• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Spinner Racks
1 1

204 posts in this topic

Mid-70's should be right on the money. This style was still in use into the 80's, but I believe the later ones may have had plastic toppers instead of metal ones. I'm not entirely sure on that, but I think that may be the case.

I have a 4 sided version of this rack, and mine was definitely '74 or later, as the slots are too narrow to fit silver age sized books. The width of the comics changed during the 25 cent era and mine can only fit the smaller modern sized books. If you can fit silver age sized books in your spinner you may have an earlier version.

Dell_Rack.jpg

I saw one of these for sale on Ebay a few months ago but the seller wouldn't ship it to Canada. Looks great!

Still working on acquiring mine, I have a great lead and hope to have it home soon. Thanks to Mike of Phoenix comics.

Here is the spinner rack I purchased unfortunately without a base. doh!

I presume it is from the early to mid 70s but if anyone believes/knows differently, please let me know. The image is the same on each of the sides.

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

That is a 70's rack, although I have a standalone version of this rack and the artwork on Superman is different. A 4 row version of this rack also exists, which leads me to believe this is probably the 2 or 3 generation rack.

I presume it is from the early to mid 70s but if anyone believes/knows differently, please let me know. The image is the same on each of the sides.

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

I am thinking some kind of spinning base could be attached to that rack so it would "spin". Something like a fan base, lamp base?

Very cool display Mark!

I have a line on a comic spinner rack but it looks like it's got quite a bit of surface rust. Has anyone tried reconditioning on of these?

I'm at the point where I really don't need another one and would prefer one that doesn't need to be cleaned-up, but I'm also thinking it might be worth just spraying a fresh coat of paint on it if I can get it cheaply enough.

DSC_0025.jpg

This is the same one I have. 5 rows, 5 columns. Same Supes. Mine is also missing the base & the bottom rack, which is also 5 x 5 I believe. Mine does have part of the center pole assembly.

Great for desktop display at home or a tabletop display at shows!

No picture yet, but on Monday I will be picking up a spinner rack from a store that is closing and selling off all the merch, racks, displays, counters, etc. Anyone want a safe?

Anyway, it's not a comic rack or even a magazine rack. It's a Rand McNally map display. Double sided, it's about a comic and a half in width, but there are dividers so I can partition it out a bit.

Not one of the awesome vintage ones like the above pic and it's blue, but I will take it. I'll get pics up when I can.

One thing I will look for some suggestions on is customizing it. There are decals for the map company and a cardboard insert that runs the height of it. I figure I can print up something and use that as the backing. The word "comics", images of superheroes, etc. You guys always have good suggestions, so I will be sure to get a pic up when I can!

No picture yet, but on Monday I will be picking up a spinner rack from a store that is closing and selling off all the merch, racks, displays, counters, etc. Anyone want a safe?

Anyway, it's not a comic rack or even a magazine rack. It's a Rand McNally map display. Double sided, it's about a comic and a half in width, but there are dividers so I can partition it out a bit.

Not one of the awesome vintage ones like the above pic and it's blue, but I will take it. I'll get pics up when I can.

One thing I will look for some suggestions on is customizing it. There are decals for the map company and a cardboard insert that runs the height of it. I figure I can print up something and use that as the backing. The word "comics", images of superheroes, etc. You guys always have good suggestions, so I will be sure to get a pic up when I can!

Ok got it home today. This is what it looks like. I snagged it quickly and didn't really investigate it much... wider than I had remembered.

IMG_9766_zpsf6d73dff.jpg

The branding below each shelf are stickers, but there's a slot so I can feed in a piece of paper or cardboard or whatever else. The long ones flipped around and I can do the same. This is where the customization comes into play...

I threw in some random stacks. This one will likely damage the books, so generally just fun stuff for the kids to snag if they want. It's not quite the width of 2 comics, which would be convenient... Oh well.

IMG_9767_zpsad7410ee.jpg

IMG_9768_zps4db1154d.jpg

Edited by yecul