• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,874 posts in this topic

If anyone has lead or copies of Filipino Star Wars episode 4 classic Chaykin books please pm.   I will make it worth while for you.    They are distinguished by Alemar Bookstores House ad on back cover 

thanks 

I don't have a lot of foreign editions, but whenever I travel to other countries, I try to hit up their comic shops to buy some local comics as souvenirs. 

I made a video about my small collection of souvenir foreign comics here - a couple of them are original works from those countries, but most of them are foreign editions of U.S. comics. 

On 5/8/2020 at 6:30 PM, gadzukes said:

And finally some WDC&S with different covers than the US versions.

I LOVE the Gas Mask cover.

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

I have to say: WHERE did you get these gadzukes? They are among the rarest Disney comic books in the world, specially if they are from the 40's. They are also are some of the more influential and important Disney material in the world. Also, If I am not mistake, Argentina was the second country to publish Disney material in a modern comic book format and the first to officially produce Disney stories (with Disney permission). Plus, they are pretty much responsible for development of the Brazilian industry (the founder of the main Disney's publisher in Brazil is the younger brother of the founder of the Argentine publisher) which would became one the biggest producers of Disney stories in the world, and that perhaps reached reached the highest absolute printing numbers of all time.

2 hours ago, Kromak said:

I have to say: WHERE did you get these gadzukes? They are among the rarest Disney comic books in the world, specially if they are from the 40's. They are also are some of the more influential and important Disney material in the world. Also, If I am not mistake, Argentina was the second country to publish Disney material in a modern comic book format and the first to officially produce Disney stories (with Disney permission). Plus, they are pretty much responsible for development of the Brazilian industry (the founder of the main Disney's publisher in Brazil is the younger brother of the founder of the Argentine publisher) which would became one the biggest producers of Disney stories in the world, and that perhaps reached reached the highest absolute printing numbers of all time.

I don't think these are as difficult to find as you think.  Just punch "El Pato Donald" into an ebay search and you will see many come up at very reasonable prices (some from the 1940s)

I chose these 3 because the cover art looks to be original and not a copy of any US version.  I think I paid $10 each for them.

I also like that they have more than Disney Stories inside.

I think these came out weekly so there are probably about 2000 different issues.  The GCD doesn't have photos for the complete set.  They only have one of mine so I should send them photos of the other two.

On 7/24/2020 at 6:06 PM, gadzukes said:

I don't think these are as difficult to find as you think.  Just punch "El Pato Donald" into an ebay search and you will see many come up at very reasonable prices (some from the 1940s)

I chose these 3 because the cover art looks to be original and not a copy of any US version.  I think I paid $10 each for them.

I also like that they have more than Disney Stories inside.

I think these came out weekly so there are probably about 2000 different issues.  The GCD doesn't have photos for the complete set.  They only have one of mine so I should send them photos of the other two.

From what I saw, they are all from a single seller? If so, that's definitely not a good metric. Go to the Argentinean MercadoLibre. There, I only found TWO copies of El Pato Donald from before 1950, in the last few months.

17 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I hope you have deep pockets

Without hope, you've got nothing...

What I'm really hoping is to find them mixed in with a bunch of other cr*p that I don't really want. And that no one notices them but me. This is how I built up most of my Captain Britain collection. It takes time, but it's possible. :wishluck:

6 hours ago, rakehell said:

Without hope, you've got nothing...

What I'm really hoping is to find them mixed in with a bunch of other cr*p that I don't really want. And that no one notices them but me. This is how I built up most of my Captain Britain collection. It takes time, but it's possible. :wishluck:

That's how I want to find my Action 1 :headbang:

Truthfully, I bought a 2" pile of coverless incomplete GA comics on ebay about 15 years ago for $50 and there was a Page 1 to Superman 1, and a complete interior to Superman 2 (the wraps were all scattered but there).  Also, last year I bought a pile of covereless cr*p that I spotted an All Star 8 in, and another auction of coverless cr*p that I spotted a Suspense 3 in.  So what you say is possible

16 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Truthfully, I bought a 2" pile of coverless incomplete GA comics on ebay about 15 years ago for $50 and there was a Page 1 to Superman 1, and a complete interior to Superman 2 (the wraps were all scattered but there).  Also, last year I bought a pile of covereless cr*p that I spotted an All Star 8 in, and another auction of coverless cr*p that I spotted a Suspense 3 in.  So what you say is possible

Nice. About 30 years ago I bought a pile of coverless stuff & found an Atom #1 in it sitting on top of the cover wrap for... Atom #1. That doubled my money on the purchase. There were a few early SA horror books in there as well, The Thing, Spellbound, stuff like that. The guy also offered me a half-decent copy of Conan #1 for 20 bucks, which I said 'no thanks' to. Wish I'd taken that. Of course, if I had, I would have sold it by now, so I still wouldn't have one. (shrug)