• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

post your internment camp-coded okajima books

107 posts in this topic

I have 3 or maybe 4, but they are also in storage. This is the only pedigree that ever really interested me, it's fascinating...when I went to school, interment camps were never mentioned in history class. It was not till my daughter had to read Snow Falling on Cedars that I knew anything about them...(great book, if you have not read it)

This is a wonderful thread...thank you all for inferring, implying and assuming:)

Much better to read than anything I've seen lately.

Please continue the debate

(worship)

hey sha'!!

We implied that they were coded while she was at the camp. But we do assume that someone other than her coded them. Why? Many reasons, some stated earlier. But here's a big one. If she wrote all that info on the early books why would she stop later? Why don't all of her books have writing all over them? One reason could be that she was in a camp and wanted to identify her books so others wouldn't take them from her.

Because I agree one pen made all the markings, which strongly suggests one hand, I think the reasonable possible explanations are these (in descending order based on my second hand knowledge of the workings of some camps):

(1) The camp store wrote the date and "code" for its own reasons, and put her name on the book to reserve it for her;

(2) She (or a relative) put her name, the date, and her address on the comic to mark it as hers and also to memorialize when she got it (the diary impulse -- which I think is strong for captives);

(3) The camp store wrote the date for its own reasons, and put her name and "address" on the book so it could be sent to her through the camp's mail system; or

(4) The camp authorities put the name, date and her building on it for some sort of camp administration reasons (I think this is incredibly unlikely).

It's worth noting that the Tule Lake Store books don't show any markings, so if we could find out that she was in Tule Lake camp we could pretty safely assume that she was the one who marked up the books. The way to solve this mystery is to track down the girl, or at least her name, and then get the details on the camp she was in. There is a wealth of material on the camps.

I think you can safely assume that a book was obtained by her while she was interned just based on the date of the book (which you can correllate to the stages of the internment). Which means that I think you can also safely assume that if there are a few books without markings which fall within the time period of the internment (especially early or late) than the lack of markings should not disqualify them from being viewed as camp books.

'duck, we're not trying to denigrate non-coded books that she may have obtained while at the camp, but which somehow managed to avoid the pen. we [ME---i started the thead] LOVE the cool coding on these books, and the thread was created so our group of exhibitionists could exhibit the damn things. we don't care to "disqualify" anything--we just want boardies to show us scans of cool funnybooks. it's what we do.

i do think it's cool that you have a keen interest in the internment camps, and know so much about them. i'm a long-ago history grad, and understand the allure.

Anyway, who wrote the story of this Okajima collection?

I think it would be better to know the sources rather than examining suppositions, no?

vaillant---ever see the magnificent seven? mcqueen: "mister, we deal in lead."

well, mister, we boardies deal in suppositions---they make for great threads.

My one Okajima specimen (a Capt Marvel Jr.) is "camp coded" but it's in storage at the moment, else I'd share a scan. :)

it it's a 10, you have to sell it to me.

Fiddlesticks! It isn't a #10 or even a Capt Marvel Jr (I misremembered.) It is actually Master #82. :) Which actually is from 1947, but does have all the various markings and the original cert it was marketed with. I got it from Ed Jaster around 2002 I think?

My one Okajima specimen (a Capt Marvel Jr.) is "camp coded" but it's in storage at the moment, else I'd share a scan. :)

it it's a 10, you have to sell it to me.

Fiddlesticks! It isn't a #10 or even a Capt Marvel Jr (I misremembered.) It is actually Master #82. :) Which actually is from 1947, but does have all the various markings and the original cert it was marketed with. I got it from Ed Jaster around 2002 I think?

This really messes things up. Master 82 is cover dated 8/47. But the last internment camp closed down a year and a half earlier in March of 1946 (there was a detention center in Texas open until October 1946, but I don't think it had kids). And the vast majority of the camps had closed by December 1945. So if your book has the markings, then there are only two possibilities:

(1) The markings have nothing to do with the camps; or

(2) Something is rotten in Denmark.

My book does have the familiar date markings (going from memory) and is easily recognizable as an Okajima, but I cannot swear to its having each and every corresponding marking (camp origin or otherwise) as described in detail for other books in this thread (sorry if I unintentionally mislead by saying that!)

I will happily get it out of storage next weekend (this weekend is C2E2) or as soon as I can, and scan and post it; maybe it will shed some light (or muddy the waters.) :)

My book does have the familiar date markings (going from memory) and is easily recognizable as an Okajima, but I cannot swear to its having each and every corresponding marking (camp origin or otherwise) as described in detail for other books in this thread (sorry if I unintentionally mislead by saying that!)

I will happily get it out of storage next weekend (this weekend is C2E2) or as soon as I can, and scan and post it; maybe it will shed some light (or muddy the waters.) :)

That'd be cool.

Happy to do so! Anyway I don't think it'll break any new ground, I know it has a familiar Okajima handwritten date on it, but not sure of anything else. I need to be more careful of what I type! :) And anyway, it'll be fun to contribute to this thread of beautiful books! :)

Happy to do so! Anyway I don't think it'll break any new ground, I know it has a familiar Okajima handwritten date on it, but not sure of anything else. I need to be more careful of what I type! :) And anyway, it'll be fun to contribute to this thread of beautiful books! :)

here is it's following-issue brother. i'm sure this is the familiar okajima date we're going to find common to yours, as well. very much an okajima code, just not a camp-code. if yours has the other kind of code, 'duck might be right about invoking hamlet.

master83.jpg

here is it's following-issue brother. i'm sure this is the familiar okajima date we're going to find common to yours, as well. very much an okajima code, just not a camp-code. if yours has the other kind of code, 'duck might be right about invoking hamlet.

master83.jpg

Nah, from memory I don't think it'll be that different from #83 -- sorry to have mislead! But I look forward to digging it out and posting. :) Carry on!