• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,872 posts in this topic

This is Supercomix Spiderman #4 1978(Spiderman 122).

SpideySA.jpg

I have said this before but I think it is worth repeating. South African Supercomix really have to be in our estimation some of the rarest bronze age comics in the world. According to our sources, most kids in SA preferred the American originals to the local output. This bias didn't bode well for these books. Not easy to find in any condition, when you come across any Supercomix they are like a jewel. On top of that posters were included, so finding one intact is even rarer. This book still has the poster of Peter Falk along with the prize winners on the reverse sides attached to the spine. Another interesting aspect I noticed. The publisher kept Bugle editor Robbie Robertson black. Would have been pretty easy to change his skin tone but press didn't. It doesn't seem like any apartheid racial censorship happened in this instance. This is a wonderful aspect to supercomix comic books. Also, on prize winner pages all races our represented wether black, white or any race. All SA kids read these books and joined the many competitions for watches, radios etc. Press appears to be on the right side of history in South Africa and it's a joy to own a few of these books in my collection.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Recent additions to my set.

I missed out on a Mexican edition that had missing pieces in top left corner on front of the book and some stains or foxing on the back cover. I consider myself fortunate because I found a copy that presents better with no stains etc. on the back cover.

I am currently still searching for the Australian editions along with the John Romita classic #74 from Spain to complete the set.

image_zpsb1hx46wi.jpeg

image_zpsnvc8st0q.jpeg

Recent additions to my set.

I missed out on a Mexican edition that had missing pieces in top left corner on front of the book and some stains or foxing on the back cover. I consider myself fortunate because I found a copy that presents better with no stains etc. on the back cover.

I am currently still searching for the Australian editions along with the John Romita classic #74 from Spain to complete the set.

image_zpsb1hx46wi.jpeg

image_zpsnvc8st0q.jpeg

Looking great, man! (thumbs u

SORRY FOR THE OFF TOPIC

Hello. I intend to use this information for research.

I'm conducting a survey about how many foreign comics do collectors buy a month. Please take 2 seconds of your time to vote.

_LGRpOwYLe32Oog-A0E7i1CFDIRUwXqkWaq1yLA/viewform'>foreign comics survey

I will end my survey 08/15/16

Thank you

Elisa

SORRY FOR THE OFF TOPIC

Hello. I intend to use this information for research.

I'm conducting a survey about how many foreign comics do collectors buy a month. Please take 2 seconds of your time to vote.

_LGRpOwYLe32Oog-A0E7i1CFDIRUwXqkWaq1yLA/viewform'>foreign comics survey

I will end my survey 08/15/16

Thank you

Elisa

Your options where 1, 2, or 3. hahahahaha maybe per week. : )

cool to see so many new Foreign collectors.

I picked this up off of eBay.

A4C59F4F-FEF8-438D-8E32-4AD185BF2021_zpsidxpz1c1.jpg

59378002-EA08-4D1B-9359-32F848C0A6A1_zpsoukt25rm.jpg

I stumbled upon this thread not too long ago. What's the best way to find out what foreign editions of a book exist (in my case, Vengeance of Bane)?

That is a cool book. (thumbs u

One place to check is the Grand Comic Database website. Chances are, for newer foreign comics, they are already known about and in their database.

You can also visit http://www.foreigncomicdb.com and ask, although some of the members there are on these boards and I suspect one or two of them will be along shortly to help you out.

Some of what you want might be documented, but as the foreign comic collectors can tell you, there are books being discovered all the time. I'm hyper-focused on just Star Wars comics from around the world and I'm making new discoveries all the time on books I never knew existed or there is no online information about. One of the biggest barriers to understanding all of what is available is the differences in languages. Looking for "Vengeance of Bane" will yield information from English speaking countries and possibly some European countries, but you really need to spend time learning the different ways to query the title in different languages.

In many ways, the people who are into foreign comic books are pioneers. Future collectors will benefit from the research they are doing today. And the best aspect of foreign comic collecting IMHO is actually having to hunt for books whereas 99.9% of U.S. books can be purchased anytime with price being the only barrier. You'll hear how hard it is to find a book all the time on these forums, but in most cases, what people really mean is a comic is expensive or it is hard to find in high grade. (Look at all the modern variant covers that sell for thousands of dollars, which can be purchased if you just had the money.) When it comes to foreign books, availability is on a completely different scale. In many cases, with foreign comic collecting, just knowing about a comic may not be enough and one copy may become available every few years or even longer. But, you also have to be aware of local conditions to understand if the comic really is scarce, or just scarce to foreigners.

I hope you do learn more and decide to track down more foreign copies of this book. I find collecting foreign comics much more rewarding than collecting U.S. comics. Again, for me, it is the whole "thrill of the hunt" that I find so enjoyable about the hobby.

Edited by rjrjr