• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Spinner Racks
1 1

204 posts in this topic

Just got a new wood rack to compliment my wire 1966 DC rack (below). I think the new rack is from the same era. Anyone ever seen one like this? I haven't, though I've seen Dell and DC racks in the same wood design. Any info anyone can share on the date of this thing would be appreciated:

s-l1600.jpg

Here's my new comic rack. Never seen one like it. Same format as the old wooden shelf style you see most often from Dell, but also have seen from DC. But, this one is made out of wire and clearly, because of the DC checkerboard, dates to between February 1966 and August 1967:

_57.jpg

It's perfect for me because I was born in 1966.

Edited to add:

P.S. The graphic on my rack is the same as on this spinner rack if that helps anyone with the dating of the racks:

35916644_614.jpg

Edited by sfcityduck

Turns out over on the GA forum (where all the most knowledgeable guys hang out) they were able to date my rack to 1962 - the first year GK came out. Here's the reason I wanted this type of rack (aside from this particular one is in nearly perfect shape):

IMG_0401.jpg

Perfect for oversized books!

The DC wall rack (or spinner rack) has been on my WTB list for a long time. I just finally got my first "HEY KIDS!" Spinner rack last month. It fits and match the time era period when I started buy comics. The DC model is next.

Good luck finding a DC rack!

The wire three tier rack I bought was a very lucky break as I've never seen another comic rack like that, regardless of publisher.

I have seen a wooden three tier DC rack in person, but the owner says it is the last thing he'll sell.

I did finally manage to land myself a DC spinner rack, the one with the classic DC "Best in Comics Reading two sided topper, but its in only so-so condition and I'm not really using it. Even so, I wouldn't part with it for less than a $1,000. Racks are just cool, even when suffering from a bit of rust spotting.

I'm curious - and I understand if everyone's tapped out on this subject, being that it's been 3 years since the last posting. But I have a question and was hoping someone here could help:

I know it's not one of these cool, classic racks, but does anyone remember a wood and plexiglass spinner rack that used to be used to display comics at - I want to say - B. Dalton Bookseller or Waldenbooks? It might also have been Crown or Borders, but I'm pretty certain this particular rack was specific to one of the two latter stores.

The reason I remember this rack is because its plexiglass kept the comic flat against the front, unencumbered by anything else for display, while also not allowing the book to deform unless removed roughly.

I'd like to make one, but I can't find a photo of one anywhere. And I know they were in use for at least 15-20 years, because similar versions were definitely found at Borders in the late years before their closure.

Anyone with knowledge of such an image would have my gratitude.

Let me know - thanks!

6 hours ago, Ladic said:

are these worth it?

https://spinnerrack.com/

If you’re willing to spend $350 on a repro spinner rack, I would be patient instead and look for a real vintage one.  Here’s mine. Bought it about 5 years ago from a comic/ gaming shop that was dumping comics and focusing on gaming. Sold it to me for $30.  They might be hard to find but they are out there. 

4C728237-188A-43F4-BD35-18D0FF52F2BC.jpeg

On 11/7/2016 at 5:10 PM, Robot Man said:

I don't think you are "wiggling" enough dead presidents...

I just saw this comment lol

Let's just say that I offered WAY more than it was worth. Cash + a Wayne Gretzky RC. I thank my lucky stars he didn't accept that deal when I offered it back then.