• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

post your internment camp-coded okajima books

107 posts in this topic

I only have one Okajima....not from the Camp period. The handwritten arrival date looks to have a similar handwriting style as the earlier books. I'm wondering if the original owner continued to purchase books from the SAME source after reintegration to regular society ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Hi Straw-Man, could you explain better the story behind these internment camps books? I never thought about this thing, and of course they tie-in with my research about the inter-war period. Thanks! :)

From The Pedigree website Link to Okajima Pedigree

You know, it would be really cool if someone wrote a book collecting and chronicling the histories of these great pedigree collections.

Hi Straw-Man, could you explain better the story behind these internment camps books? I never thought about this thing, and of course they tie-in with my research about the inter-war period. Thanks! :)

From The Pedigree website Link to Okajima Pedigree

You know, it would be really cool if someone wrote a book collecting and chronicling the histories of these great pedigree collections.

Maybe you should take up the reins & pick up where Ritter, Nelson, Haspel & I left off? :baiting:

@FUELMAN: Many thanks. For an italian like me, it’s really explanatory.

The Okajima books are particularly fascinating, I’d love to see more. :)

Now I think I have a Lev Gleason Daredevil coming from the Harold Curtis collection, but I am unsure. It’s one of the very few CGC books I have and the CGC label does not mention it.

EDIT: It is, I’ve found the scan on the site. I also see many of them CGC ones does not have the "Harold" or "H.C." signatures.

cap40.jpg

Now that is an interesting pedigree. I am generally not as impressed as others may be with the story behind most pedigrees, at least not enough to say that it's worth several times more in grade, or that the grade shouldn't factor in defects unique to that pedigree. But in the case of these books the pedigree is something that I think would interest the average person a great deal. It's ironic enough that any Japanese-American kid would read and collect American comics with costumed heroes mowing down racially-depicted Imperial Japanese soldiers. But to collect them even while you're interned in a camp? Fascinating.

@FUELMAN: Many thanks. For an italian like me, it’s really explanatory.

The Okajima books are particularly fascinating, I’d love to see more. :)

Now I think I have a Lev Gleason Daredevil coming from the Harold Curtis collection, but I am unsure. It’s one of the very few CGC books I have and the CGC label does not mention it.

EDIT: It is, I’ve found the scan on the site. I also see many of them CGC ones does not have the "Harold" or "H.C." signatures.

vaillant, cgc doesn't recognize harold's books as a pedigree, but we geeks sure do like them.

I only have one Okajima....not from the Camp period. The handwritten arrival date looks to have a similar handwriting style as the earlier books. I'm wondering if the original owner continued to purchase books from the SAME source after reintegration to regular society ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

yes, but your non-camp o'jima is THUN'DA 1!!!!!!!!! that will make up for a lot of inadequate coding.