• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Spinner Racks
1 1

204 posts in this topic

I picked-up another one (I'm up to 9 comic racks) of the Hey Kids Comics spinners. The one I most recently picked up was an odd variation. I'd never seen one with the legs like this one I have, and the wire-rack still has it's original chrome finish. I keep seeing the ones posted by other members having a off-white painted finish, but everyone I've bought has a grey/metal appearance.

This recent one is the only one I found that has a chrome finish similar to my Dell spinner. Anyhow, I find all this fascinating because of the 4 Hey Kid's Comics racks I own, they all have different legs, and the standalone is the only one that is painted white (not off-white, white and it's factory painted).

Your best bet is probably finding someone local who does metal fabrication and let them make one for you.

Never looked into fabrication...do they do the graphics as well?

I can probably hook you up with repro graphics.

You just need the sign on top, right?

Great thread about the spinner racks! I used to remember seeing them in the grocery stores where I had went to as a kid.

Our local grocery store, which is now a hannaford still has one. Really cool to see this day in age. :cloud9:

I picked-up another one (I'm up to 9 comic racks) of the Hey Kids Comics spinners. The one I most recently picked up was an odd variation. I'd never seen one with the legs like this one I have, and the wire-rack still has it's original chrome finish. I keep seeing the ones posted by other members having a off-white painted finish, but everyone I've bought has a grey/metal appearance.

This recent one is the only one I found that has a chrome finish similar to my Dell spinner. Anyhow, I find all this fascinating because of the 4 Hey Kid's Comics racks I own, they all have different legs, and the standalone is the only one that is painted white (not off-white, white and it's factory painted).

Your dell spinner is my favorite and I wish I could get one.

Your best bet is probably finding someone local who does metal fabrication and let them make one for you.

I also need a stand. Mistakenly bought a rack that did not have one. That's what I get for not paying attention.

I'm looking for one of these at the moment - starting to think your suggestion could be a good fall back:

132981.jpg.0c020886ec2e55b21afae9312e64f5d7.jpg

I'm looking for one of these at the moment - starting to think your suggestion could be a good fall back:

I can hook you up, my friend. (thumbs u

I recently picked up a 5 sided "Hey Kids". it has the 4 legged chrome stand with the greyish painted wire racks.

Question: What year(s) are these "Hey Kids" racks from? I was originally thinking 80's but are they older?

Sweet! :D

Will it be expensive? I'll probably want a repro bell header for displaying (top display cardboard sign in the shape of a bell), and then slowly look for a real header when one pops up at a good price to store away. Unfortunately that's the best image I could find and it's hard to see what the rest of the metal rack looks like.

I recently picked up a 5 sided "Hey Kids". it has the 4 legged chrome stand with the greyish painted wire racks.

Question: What year(s) are these "Hey Kids" racks from? I was originally thinking 80's but are they older?

No, I think they range from late 50's through to early 70's. The 70's racks were the ones with the topper with cartoon illustrations of Superman, Archie, Richie Rich and Spider-Man.

Will it be expensive? I'll probably want a repro bell header for displaying (top display cardboard sign in the shape of a bell), and then slowly look for a real header when one pops up at a good price to store away. Unfortunately that's the best image I could find and it's hard to see what the rest of the metal rack looks like.

It will be reasonable. I'm not above working for trade. hm

No, I think they range from late 50's through to early 70's. The 70's racks were the ones with the topper with cartoon illustrations of Superman, Archie, Richie Rich and Spider-Man.

The drug store where I bought comics in the early-mid 1970s had two "Hey Kids" racks.

It's possible they were older as that drug store had been there for 30 years before that.

Ah, That explains it then. Thanks for the info. My collecting started in the 70's and I do remember the Supes, Richie, etc. style racks. I thought these "Hey Kids" came after but am pleased to know they are older.

As someone in this thread suggested, I would love to see a comic spinner rack timeline/history web page or book come about!

The drug store where I bought comics in the early-mid 1970s had two "Hey Kids" racks.

It's possible they were older as that drug store had been there for 30 years before that.

Exactly the reason I believed the "Hey Kids" were from the 80's as the CS I bought from during that time had them in their store.

Yes sir, 2 of the sides on the rack I pictured are missing a sign on the top.

It will be reasonable. I'm not above working for trade. hm

(thumbs u

The pocket widths are a pretty good determinant of period. I have an 80's period rack, and you can only fit modern-sized bags and boards in the pockets. The Hey Kids's racks are usually wide enough to put Silver Mylite 2's. The DELL spinner I have is definitely 50's as the pocket width can accommodate slabs. That said, I believe of the 4 Hey Kids comic racks I have, they are all different generations, and while there isn't a lot of age gap between each, certain tweaks (like Mark's digest metal rack that mounts on the topper) can help date them in a more exacting way. I believe the one I picked up most recent is the earliest Hey Kids I own because of the legs/footings, and I would date it early to mid 60's.