• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,874 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

I think there's a strong argument that that O Globo cover swipe is actually a much better cover than the one they swiped from. And that's despite being hamstrung by the presence of, um, Stripesy (I have no idea what that kid's name is either).

Yes, the artwork is better.  More detail in the anatomy.

The boys name is Roy, I think he is the sidekick of The Wizard.

3 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Yes, the artwork is better.  More detail in the anatomy.

The boys name is Roy, I think he is the sidekick of The Wizard.

Also because the characters giving the V for Victory sign (it wouldn't become the peace sign for a couple more decades) lends a lot more depth of character than Robin's cross-armed smirk or Batman... who looks for all the world like he's on a carnival ride.

1 minute ago, Qalyar said:

Also because the characters giving the V for Victory sign (it wouldn't become the peace sign for a couple more decades) lends a lot more depth of character than Robin's cross-armed smirk or Batman... who looks for all the world like he's on a carnival ride.

Yes, V for Victory, what was I thinking?

I have a few of these O Globos from this era (WWII) and the "pin-up" pictures on the back covers almost always have the characters flashing Victory signs.

5 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Yes, V for Victory, what was I thinking?

I have a few of these O Globos from this era (WWII) and the "pin-up" pictures on the back covers almost always have the characters flashing Victory signs.

Gotta love it when they flash the V..200-1.gif.bd248edadbf17fcb33aca96255bb77ae.gif

On 3/9/2021 at 12:02 AM, gadzukes said:

Another great O Globo issue.  This one has SO much going for it.  A cover swipe from World's Finest 7, only this one has Superman, BlackHood & (who is this kid again?  I can't remember his name.... Stripesy?). They're all flashing peace signs which is also different from the WF cover.

And a great Superman pin-up on the back cover.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

FullSizeRender-3.jpeg

FullSizeRender-5.jpeg

Great acquisition. Besides being the second ever crossover cover, it's a low number Globo Juvenil, which means very scarce. And you did get it while the exchange rate is by far, the lowest ever.

Edited by Kromak

4 hours ago, andyborehol said:

Just got a big early Claremont X-men collection in from Spain. Many are in rough condition, but the price was right and I LOVE Spanish books from this era that have original covers like the last 5 do. IMG_4492.thumb.JPG.4f7bae3dce108ed5b441bf2ac0255364.JPGIMG_4493.thumb.JPG.e6744fcce4119da2b8aae4da9029e3f8.JPGIMG_4494.thumb.jpg.18d98fa867bcc54e4be98d1661d16e78.jpg

Same. Always refreshing to see something knew, at least when they are a quality work, which these ones certainly are!

19 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I have been after a higher grade version of this book for years. Due to paper quality and it being from Germany in 1966 there just are not good examples of it to be found easily. I had the only graded copy for the longest time, but several years ago sold it to a collector back in Germany. That one was a lone census CGC 4.5.  It still to date is the only graded copy. It was the first time Superman appeared in comic format in Germany.  I finally found one , that from the photographs would be higher and promptly bought it in November.  I thought it was lost, but today this arrived.  I could not be happier.  :cloud9:

20210329_185053.thumb.jpg.bfa9886d3b9ae774650821b4d610546e.jpg20210329_185102.thumb.jpg.3252fee00a3f0c5379e0addf7bbf2429.jpg

Once you get it graded it will certainly be the NEW highest graded on the census.

7 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I'm assuming you're planning to press it.  With a press it looks like it's going to grade very high.

Congrats

Yes. It will be headed to Joey to work his magic as it definitely will benefit.  Thank you again. 

CA9270FC-0B16-40AD-8C44-508BC8F42E14.thumb.jpeg.efc0dc07b13e0233df61778ae3cc841e.jpeg

German “museum” edition with a “publisher’s proof” number! I’ll confess that I laughed for wayyyy too long when I first found it because I couldn’t stop thinking about the Venture Brothers episode where they kept talking about a guy who had “PP” on his belt.

Edited by andyborehol

I've been picking up some of these Brazilian comics.  The covers are so colorful and unique. 

This one is doubly special because it has WWII Sub-Mariner on the front looking at a German U-Boat, and an awesome Superman WWII back cover.  I believe that Superman back cover is unique to this issue too.... has anyone seen that art on a US comic?

IMG_4911.jpeg

FullSizeRender-5.jpeg

Edited by gadzukes