• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Spinner Racks
1 1

204 posts in this topic

Along the same vein, I work in retail and all kinds of fixtures get tossed. I salvaged this one. It was a calender end-cap and displays comics nicely.

comicrack004_zpsf44356c6.jpg

comicrack003_zps1a4dab7c.jpg

comicrack002_zps07e8572a.jpg

comicrack001_zps78e3329d.jpg

It loads on three sides and holds a ton of books. There's another on sitting behind the store right now, and I'm trying to figure out how to get it into the house without my wife thinking I'm preparing to go on a spending spree.

Along the same vein, I work in retail and all kinds of fixtures get tossed. I salvaged this one. It was a calender end-cap and displays comics nicely.

comicrack004_zpsf44356c6.jpg

comicrack003_zps1a4dab7c.jpg

comicrack002_zps07e8572a.jpg

comicrack001_zps78e3329d.jpg

It loads on three sides and holds a ton of books. There's another on sitting behind the store right now, and I'm trying to figure out how to get it into the house without my wife thinking I'm preparing to go on a spending spree.

dang, i want this

First off, that stand is awesome.

Anyway, a follow up to the map display I bought I have begun customizing the blank/branded space on the rack. I have a little space left on this side and likely some reorganizing to do, but overall I'm happy. The other side is blank and I have no idea what to put below each rack yet.

IMG_9775_zpsc8c31d4a.jpg

IMG_9776_zps32197c5b.jpg

IMG_9777_zpsd5e68a71.jpg

First off, that stand is awesome.

Anyway, a follow up to the map display I bought I have begun customizing the blank/branded space on the rack. I have a little space left on this side and likely some reorganizing to do, but overall I'm happy. The other side is blank and I have no idea what to put below each rack yet.

IMG_9775_zpsc8c31d4a.jpg

IMG_9776_zps32197c5b.jpg

IMG_9777_zpsd5e68a71.jpg

Love what you've done to it. Are you going to cover the Rand Mcnally branding? Shame you can't fit the comics 2 wide. Maybe some cool paperbacks on the side to take up the dead air.

Old thread bump, but as the starter of this thread I thought I would report I finally have a comic spinner. Thanks very much to Mike of Phoenix Comics in Calgary for the spinner.

Once I get it finished the way i want it, I will post a pic.

:)

My Craigslist pickup of the weekend.

comicspinner.jpg

Pretty sure it's not the original legs. The panels are in decent shape with some chipping here and there. Some of the wires are getting a little rust underneath.

What do you think, should I repaint the wires and leave the paint chips off the panels for character??

Pretty sure it's not the original legs. The panels are in decent shape with some chipping here and there. Some of the wires are getting a little rust underneath.

What do you think, should I repaint the wires and leave the paint chips off the panels for character??

:applause:

Leave it as is! As kids, we didn't care about about the condition of the rack -- what was ON it was what mattered.

I was tempted to oil the bearings on my spinner rack (identical to yours) when I got it a few years ago at an auction, but I'm glad I didn't -- to me, that memorable squeaking sound as you spin it around looking for just the right book is a big part of the nostalgia and charm!

:applause:

Leave it as is! As kids, we didn't care about about the condition of the rack -- what was ON it was what mattered.

I was tempted to oil the bearings on my spinner rack (identical to yours) when I got it a few years ago at an auction, but I'm glad I didn't -- to me, that memorable squeaking sound as you spin it around looking for just the right book is a big part of the nostalgia and charm!

True, true. As I read your post I actually heard that noise in my head

Out of the three racks I've had in that style, one had identical base, one had identical base but painted same color as the wires, and one had a solid steel base welded up out of flat stock, with four short flat feet on the bottom of the legs, with suction cup-looking plastic tips on each. I believe they were all original to the spinners, just different generations of manufacture.

Oh, and I completely agree, a bit of squeak is an intergal part of ANY spinner rack!

They sell for strong prices on eBay. I'd try craigslist or Googling spinner rack for sale (use the State your located in as a search term). I see these come up a lot more frequently in the US than where I live. Just give it some time.

What is the current market value of a 'HEY!!KIDS COMICS" rack?

I bought two last year.

One was rust free and cost $180.

One was good condition, a little rust and $140.

Another local one sold for $150.

Another one is for sale for $400, but no ones buying it.

Apparently if I didn't take them, they had 5 or 6 others lined up to buy immediately. All would have been higher if the seller took best offers.

I got a steal for both of them, after years of looking for one.

I feel both were underpriced, and would have gone upwards for $250. I know a couple local guys have a standing offer of $250 for one.

So I'd agree with the guy above me, $300 for a excellent condition one is reasonable, albeit a little high.

Take from that what you will. Some areas are different than others, too.

Here in Calgary they are far harder to find. When I was in Montreal I found 4 in a summer with a little leg work years ago.