• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fanzines & Magazines about Comic Books
2 2

208 posts in this topic

The Comic World #16 - Year 1978

comicworld160001.jpg

Full mag length Golden Age Sheena of the Jungle review with pics, fan art, biblio, and reviews.

Not to be confused with Captain George's Comic World, a very long running fanzine. This is the shorter run with the sporatic printing schedule that was done by Robert Jennings and Harry Thomas. Who? you say. Why none other than the teenage friends of Mr. Robert Overstreet. Overstreet even contributed to a few of the zines, though not this particular issue. These can be pricey issues to obtain.

Harry Thomas was from my hometown and a good friend. Bob Overstreet grew up just 30 minutes from me, but I never met him(just saw him at a Cleveland, Tn comic store a few times, never had the nerve to go up to him...hey, I was a kid and he was a grown man at the time). lol

I gave away a couple of these zines during past CGC secret santa years. One of the few instances where I actually miss having the mags. Lucky dogs. :grin:

Thanks for sharing the zines, :cloud9: and some background on them also.

Excellent job on sharing some of those older fanzines. I was hoping some fellow collectors would join in and share some. :applause:

Comic Book Marketplace

I miss this magazine! I was late to the party, as my first issue was in the low 80's,

but it was fun while it lasted. I just ran a check to see how long this magazine

ran, and found the information on the Mile High Site. The last issue was #121, May 2005.

They also have back issues for sale.

I seem to recall that I usually read Michelle Nolans column first. The magazine did

a terrific job of featuring artists & comic book titles with numerous color pictures.

CBM_107.jpg

Loved Comicbook Marketplace, the early Gary Carter edited issues are best and many people dislike the later issues, but I liked them all.

Alter Ego is the best mag around nowadays.

I recall the magazine had a gradual shift waway from Silver and Bronze. I also recall a shift towards collectible figurines and the like. All of that was well and good, but I preferred the focus to be on comics.

I may have to obtain a copy of Alter Ego, I have never purchased one.

I was gutted when CBM ended.

I couldnt quite get away with Alter Ego, still have quite a few though.

Do you concur with Whizzer that the magazine was best under Gary Carter?

I preferred the focus to be on Golden and Silver Age books, and had the impression the magazine was moving away from that focus. In retospect perhaps I was being too harsh, as the magazine was still quite good, and definitely better than not being published at all.

FrozenTundraGuy, I cannot stress enough that if you are interested in the silver and golden ages then you really should be reading Alter Ego. Also noticing your avatar, each issue features the Fawcett Collectors of America section heavily featuring The Big Red Cheese.

It is edited by Roy Thomas and has just gone over to full colour. It's not that easy to obtain on this side of the pond, but I buy every issue I see.

I hope you check it out nd enjoy it. (thumbs u

FrozenTundraGuy, I cannot stress enough that if you are interested in the silver and golden ages then you really should be reading Alter Ego. Also noticing your avatar, each issue features the Fawcett Collectors of America section heavily featuring The Big Red Cheese.

It is edited by Roy Thomas and has just gone over to full colour. It's not that easy to obtain on this side of the pond, but I buy every issue I see.

The above highlight is really the most important aspect of Alter Ego, Roy Thomas.

Edited by blutobc

Alter Ego is published by TwoMorrows publishing and they put out a wealth of stuff for the comic book lover that is really interested in the history,people and back stories of everything comics.You may be able to get digital editions direct from them.They do have current editions available,not sure how far back they go.Here their web site with all the info you should need.

http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=98_55

I ordered a couple of Dave Stevens issues from them and was well pleased with their service.

The above highlight is really the most important aspect of Alter Ego, Roy Thomas.

blutobloc & Whizzer. Thanks for the information on Alter Ego. I took some time and read an interview from the link provided. Good stuff. (thumbs u I will be on the lookout for this magainze the next time I visit the LCS.

I ordered a couple of Dave Stevens issues from them and was well pleased with their service.

Speaking of Mr. Stevens. One of my prized posessions. :grin:

(thumbs u

prized possession indeed.

Here's one of the very first Comic Fanzines. It was edited by Jerry Bails and Roy Thomas (perhaps the "fathers" of Comic Fandom). It's from 1962 and I've pulled up 9 pages, including the cover, Jerry Bails parting letter to fans, the Official list of "Alley Awards" for 1961 publications, an "Honor Roll" of writers, Artists and Publishers associated with the Alley winners, Roy Thomas' summary of the awards, and a Jack kirby sketch...

Up first, the Cover; (it's now autographed by Roy Thomas)

Alter-Ego.jpg