• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where are the classic silver age covers

82 posts in this topic

I know that back in the day, some art was held and trashed by the studios and some was returned to the creators.

But I have never really seen any top covers for sale.

AF #15, AMS #1, FF#1 etc. are they locked in collections or are they out there.

I love your take on, Crime SuspenStories 22 BTW.

Very nice

The Anthony Castrillo one? Thanks!

As for classic SA covers, maybe my classics aren't everyone's, but I know that the Mystery In Space 90 and Flash 123 covers have survived the years. Both are in CAF galleries.

I have just never seen these type of covers for sale.

My 1st choice given unlimited choice and money, would be a sci-fi cover of some sort.

Probably a Mystery in Space.

I wish.

MysteryinSpace1-1.jpg

Very nice

As for classic SA covers, maybe my classics aren't everyone's, but I know that the Mystery In Space 90 and Flash 123 covers have survived the years. Both are in CAF galleries.

Have you got your Adams comish yet ?

Very nice

Have you got your Adams comish yet ?

Still waitin'...

They are all out there. 20 years ago I heard, many times removed, a story of someone walking into the Marvel offices and seeing XXX going through a stack of key covers.

Most Marvel art already has examples going back to FF3, even farther pre-hero. Its all there, as I have said for many years..in the dark hole of collecting. Those that don't need the admiration of other collectors to enjoy their art hold the keys.

Mark

All the PAGES are out there...

But when it comes to pre 1965 covers, most are not. I don't think they are in an attic or hidden in an ex staffer collection. I think most were destroyed. Pre 1965 covers are rare, and we better get used to it. With prices escalating as they have, if they do indeed exist, we should have seen many more covers by now popping to the surface.

Maybe some of them are stored in the same place than the whole Amazing Fantasy #15 first story used to be.

Maybe the questionable provenance of mostly of them prevent them to surface. They would get lots of attention and many questions would be made.

I also wonder if we'll get a surprise when Stan Lee passes away.

All the PAGES are out there...

But when it comes to pre 1965 covers, most are not. I don't think they are in an attic or hidden in an ex staffer collection. I think most were destroyed. Pre 1965 covers are rare, and we better get used to it. With prices escalating as they have, if they do indeed exist, we should have seen many more covers by now popping to the surface.

That's the story I heard.

It's also worth remembering that (interior) pages were kept for reprint possibilities.

Covers were created to front a book for the time of issue (date and issue number), and were probably considered obsolete once they were used - so I'd go along with the idea that they were routinely destroyed.

I know that back in the day, some art was held and trashed by the studios and some was returned to the creators.

The Library of Congress has the AF15 OA It can be seen through appointment.

Thank you for your interest in the collections of the Library of Congress. Yes, we permit individuals and groups to see Steve Ditko's original art for Amazing Fantasy #15. Please let me know if you are only interested in the Spider-man story.

The Prints & Photographs Division is closed on Saturdays and Sundays. I work from 6:30-3:00 and offer appointment times that start between 8:30 and 1:30 (to allow researchers a proper amount of time to view art). I tend to take my holidays in August, and intend to be away from the Library of Congress from Friday August 13, through Friday, August 20, 2010. In addition, I may not work every day the week of August 23 through August 27, but can make myself available.

The Prints and Photographs Division is located in room 339 of the Madison Building of the Library of Congress, 101 Independence Ave., SE, between 1st and 2nd streets. The nearest Metro station is Capitol South. We are a quick walk across Capitol Hill from Union Station.

You may bring a hand-held camera that can be operated without flash using available light for reference purposes. The drawings are housed under mylar and will not be removed during your appointment.

If you do not already possess a Library of Congress researcher card (available with one form of picture ID that contains your current address, you will need to stop in room 140 and get one before you arrive in the Prints & Photographs Division): < http://www.loc.gov/rr/security/readerreg.html >. Everyone in the group will need one.

I cannot show the comic book to anyone younger than 16. There is no exception to this rule (even my own son is counting the days until he is old enough to see it). There is a Young Reader's Center in the Library, and I suggest it as an alternative arrangement for children.

I look forward to meeting you. Please let me know when in August you intend to visit, and how many people will be in the group.

Sincerely,

Sara W. Duke

Curator, Popular and Applied Graphic Art

Prints and Photographs Division

Library of Congress, Washington, DC 20540-4730

The Library of Congress has the AF15 OA It can be seen through appointment.

Thank you for your interest in the collections of the Library of Congress. Yes, we permit individuals and groups to see Steve Ditko's original art for Amazing Fantasy #15. Please let me know if you are only interested in the Spider-man story.

The Prints & Photographs Division is closed on Saturdays and Sundays. I work from 6:30-3:00 and offer appointment times that start between 8:30 and 1:30 (to allow researchers a proper amount of time to view art). I tend to take my holidays in August, and intend to be away from the Library of Congress from Friday August 13, through Friday, August 20, 2010. In addition, I may not work every day the week of August 23 through August 27, but can make myself available.

The Prints and Photographs Division is located in room 339 of the Madison Building of the Library of Congress, 101 Independence Ave., SE, between 1st and 2nd streets. The nearest Metro station is Capitol South. We are a quick walk across Capitol Hill from Union Station.

You may bring a hand-held camera that can be operated without flash using available light for reference purposes. The drawings are housed under mylar and will not be removed during your appointment.

If you do not already possess a Library of Congress researcher card (available with one form of picture ID that contains your current address, you will need to stop in room 140 and get one before you arrive in the Prints & Photographs Division): < http://www.loc.gov/rr/security/readerreg.html >. Everyone in the group will need one.

I cannot show the comic book to anyone younger than 16. There is no exception to this rule (even my own son is counting the days until he is old enough to see it). There is a Young Reader's Center in the Library, and I suggest it as an alternative arrangement for children.

I look forward to meeting you. Please let me know when in August you intend to visit, and how many people will be in the group.

Sincerely,

Sara W. Duke

Curator, Popular and Applied Graphic Art

Prints and Photographs Division

Library of Congress, Washington, DC 20540-4730

Would love to see that.

Steve Ditko is one of my favorite artists, AF#15 is the most expensive comic I have ever bought and my most expensive page of OA is by Steve Ditko.

I wonder why no kids allowed.

Thanks for that info. :)

As usual, email or forum postings are a terrible way to convey intent. I simply meant not all collectors display their art to the public. Nothing else. Thanks to all those that share, my internet collection of original Silver Age art scans is nearing 1000 pages.

As to the covers..they are all there..maybe you should ask a straight "Shooter" were they might be. FF1 for sure. The suggestion covers were trashed but interior pages saved defies logic. Remember, even in 1964 Collectors Items Classics had cover repos..on the covers. So much for not wanting to save them. There is indeed one reason many are not being seen, and that is the single issue of ownership. The only safe way to out them is to donate them as was done with the AF 15 interior pages..otherwise many of us will never have the pleasure of ever even seeing a scan.

My favorite, but never verified urban myth was that pages were given as gifts to visitors to the Marvel offices during the early 60's. However, not one single documented case of that ever happening. Would love to hear a testimonial and see the page given to any individual.

Wish I could get in my wayback machine with Mr. Peabody and get the real story, and maybe a few pages.

It's all out there. Do you all really think somehow Marie was able to provide the interior pages to AF 15 without at least knowing where the cover was? In that case maybe one of my favorite artists of all time in Johnstown could fill us all in.

I absolutely have to make the "request" and pilgrimage to the National Museum and see those pages to AF 15, if anything just to marvel at their pristine condition. Wow. Better than Cooperstown in my opinion.

Mark (well over 50 years into this hobby, and loving it more every day!)

I absolutely have to make the "request" and pilgrimage to the National Museum and see those pages to AF 15, if anything just to marvel at their pristine condition. Wow. Better than Cooperstown in my opinion.

Mark (well over 50 years into this hobby, and loving it more every day!)

If I lived in the US it would be top of my " to do " list.

My favorite, but never verified urban myth was that pages were given as gifts to visitors to the Marvel offices during the early 60's. However, not one single documented case of that ever happening. Would love to hear a testimonial and see the page given to any individual.

The whole Spider-Man #93 (including cover) was discovered recently in the vaults of the Western Michigan University, donated by Stan Lee himself.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2012/03/original_john_romita_sr_spider.html

Irene Vartanoff, who had the task to make an inventory of the Marvel storage of Original art, commented in an interview to The Comics Journal that he had to fight to prevent some Marvel staffers to give them as a gift as it was a common practice till then.

About Shooter, I read somewhere (probably in his blog) that both covers of the Spectacular Spider-Man magazine by Romita were found in his personal vault by an assistant, but I can't find the source right now. Later they were auctioned in Heritage. Maybe they were a gift by Romita himself... or not.

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=751&lotNo=3797

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=803&lotNo=5886

Urban Myth? I don't think so...

I had the pleasure last year of seeing the Ditko Spider-man OA from Amazing Fantasy #15 at the Madison Building. I setup an appointment when I was back in DC last May. Besides the Ditko Spider-Man art I also requested seeing Hoharth Tarzan strips. They brought out a dozen Tarzan Sundays. They were breathtaking. Both Martha and Warren were very helpful and I had a great time.

I highly recommend setting up an appointment to view the Amazing Fantasy and ask about other art they have. It was the highlight of my trip.