• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fanzines & Magazines about Comic Books
2 2

208 posts in this topic

A few more images of classic comic book fanzines from the 1960's:

Rocket's Blast Comicollector #44 from April 1966 – Features the first RBCC cover from legendary fandom artist John G Fantucchio!

RBCC44_Black_Terror_cover_by_Fantucchio_995x1284px_300dpi.jpg

Sense of Wonder #7 from April/May 1969 – The rarest of Bill Schelly’s classic series, this issue sports a stunning offset John G Fantucchio cover and great all-ditto interiors with work from George Metzger, Ronn Foss, Alan Hutchinson, Alan Hanley, Earl Blair Jr, Raymond Miller and other fandom luminaries!

Sense-of-Wonder7.jpg

Star Studded Comics #1 from June 1963 – Star Studded Comics was one of the greatest amateur super hero stripzines ever, and served as a training ground for future pro writers and artists. Published by the Texas Trio (Larry Herndon, Buddy Saunders and Howard Keltner), SSC featured the early work of George R. R. Martin, Jim Starlin, Rich Buckler, Al Milgrom, Dave Cockrum and many others. While the issue has a cover date of Sept 1963, the book was actually mailed in June '63. With a print-run of 250, this is the rarest of the 18 Star Studded Comics published.

Star_Studded_Comics_1.jpg

A few more images of classic comic book fanzines from the 1960's/70's:

Utopia/Valhalla #1 from May 1970 – This one has been posted before by our own EwanUK, who recently sold this issue for $5100 on ebay!!! You may ask why? Well it features the first published work of a young lad named Alan Moore. He writes an article entitled “Howard Philip Lovecraft” which ends by stating “© Alan Moore 1969” which means he must have written it when he was 15 or maybe 16 years old.

Utopia-Valhalla1.png

Voice of Comicdom #12 from June 1968 – This particular issue is very collectable as it contains “Monsters Rule,” the first published comic strip work of Richard Corben!

Voice_of_comicdom_12.jpg

Web Spinner #1 from May 1965 – An excellent Marvel dittozine featuring Gene’s Klein’s "The Fabulous Career of Captain America" article. Klein is now known as the the tongue waggling Demon, Gene Simmons of rock band KISS, and contributed to later issues of Web Spinner.

WebSpinner1.jpg

Xero #1, Sept 1960 – Though not really a comic fanzine, XERO was a key building block in the creation of comics fandom. Produced by Richard and Pat Lupoff (with Bhob Stewart), it was a widely circulated science fiction fanzine that began to examine comic books thru the pivotal series “All In Color For A Dime”. Those articles help focus the attention of would-be comic fans in comic books, and the entire series was later reprinted in book form. XERO went on to win a Hugo, and some of the articles were reprinted many years later in a hardback book.

Xero1.jpg

Ymir 2 from Feb 1965 – Johnny Chambers’ awesome dittozine is noteworthy because it happens to include George R. R. Martin’s first published text story “Meet the Executioner,” starring his Manta Ray costumed hero creation.

Ymir2_GRRM.jpg

Cool stuff. I was aware that Martin and Simmons had been comic fans back in the day, but I was unaware of their contributions to fanzines.

Amazingly, Gene Simmons was a major contributor to over 180 comic, sci-fi and horror fanzines from 1965-70. He contributed art, articles comments and was an amazing letter hack, mostly to obtain free fanzines. He also edited (or co-edited) and published his own fanzines including Mantis, Faun, Cosmos and Cosmostiletto. I have Faun #14 and have had access to Cosmostiletto issues, and they were horribly printed in ditto, sometimes with a nicer offset cover, but pretty much crudzines. Gene's writings were pretty good though, very direct and honest - much like he is today.

I attended the NY Comicon in 1974 but I don't remember seeing that. It was a long time ago. In fact, I haven't seen any of the fanzines on this page and I have seen a lot of fanzines. Thanks for putting them up.

thanks for the reply, I was told Jerry Iger help with this fanzine. and this copy comes from his personal collection. hopefully someone in the boards seen this fanzine before or has info. thanks Ron

I love Fanzines. The most I have are in Amazing Heroes, Comics Journal, Wizard, and Comic Reader I have others that I am most fond of. I also have some Comics Readers.

100_3383_zps8kiptujf.jpg

100_3384_zpsgr03h1nd.jpg

100_3385_zpsrg27z4bk.jpg

100_3386_zpsmkul7yzx.jpg

100_3387_zpsysfwvghl.jpg

100_3388_zpsgnk6ng7v.jpg

100_3389_zpsurfuy7bs.jpg

100_3390_zpsi7twmbiw.jpg