the books to be in Mylite2's with Fullbacks.

Future blocked buyer.

Why, he was polite. A little obnoxious maybe, but he clearly just doesn't want his book damaged.

If you packed it securely and he gets it safely, he'll probably be happy. The only reason to block someone like this is if you pack like .

I think it's perfectly reasonable to request sellers observe some type of shipping method that will minimize or altogether eliminate damage during transit. We've all been there, and I'm sure the one or two times you don't ask, the comic gets wrecked.

That said, I also try to be reasonable in my requests. I understand and appreciate the time and materials that go into packing a comic properly for shipment.

When you get buyers making requests like this, I think its good form to let them know there are material and handling costs associated to fulfilling the request.

If they expected you to deliver on the request on your dime and don't like the idea of having to pay an additional cost, cancel the auction and block him. 2c